plane(s)

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 10:42 pm
Who serves food and drinks on the planes?

I think it should be '... on the plane?'.

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 527 • Replies: 15
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 11:48 pm
Either might be appropriate. It depends whether you mean multiple aeroplanes or just one. Or a generic plane.

At British Airway, the food on the planes is served by men and women.

When I flew to Spain by easyJet, I had to pay for the food I ate on the plane.

When I go abroad, I take a book to read on the plane.
0 Replies

username

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 01:17 am
We may get into another knock-down-drag-out about this, but I think you could also say, "At BA, the food on the plane is served by men and women", considering "plane" as a sort of paradigmatic plane, one-stands-for-all, part of our background knowledge being that of course BA encompasses many flights, but probably a lot of them operate the same as others. Once again, there are often many ways to say the same thing. Of course if we actually wanted an answer to the question, rather than the grammar, the answer all too often these days is "Nobody serves food on the plane, you have to bring it on board yourself if you want to eat.

Ah, I see in scrolling back, contrex already mentioned the "generic plane" concept--I think this fits it.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 01:23 am
Paradigmatic??????? Shocked

You made that up.
0 Replies

username

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 01:25 am
no, no, it's real--you've never seen a flying paradigm before?--they're stealth projects from Area 51.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 01:31 am
Just so Yoong can keep up

Paradigm (Parra- dime)
a term for an illustrative parable or fable. In linguistics, Ferdinand de Saussure used paradigm to refer to a class of elements with similarities.

I hate that word. It belongs in every good lexicon of weasel words, like Drill Down
0 Replies

username

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 01:33 am
When was that dictionary published, ca. 1930?
0 Replies

username

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 01:36 am
1. EXAMPLE. PATTERN. esp.: an outstandingly clear or typical example or archetype. <emphasis original>
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 01:50 am
As always, it's a case of "horses for courses". That is, it is a good idea to use the correct word for the particular situation.

Modern planes like the Airbus 380 and the Boeing 777 use less fuel per passenger kilometre than older models.

When travelling between contents, I take a big book to read on the plane.

[songs]

Planes and boats and trains took you away, away from me!

I'm leavin' on a jet plane -- don't know when I'll be back again...

The British English word "aircraft" might be a handy one to know about, since its singular and plural forms are identical, thus providing a way around the whole problem.
0 Replies

username

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 02:01 am
I'm not sure if I've ever traveled between contents myself. Does sitting in the middle seat between two fat people qualify?

Do you guys still have aeroplanes and aerodromes, contrex? (No grammatical point to question, curiosity only)
0 Replies

username

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 02:09 am
Similar I think to :"The American soldier today wears a uniform with a digital fractal camouflage pattern".
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 07:26 am
username wrote:
Do you guys still have aeroplanes and aerodromes, contrex?

We have aeroplanes, "planes" for short, "aircraft" if you are being technical or legal, but they take off from and land at airports.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 10:29 am
Hi guys

Contrex is the only one who has given me the answer to my question. All the other members are talking about things not related to my question. Correct me if I'm wrong in saying so.

Best wishes
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 04:08 pm
I believe aeroplanes and aerodromes exist on the same chronological plane as aviatrices.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 11:49 pm
Aa wrote:
I believe aeroplanes and aerodromes exist on the same chronological plane as aviatrices.

Well, they date from the early days, I agree. "Aeroplane" is a current, contemporary British English word. "Aerodrome" is still in use for small, grass-field type airfields, and "aviatrice" is contemporary French for "female pilot".
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 12:29 am
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/9228/airplanetk7.jpg
It was just looking at me so I took a picture Laughing
0 Replies