My First Thing Published!

Quincy

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 03:20 am
Yay! My letter to the university newspaper was published! Might not sound like a big deal to you, but it is to me!
I must have written dozens of letters to Time magazine, none of which they published- but I can understand; they probably get thousands of letters a day!
Not only did my polemic letter get publshed, it was the first of the letters.
My father said that the only reason they published it was because it was controversial Sad
And they also mis-quoted me! And willy-nilly edited my letter; cutting out a bit of the last sentence such that it didn't make sense. Do you think I should complain? Anyway, I am very happy that I have my first bit of writting published!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 552 • Replies: 3
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 03:39 am
Well done!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 05:39 am
Congratulations.
0 Replies

Truthyness

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 12:49 pm
Editing and willy-nilly tend to go together I'm afraid Quincy.

Reminds me of the time Wired magazine edited a letter of mine for publication, but turned the whole point of the message on its head by interpreting the word Nerd in a positive way (Well Wired would when you think their purpose is to glorify the teckie) whereas in my UK English understanding it had a derogatory meaning! The upshot was that thrust of the text bypassed audiences' understanding and cyberspace altogether and wound up lost deep down a black hole of incomprehension!

Worry not Quincy, happens all the time. "Chercher la femme" (or in this case the motive) In my anecdote it was a case of 'Frisco based "in" mag simply wanting to print the praise of a reader from far away Europe who was singing their praises, at a time when the internet was still in its infancy - novelty value or some such thing. I think your dad may have been right. But to turn another expression on its head "publish and be damned".

You done well Quincy. Smile
0 Replies