saw/seen recently

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 09:46 pm
The film which I saw recently..."

"The film which I have seen recently..."

Are both sentences correct? I think so, but someone told me the second is not correct because of 'recently'.

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 563 • Replies: 14
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 11:48 pm
That someone is wrong.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 12:21 am
"A film which I have seen recently..." is good english.

Not sure I can explain why this is the case. "The film" sounds incorrect.

I'd leave out the word "which" as well
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 03:14 am
dadpad wrote:

dadpad is giveing advice on how to make the phrase more colloquial, and withouit context it is nonsensical to make pronouncemnts about its correctness or otherwise..

This sentence is perfectly good, acceptable English:-

The film which I have seen recently, that I mentioned yesterday, whose name I could not remember, turns out to be called "Pirates Of The Caribbean".
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 05:23 am
On the other hand contrarynickers is the only one who ever gets it exactly right every time and Yoong shouldn't pay any attention to any other poster just in case there is any chance that he gain an alternative or additional opinion.

and learning how to type would make it easier.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 10:25 am
Hi Dadpad

Who is 'contrarynickers'? He has never replied to my posts.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 10:46 am
Yoong Liat wrote:
Hi Dadpad

Who is 'contrarynickers'? He has never replied to my posts.

dadpad mean me, I think. He doesn't like my answer or my attitude.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 10:52 am
Hi Contrex

I'm very surprised that it refers to you. But how does he get that word? Is there such a word? If there isn't, Dadpad should explain to me.

Regards.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 11:38 am
It is a jocular word, a made-up word. Little girls who misbehave are often called names like "little miss naughtyknickers" (don't ask me why!). One who delighted in disagreeing, in being contrary, might be dubbed "contraryknickers". It is meant to suggest that I am a trivial person, perhaps effeminate or even homosexual. It is a "pun" on my screen name - contrex. The first three letters are the same. It is intended to be uncomplimentary. It implies that I am contrary, that is, he is suggesting that I disgree with others (specifically him) purely out of a desire to disgree. (K)nickers are the nether undergarments of women and girls; they cover an area of the body he evidently thinks of as funny, ridiculous and shameful, association with which is (in his eyes) deeply uncomplimentary. You may feel, as I do, that the hurling of such an epithet tells you something about dadpad's personality.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 02:01 am
Hi Contrex

You and Dadpad often guide me and I'm grateful to both of you.

However, I don't think it's nice to call names. Discuss logically backed up with dictionaries and authoritative websites, if necessary. This is my thinking as a non-native speaker.

Regards to both of you.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 10:19 pm
contrex wrote:
dadpad wrote:

dadpad is giveing advice on how to make the phrase more colloquial, and withouit context it is nonsensical to make pronouncemnts about its correctness or otherwise..

This sentence is perfectly good, acceptable English:-

The film which I have seen recently, that I mentioned yesterday, whose name I could not remember, turns out to be called "Pirates Of The Caribbean".

The words 'correct/incorrect' are, in most situations, really too loaded to be effectively used in discussions on language. "The film", at first blush, does sound a bit odd, a bit out of place, not impossible, mind you, but a bit ... odd.

Perhaps, Dadpad's "adverse" reaction to it was its use as an introductory article. That normally won't happen unless there is, contextually, some prior reference to it.

The use of the zero pronoun, Dadpad's "I'd leave out the word "which" as well", is certainly not just a colloquial usage. It's used quite frequently in all registers; speech, fiction, news, and academic prose.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 11:07 pm
saw/seen recently
There's an analogy (though not too close a one) in the use of the term "smartypants". But that is usually prefixed with the word "Miss" or "little Miss". For reasons that elude me, I don't think boys are every referred to as "smartypants". Perhaps I am an innocent?

BTW - "knickers" for girls' underpants is English, in American we say "underpants", "pants", or "panties". "Knickers" in America refer to knee-length trousers worn by men playing golf (or sporty types of undergraduates) in the 1920's , and also to small boys who had not yet reached the age of wearing long pants. This is a distinction that is no longer relevant.

How did we ever wander onto this subject???
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 09:17 am
Yoong Liat wrote:
Hi Contrex

You and Dadpad often guide me and I'm grateful to both of you.

However, I don't think it's nice to call names. Discuss logically backed up with dictionaries and authoritative websites, if necessary. This is my thinking as a non-native speaker.

Regards to both of you.

The odd misunderstanding and subsequent retorts can actually provide you with a great deal of natural English, YL.

I'm sure that both Dadpad and Contrex are big enough people to recognize this and smooth over their differences. Perhaps the whole thing was staged for your benefit. Smile
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 09:27 am
Thanks, JTT, for being so analytical.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 09:33 am
JTT wrote:
I'm sure that both Dadpad and Contrex are big enough people to recognize this and smooth over their differences. Perhaps the whole thing was staged for your benefit. Smile

I don't know about that, but I admit that I treated being called "Miss Contraryknickers" as an excuse for a digression.
0 Replies