Hi-I'd like some help with Italian slang

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 08:26 pm
Re: reply to Raphillon
Raphillon wrote:
JGoldman10 wrote:
Thank you. A tomboy is a girl that likes to do "guy" things, or a girl that acts masculine, and a hoodlum is a gangster; a thug.
A tough, often aggressive or violent youth. This has a negative connotation.

A punk is a rough, violent person who engages in destructive actions.
THe slang defintion of punk is: a young person, especially a member of a rebellious counterculture group.

Tomboy
Un maschiaccio

hoodlum
un violento (ok, I would say "stronzo" actually, but that would be very unpolite... and "stronzo" has other meanings too...)

punk
punk (like in English)

Thank you. Do you know any other temrs for "tough guy" and "tough girl" I can use?
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 12:41 am
fbaezer wrote:
Oh, it's always funny to speak "Italian" with Italian-Americans.

Most of them speak some sort of anglicized Southern Italian dialect their parents taught them as "Italian", and at least one, when I told him he was actually speaking a mixture of English and Napolitan, kindly told me: "fangoora!"... it took me about half a minute to realize he was trying to say the Napolitan "Vaffanguro!" and then I burst laughing.

I met one of them once in Fiumicino airport... It was fun, but also kind of sad... He had the illusion to speak a perfect Italian but I wasn't able to understand... It is sad when you have to rip away a man from his illusions Sad
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 12:53 am
JGoldman10 wrote:
Raphillon wrote:
JGoldman10 wrote:
Thank you. A tomboy is a girl that likes to do "guy" things, or a girl that acts masculine, and a hoodlum is a gangster; a thug.

THe slang defintion of punk is: a young person, especially a member of a rebellious counterculture group.

Tomboy
Un maschiaccio

hoodlum
un violento (ok, I would say "stronzo" actually, but that would be very unpolite... and "stronzo" has other meanings too...)

punk
punk (like in English)

Thank you. Do you know any other temrs for "tough guy" and "tough girl" I can use?

"Uno in gamba", as Fbaezer said and if you want to talk about a girl "una in gamba"

it depends on what you mean with tough... if you mean, very capable, quick and sharp "in gamba" sounds better

If you mean solid, strong and not easy to quit then "tosto" would be better

You could also say
"una roccia" (very solid and resistent to bad things, both physically and emotionally)
"Di coccio" or "di granito" (stubborn)
"una colonna" (a point of strenght for a team, someone very solid)
"un armadio" (very powerful phisically)
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 11:59 am
Raphillon wrote:
JGoldman10 wrote:
Raphillon wrote:
JGoldman10 wrote:

Tomboy
Un maschiaccio

hoodlum

punk
punk (like in English)

"Uno in gamba", as Fbaezer said and if you want to talk about a girl "una in gamba"

it depends on what you mean with tough... if you mean, very capable, quick and sharp "in gamba" sounds better

You could also say
"una roccia" (very solid and resistent to bad things, both physically and emotionally)

Thank you. What are the female versions of the last terms you posted?
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 04:35 pm
JGoldman10 wrote:
Raphillon wrote:
JGoldman10 wrote:
Raphillon wrote:
JGoldman10 wrote:

Tomboy
Un maschiaccio

hoodlum

punk
punk (like in English)

You could also say

Thank you. What are the female versions of the last terms you posted?

Just the same as the male version... those are all things, so a man can be "una roccia" or "una colonna" exactly as a female...

Cannavaro è una colonna della nazionale Italiana
(Cannavaro is very important for the Italian soccer team)

Carla è una colonna del nostro gruppo
(Carla is very important for our group)
0 Replies