A curious comparison. Christianity/nazism

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 03:57 am
neologist wrote:
What's standard christianity?

X: You should either someone who knows the tenets of Christianity.
Neo never answers any question directly.

Joe(god the father, god the son, god the holy ghost)Nation
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 04:05 am
One God with Jesus being the same God that loved killing people in the OT.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 04:57 am
There's God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit, otherwise known as the Trinity, or (if I remember right) the God Head.

Most believe they are equal, and some believe the father is supreme and Jesus and the Holy Spirit are subject to his rule. I daresay there are those that question the existence of the Holy Spirit as a seperate entity from God the Father.

The bad 'God' as you put it, according to christianity, is not a God at all, but a fallen angel.

'Standard Christianity' doesn't exactly exist. There are tenants that all christian denominations can agree on (love the lord thy God with all your heart and soul, love your neighbour as yourself etc), but there are many technical differences (ie differing interpretations).
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 06:57 am
The Trinity, as I understand it, is God in three persons or manifestations. All are equal because all are the same. Jesus being God is like Professor McGonagall being a cat in the Harry Potter series. Same person, different manifestations.

But with Christians you never know because they don't know. They all take a bite and claim their food is Christianity and all others are eating s**t. So no matter what you say some Christian will crawl out of the wood work and say you wrong and then supply a few Bible quotes to back up his opinion.

According to this guy the Trinity is a false teaching; but yet the Trinity is the foundation for a lot of Christian beliefs.

Quote:
The Origin of the Trinity Doctrine
Orthodox Christian teaching about God's nature is that He is "one God in three persons." Shocking as it may seem to many, the Bible nowhere teaches the Trinity, even though it is the most widely acknowledged teaching about God in professing Christianity! In fact, the word "trinity" is not even in the Bible. Where then did this teaching originate and how did it come to be so universally believed?

Writing about thirty years after the founding of the New Testament Church, the youngest of Jesus' half-brothers (sons of Joseph and Mary), Jude, exhorted the brethren to earnestly contend for the faith that was once and for all delivered to the saints (Jude 3). Clearly, the true Christian faith had already been delivered intact prior to Jude's writing. The Apostle Jude explained that ungodly men had secretly crept into the Church and were already beginning to distort the true doctrines that Jesus Christ had delivered to His disciples.

Even Catholic scholars admit that Tertullian (c. 150-225) was the first writer to use the term "trinity." If this fundamental teaching about the very nature of the Godhead is true, why was it not revealed until over 150 years after the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ? Why was not this doctrine clearly taught and explained by the original disciples of Christ and by the Apostle Paul? As we shall soon see, they taught a very different explanation of the nature of the true God!

In the second and third centuries there was not simply one heresy regarding the nature of God, but many contradictory ones. There seem to have been almost as many different ideas as there were philosophical schools and teachers. Mainstream Catholic thought, from which orthodox Protestant teaching on the subject sprang, merely represents the particular brand of heresy that won out over its competitors.

http://www.lcg.org/cgi-bin/lcg/studytopics/lcg-st.cgi?category=FalseReligion1&item=1116550111

If Trinity doesn't exist what is Jesus; a God or a human delivering a message? If Jesus was a God who was he praying to? Is there more than one God? If he was born of a virgin where did the other half of his DNA come from?

Gets kind of confusing.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 07:51 am
Quote:
The Trinity, as I understand it, is God in three persons or manifestations. All are equal because all are the same. Jesus being God is like Professor McGonagall being a cat in the Harry Potter series.

and:

Quote:
But with Christians you never know because they don't know.

thanks xingu, these made my morning.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 11:08 am
xingu wrote:
One God with Jesus being the same God that loved killing people in the OT.
Probably fits most who call themselves christian.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 01:02 pm
Quote:
But with Christians you never know because they don't know. They all take a bite and claim their food is Christianity and all others are eating s**t.

As far as I know, only Mormons and JW's (of the protestant denominations) believe they are the sole denomination going to heaven. I'm not sure what Catholics/Anglicans believe on that score.

