What is this about?

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 09:38 am
engineer wrote:
The reality is that many people do not know about showing respect during the national anthem. Look around the next time you attend a sporting event and you'll see that most people do not place their hands over their hearts. I had a friend ask me why I was doing that during the anthem at a basketball game. He thought you just did it for the pledge.

That's also what I thought. Growing up, we only ever did this for the pledge.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 09:53 am
McGentrix wrote:
U.S. Code collection(A) all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart;
(B) men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold the headdress at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
(C) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note; and
(2) when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed.

This tradtion has already been described by Aegidius Tschudi, in 1307.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 10:06 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
This tradtion has already been described by Aegidius Tschudi, in 1307.

What does that mean Walter? Should I bother caring?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 10:13 am
McGentrix wrote:

Why? You neither live in those days nor in what is now Switzerland.
And besides that - there's no need for American to know something about European history which isn't really US-related.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 10:42 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Why? You neither live in those days nor in what is now Switzerland.
And besides that - there's no need for American to know something about European history which isn't really US-related.

Then it's a non-sequitur and pointless to the conversation, as usual. Thanks for adding so little Walter.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 10:44 am
With pleasure, mysteryman.

.... ehem - why should it be a non-sequitur, since with the here mentioned tradition started (at least in myth and literature) a historic mile stone) here?
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 12:26 pm
ehBeth wrote:
I looked at that picture earlier today.

What is everyone else in the photo looking off to the left of the photo at? they look kinda puzzled.

~~~~

The hand on heart thing kinda grosses me out. It's a national anthem, not a 1960's Motown love song with hand actions. Blechhhh. Show some respect for yourselves and dignity, people.

It's always off-putting to go to a sporting event involving an American team here, and having Americans in the crowd do that. It's as normal as double cheek kisses Confused

Yep, we were taught to do that when we were tiny little wee ones in Kindergarten and on up. It comes naturally. I usually don't even notice it. I have refused to do certain things I was taught to do automatically like bow my head in prayer. I prefer to look around. But I've never thought about the automatic hand over heart thing before. It does look as if Bush has a misconception of where his heart is supposed to be. Although he may be closer than the rest of us to anatomical correctness, at least about the heart. But it's more likely he's confusing his stomach with his heart.
0 Replies