FEMA: FAKES EMERGENCY MEDIA ADVISORY Conference

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 04:33 pm
FEMA Meets the Press, Which Happens to Be . . . FEMA

By Al Kamen
Friday, October 26, 2007; A19

FEMA has truly learned the lessons of Katrina. Even its handling of the media has improved dramatically. For example, as the California wildfires raged Tuesday, Vice Adm. Harvey E. Johnson, the deputy administrator, had a 1 p.m. news briefing.

Reporters were given only 15 minutes' notice of the briefing, making it unlikely many could show up at FEMA's Southwest D.C. offices.

They were given an 800 number to call in, though it was a "listen only" line, the notice said -- no questions. Parts of the briefing were carried live on Fox News (see the Fox News video of the news conference carried on the Think Progress Web site), MSNBC and other outlets.

Johnson stood behind a lectern and began with an overview before saying he would take a few questions. The first questions were about the "commodities" being shipped to Southern California and how officials are dealing with people who refuse to evacuate. He responded eloquently.

He was apparently quite familiar with the reporters -- in one case, he appears to say "Mike" and points to a reporter -- and was asked an oddly in-house question about "what it means to have an emergency declaration as opposed to a major disaster declaration" signed by the president. He once again explained smoothly.

FEMA press secretary Aaron Walker interrupted at one point to caution he'd allow just "two more questions." Later, he called for a "last question."

"Are you happy with FEMA's response so far?" a reporter asked. Another asked about "lessons learned from Katrina."

"I'm very happy with FEMA's response so far," Johnson said, hailing "a very smoothly, very efficiently performing team."

"And so I think what you're really seeing here is the benefit of experience, the benefit of good leadership and the benefit of good partnership," Johnson said, "none of which were present in Katrina." (Wasn't Michael Chertoff DHS chief then?) Very smooth, very professional. But something didn't seem right. The reporters were lobbing too many softballs. No one asked about trailers with formaldehyde for those made homeless by the fires. And the media seemed to be giving Johnson all day to wax on and on about FEMA's greatness.

Of course, that could be because the questions were asked by FEMA staffers playing reporters. We're told the questions were asked by Cindy Taylor, FEMA's deputy director of external affairs, and by "Mike" Widomski, the deputy director of public affairs. Director of External Affairs John "Pat" Philbin asked a question, and another came, we understand, from someone who sounds like press aide Ali Kirin.

Asked about this, Widomski said: "We had been getting mobbed with phone calls from reporters, and this was thrown together at the last minute."

But the staff did not make up the questions, he said, and Johnson did not know what was going to be asked. "We pulled questions from those we had been getting from reporters earlier in the day." Despite the very short notice, "we were expecting the press to come," he said, but they didn't. So the staff played reporters for what on TV looked just like the real thing.

"If the worst thing that happens to me in this disaster is that we had staff in the chairs to ask questions that reporters had been asking all day, Widomski said, "trust me, I'll be happy."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 716 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 04:34 pm
US agency apologizes for news conference on fires
26 Oct 2007 19:35:03 GMT
Source: Reuters
By Randall Mikkelsen

WASHINGTON, Oct 26 (Reuters) - The U.S. government's main disaster-response agency apologized on Friday for having its employees pose as reporters in a hastily called news conference on California's wildfires that no news organizations attended.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency, still struggling to restore its image after the bungled handling of Hurricane Katrina in 2005, issued the apology after The Washington Post published details of the Tuesday briefing.

"We can and must do better, and apologize for this error in judgment," FEMA deputy administrator Harvey Johnson, who conducted the briefing, said in a statement. "Our intent was to provide useful information and be responsive to the many questions we have received."

No actual reporter attended the news conference in person, agency spokesman Aaron Walker said.

A spokeswoman for Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff, who has authority over FEMA, called the incident "inexcusable and offensive to the secretary."

"We have made it clear that stunts such as this will not be tolerated or repeated," spokeswoman Laura Keehner said. She said the department was looking at the possibility of reprimanding those responsible.

The agency had called the briefing with about 15 minutes notice as federal officials headed for southern California to oversee and assist in firefighting and rescue efforts. Reporters were also given a telephone number to listen in on but could not ask questions.

But with no reporters on hand and an agency video camera providing a feed carried live by some television networks, FEMA press employees posed the questions for Johnson that included: "Are you happy with FEMA's response so far?"

According to Friday's Post account, which Walker confirmed, Johnson replied that he was "very happy with FEMA's response so far."

He also said the agency had the benefit of "good leadership" and other factors, "none of which were present at Katrina." Chertoff was head of the Homeland Security Department during Katrina.

FEMA's administrator during Katrina, Michael Brown, resigned amid widespread criticism over his handling of the disaster, despite U.S. President George W. Bush's initial declaration that he was doing a "heck of a job."

E-mails between Brown and his colleagues over the course of the storm revealed a preoccupation with his media image, including his declaration, "I am a fashion god."

FEMA is reviewing its press procedures and will make changes to ensure they are "straightforward and transparent," Johnson said on Friday.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 05:15 pm
Setanta was just watching a piece on this on the BBC.

<overheard from the living room area>

"their sleaze knows no depths"
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 05:21 pm
Thank you, butrfly. FEMA still owes me $7,000.00 from hurricane Frances.

Rip off all the way
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 10:19 pm
MSNBC covered this tonight as well. These people (not just the administration, but the modern conservative movement) understand the very real power of information control and it is pervasive throughout their operations. It is, for example, the reason that Fox exists. It is why most conservative 'think tanks' have been established. It is why independent media have been and are being constantly derogated and bullied.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 10:38 pm
blatham wrote:
MSNBC covered this tonight as well. These people (not just the administration, but the modern conservative movement) understand the very real power of information control and it is pervasive throughout their operations. It is, for example, the reason that Fox exists. It is why most conservative 'think tanks' have been established. It is why independent media have been and are being constantly derogated and bullied.

Laughing Rolling Eyes

Quote:

The real power of information control

Could you be more hyperbolic perhaps Blatham?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 10:44 pm
John P. "Pat" Philbin, FEMA's director of external affairs, who said ..

Quote:
"It was absolutely a bad decision. I regret it happened. Certainly . . . I should have stopped it. I hope readers understand we're working very hard to establish credibility and integrity, and I would hope this does not undermine it."

... has been named as the new head of public affairs at the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, ODNI spokeswoman Vanee Vines said (Thursday was his last day with FEMA).
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 11:08 pm
This sounds so much like masturbating, while simulating moans from your missing partner.

And I haven't become a liberal, in case anybody's wondering
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 12:17 am
roger wrote:
This sounds so much like masturbating, while simulating moans from your missing partner.

However, we ARE opening your eyes.......millilillipillimeter at a time.... :wink:

Actually, I can kind of understand it.

Once you have been ripped apart by the press, fear becomes a way of life, and can lead to great foolishness.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 09:56 am
Quote:
"It is not a practice that we would employ here at the White House," said Press Secretary Dana Perino,
link (by, wiki is getting fast)

Yeah, except that is exactly what they did with Jeff Gannon.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 09:57 am
roger wrote:

Oh. Is it just we liberals who do that? What do you guys do?
0 Replies