Quote:
According to this guy the Trinity is a false teaching; but yet the Trinity is the foundation for a lot of Christian beliefs.

When I was Christian, it hardly seemed important whether or not the God head was a trinity, a duo, or a pyramid, in that, whichever one it was, it wouldn't affect my beliefs or practises, so I think perhaps you have placed too much weight on this one example.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 06:09 am
vikorr wrote:
When I was Christian, it hardly seemed important whether or not the God head was a trinity, a duo, or a pyramid, in that, whichever one it was, it wouldn't affect my beliefs or practises, so I think perhaps you have placed too much weight on this one example.

How many examples are there; which goes back to a question I often ask; how many Christian Gods are there?

Quote:
In Christianity, Trinity is the doctrine that God is one being who exists, simultaneously and eternally, as a mutual indwelling of three persons (not to be confused by "person"): the Father, the Son (incarnate as Jesus of Nazareth), and the Holy Spirit. Since the 4th century, in both Eastern and Western Christianity, this doctrine has been stated as "three persons in one God," all three of whom, as distinct and co-eternal persons, are of one indivisible Divine essence, a simple being. The doctrine also teaches that the Son Himself has two distinct natures, one fully divine and the other fully human. Supporting the doctrine of the Trinity is known as Trinitarianism. Most divisions of Christianity are Trinitarian, and regard belief in the Trinity as a test of Christian orthodoxy.

Opposing nontrinitarian positions held by some groups include Binitarianism (two deities/persons/aspects), Unitarianism (one deity/person/aspect), the Godhead (Latter Day Saints) (three separate beings, one in purpose) and Modalism (Oneness).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity

Looks like Trinity is believed by a majority of Christians but I have no stats on that.

Anyway, in the years following Jesus' death, no one could agree what to make of him. They all wanted to use him for their own selfish purposes. They still do.

There's still a lot of money and power to be gained from that dead Jew.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 09:06 am
xingu wrote:

Looks like Trinity is believed by a majority of Christians but I have no stats on that.
I'm sure you are right. But many who say they believe have no idea what they believe.
xingu wrote:

Anyway, in the years following Jesus' death, no one could agree what to make of him. They all wanted to use him for their own selfish purposes. They still do.

There's still a lot of money and power to be gained from that dead Jew.
Even while he was alive, many wished to make him king, but he later told Pilate his kingdom was not part of this world. (John 6:15, 18:36)
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 09:14 am
neologist wrote:
xingu wrote:

I'm sure you are right. But many who say they believe have no idea what they believe.

But, of course, that doesn't include you.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 09:18 am
xingu wrote:
neologist wrote:
xingu wrote:

But, of course, that doesn't include you.
Of course. I don't believe in the trinity no matter how it is presented.

I assume we are on the same page there, right? Or are you a closet trinitarian?
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 09:43 am
Quote:

neo, i know that jw's study their religion more than almost any other single group, but i would not say more than any other people. and among the group that study from a witness point of view, you seem to be one of the more enlightened i've talked to. the most, really. but then when you stress this over, and over, and over, it only tells me how proud you are of your religious beliefs. should you be proud? and if i misunderstood, that's always possible.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 09:57 am
and i don't understand why people have a fit about the trinity, "'closet!' honestly..." except from a literal point of view it attacks god's oneness.

well of course, it's not a literal construct. i'm not into the trinity personally, but the figures do exist in the religion: god, jesus, the holy ghost/spirit.

trinity is not a trichotomy, and even from a literal point of view, it's harmless when compared to the god/creation dichotomy, or the god/satan dichotomy.

oneness is great, but from one point of view, the trinity attacks oneness. from the other point of view, it demonstates that god is one. if you can't see that, you may know lots about oneness, but you don't know anything about the trinity. what's "this," is it four letters, one word, four letters and three punctuation symbols, or is it a 32x11 array of 352 pixels? yes. and of course, the font changes the number of pixels, but the number of words stays the same.

understanding the trinity is as simple as counting to one. if you go past that, and misunderstand the trinity, it's your fault.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 10:32 am
okay, i misunderstood the jw position on trinity. i've been reading the watchtower site, and they take issue with it being nonbiblical (i disagree) or pagan (i agree.)

