America's Favorite Cities

JPB

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 01:25 pm
joefromchicago posted a link in the Dallas thread about various rankings of Dallas as compared to other cities in the US. Digging around this site I found that some of the info was generally interesting.

Rather than derail the Dallas thread with discussion about other cities I decided to open a new discussion on the different attributes and characteristics of selected US cities.

The first thing that I noticed was the overall food rankings which show Chicago barely beating New Orleans as the best place to eat. SHOCKING!!! This can only be because there's a separate category for pizza -- who would want to eat pizza in New Orleans?

New Orleans beats out Las Vegas and New York for top honors in the after dark category while scoring at the bottom on Safety, cleanliness, and athletics. The latter two (and perhaps all three) are directly related to the top place honors. Mr B brings his running shoes with us on every trip. Good intentions add a lot of unneccessary weight in the luggage.

Is your city (or favorite vacation spot) listed? Do you agree?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,099 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 01:37 pm
Bahstin:best sports town...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 01:39 pm
Raleigh

Best Southern Polar Bear habitat....
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 01:39 pm
Pizza in any town but Chicago needs to be in its own category anyway, as it is not the same.
Let's hear it NY.

OK KCMO...best barbecue anywhere. (no cole slaw allowed)
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 01:57 pm
I've had slice beef in KCMO before and couldn't understand why they called it
barbeque....the ketchup on it was thin, too.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 02:00 pm
Try a different spot. True BBQ needs no sauce. Slow smoked to fall apart tenderness with full flavor.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 02:43 pm
Yes, San Diego is listed - it does have its charm.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 02:54 pm
Santa Fe is rated 25? Why?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 02:55 pm
No grass?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 08:11 am
Region Philbis wrote:
Bahstin:best sports town...

Not quite.

Quote:
Sports fan's vacation
Rank Score City
1 4.71 Chicago
2 4.64 Boston

Boston has Fenway Park, which, all by itself, should put Boston in the top five of sports fans' vacation destinations. But Chicago has Wrigley Field, which balances that out. Furthermore, Boston only has one major league baseball team (it used to have two, but lost one in 1953 -- very careless, if you ask me), whereas Chicago has two. And all of Chicago's major league teams play their games within the city limits (I'm looking at you, Foxborough Patriots!). So, although it's a close call, from a purely objective, unbiased perspective, I'd have to give the edge to Chicago.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 08:29 am
Re: America's Favorite Cities
JPB wrote:
The first thing that I noticed was the overall food rankings which show Chicago barely beating New Orleans as the best place to eat. SHOCKING!!! This can only be because there's a separate category for pizza -- who would want to eat pizza in New Orleans?

It must be the variety of food in Chicago. I imagine that if you don't like Cajun or Creole food, or just seafood in general, you're not going to rate New Orleans very high.

Frankly, I wouldn't rate Chicago's dining scene that highly either, but maybe I'm just jaded because of my familiarity with it, or because I don't go to the right restaurants. I dunno, maybe the folks who contributed to the survey were swayed by the vast numbers of fat people we have in this city and assumed it was because of the great food here.

The pizza rating, on the other hand, is exactly right (if anything, it should be higher). And if there were a separate category for hot dogs, Chicago would dominate that too.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 08:41 am
Well, let's here it for Austin, #4 in both food and after dark.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 10:33 pm
Re: America's Favorite Cities
joefromchicago wrote:
I imagine that if you don't like Cajun or Creole food, or just seafood in general, you're not going to rate New Orleans very high.

Au contraire, my friend. While those are certainly specialties of the area, New Orleans has quite a wide variety of restaurants. And a good number of internationally known chefs, most notably French. I've always found the food in New Orleans to be one of the city's main attractions. It's as good or better than any place I've been.

Okay, except for the pizza. Judging by our meal at Giordano's, Chicago pizza is in a class by itself. <bows>
0 Replies