A curious comparison. Christianity/nazism

vikorr

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 11:09 pm
I often wonder if Hitler was actually insane.

I know he only ever attained the rank of corporal, but many of his strategic decisions really did seem so far beyond logical as to appear insane.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 10:59 am
If one looks upon the Nazis as being evil for killing Jews than what of Christians?

1 November 1290
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 11:03 am
Nazi Germany was a predominantly 'christian' nation.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 11:49 am
So ironic that such an evil as Nazism could rise out of a Christian nation.

Joe(No. not ironic at all)Nation
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 02:44 pm
Whether a religion exists or not rarely seems to matter, the prevailing belief system (which could be religion or nationalism/patriotism or both, or something else) is used to justify such action.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 03:01 pm
what vik said.

i sympathize joe, but i think it happens because people exploit christianity, not because christianity exists. when people need excuses to hate, kill, rape, steal, they'll think of anything. religion is handy for that, but flags are no less convenient. when you want to tell us about getting rid of civilization, i'll chat with you about getting rid of religion.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 09:57 pm
Yeah. What tiny and vik said.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 06:14 am
But the difference is the Christian is suppose to teach love your fellow man and peace on earth. One doesn't expect that from an atheist. On the contrary a Christian will look at atheist and say the are immoral and lack the compassion one can only get through Jesus.

Well folks, guess what; there's no difference between and atheist and a Christian. They both behave like typical humans. The one difference is Christians make the claim that their sins of murder, rape and theft will be forgiven because they believe in the great cop-out, Jesus. Not so for atheist. The parallel sins they commit will not be forgiven by God and they will languish in Hell, purgatory or whatever, depending on the sect or cult that's pointing their finger at you.

Funny how God practices a double standard and is called just.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 08:40 am
You are right about there being no difference between christian and atheist, or muslim or buddhist or zoroastrian, for that matter. All sin. And all may be forgiven. Or not.

But the double standard you refer to is man's.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 12:06 pm
In that case we can conclude that man created God; or at least the one in the Bible.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 01:23 pm
The god-the-father in the bible is no one new. Just another "Lord-God out of Egypt."

And there are plenty of other virgin-births on Dec 25 by messianic figures who end up getting killed and rising again from the dead besides Jesus to go around.

Jesus is a nice fella whose followers have used their best public relations skills to make him appear unique hoping that you too will believe the myth.

Joe(if not, then they burn you at the stake)Nation
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 02:46 pm
A little off topic there Very Happy
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 03:51 pm
Not off topic at all.
We are comparing two belief systems, Nazism and Christianity.
Both are based on ancient myths.
The Nazis believed themselves to be descendants of a superior breed of human. (They even sent people to Tibet in search of the perfect Aryan head measurement.)

The Christians believe themselves to be descendents, spiritually if not genetically, of the Biblical chosen people.

Both believe that what they believe about themselves to both absolutely true and something apart from all other human experience.

Neither is.

But the consequences for those who have not believed as they do have been in many cases dire.

Joe(they do not hate us, they love their god.)Nation
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 04:01 pm
Now that you make a comparison one can see how it is relevant to the topic :wink:

Perhaps. From my vantage point, Nazism can hardly be said to be based on an ancient myth.

The belief in the superiority of the Aryan Race is only one aspect of Germanic Nazism, and even that can hardly be called ancient.

Nazism appears to have been created for the purpose of driving people to war...or perhaps war was the natural consequence of it's beliefs. Then when it's war died, it pretty much died with it.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 06:27 pm
I don't think it was just Aryanism, it was a belief, fostered by groups like the Thule Society and it's inner circle Vril, which connected the Nazis (they thought) to both the Teutonic warriors of 7AD and a lost tribe of superhumans who were still inhabiting the inner earth.

Fantastic? ?

So is walking on water and rising from the dead.

Joe(gotta go to sleep now, have a long walk scheduled)Nation
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 07:21 pm
xingu wrote:
In that case we can conclude that man created God; or at least the one in the Bible.
Man (the priesthood) has indeed created a God. But it bears no resemblance to the God of the Bible.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 07:30 pm
Which God? You have more than one.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 07:33 pm
xingu wrote:
Which God? You have more than one.
Name 2
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 07:35 pm
Hell I don't know. Your the one who says there's more than one, not me.

You talk about a good God and a bad God. I don't what you believe but it doesn't seem to conform to standard Christianity.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 09:27 pm
What's standard christianity?
0 Replies