they also take issue with this:

Quote:

so the trinity could only be okay from a jw standpoint if: 1. it wasn't pagan 2. god and jesus were *not* equal and 3. it was biblical.

for three, there's nothing we can do to agree on this.

for one, it's shouldn't matter whether it's pagan, pagans worshipped, that doesn't stop christians for worshipping, pagans had a god concept, that doesn't stop christians from having a god concept, they prayed, that doesn't stop christians from praying, and so on. not everything pagan goes against christianity.

but just because something is a unit doesn't mean that all parts are equal. jesus doesn't have to be equal to god to be part of a trinity. a family of three is a trinity, that doesn't imply the child is equal to the father. but a family is one. it may seem like a horribly pagan concept, but the idea that there was a father and a son makes the trinity seem very biblical to me after all. of course jw's do not agree.

still, the idea of attacking the trinity as evil and shameful (to the point of implying that someone is a "closeted" believer) seems very immature.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 10:55 am
Until someone can tell me where the other half of Jesus' DNA came from without resorting to POOFISM then he is just another flawed Homo sapien.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 10:59 am
xingu wrote:
Until someone can tell me where the other half of Jesus' DNA came from without resorting to POOFISM then he is just another flawed Homo sapien.
As soon as you can tell me why that would be important, I would slap my head in amazement.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 11:07 am
tinygiraffe wrote:
okay, i misunderstood the jw position on trinity. i've been reading the watchtower site, and they take issue with it being nonbiblical (i disagree) or pagan (i agree.)

they also take issue with this:

Quote:

so the trinity could only be okay from a jw standpoint if: 1. it wasn't pagan 2. god and jesus were *not* equal and 3. it was biblical.

for three, there's nothing we can do to agree on this.

for one, it's shouldn't matter whether it's pagan, pagans worshipped, that doesn't stop christians for worshipping, pagans had a god concept, that doesn't stop christians from having a god concept, they prayed, that doesn't stop christians from praying, and so on. not everything pagan goes against christianity.

but just because something is a unit doesn't mean that all parts are equal. jesus doesn't have to be equal to god to be part of a trinity. a family of three is a trinity, that doesn't imply the child is equal to the father. but a family is one. it may seem like a horribly pagan concept, but the idea that there was a father and a son makes the trinity seem very biblical to me after all. of course jw's do not agree.

still, the idea of attacking the trinity as evil and shameful (to the point of implying that someone is a "closeted" believer) seems very immature.
Its not as simple as that.

I refer you to the discuusion started here:
http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1323028#1323028
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 12:31 pm
neologist wrote:
xingu wrote:
As soon as you can tell me why that would be important, I would slap my head in amazement.

I guess the reason you ask that question is you have no answer for the missing DNA, execpt POOFISM.

If Jesus was born of a virgin where did the other DNA come from?

Of course, the virgin birth story could be a load of pagan crap. Paul didn't believe it.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 12:43 pm
xingu wrote:
neologist wrote:
xingu wrote:

I guess the reason you ask that question is you have no answer for the missing DNA, execpt POOFISM.

If Jesus was born of a virgin where did the other DNA come from?

Of course, the virgin birth story could be a load of pagan crap. Paul didn't believe it.
Paul who?

The explanation given to early Christians for Jesus' conception was given in Luke 1: 30 - 35, a proposition no more or less likely than the creation of Adam or Eve.

Since you claim the entire bible to be spurious, what is your point?
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Mon 5 Nov, 2007 01:26 pm
that's a great point xingu, i almost forgot, along with the trinity, many pagan gods:

* are referred to as "god's only begotten son" (or sun)

* healed the sick and the blind

* walked on water and performed other miracles

* were crucified

* were resurrected

so to say that trinity concepts aren't "christian" because they're pagan seems to forget how pagan the entire legacy of christ is.

neo, thanks for the link. although it looks like i'll be reading that thread FOR A LONG TIME, i appreciate you pointing it out.
0 Replies