A curious comparison. Christianity/nazism

tinygiraffe

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 09:48 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Hmmm. So the only one who has it right wholly believes in the myth and acts on it.

translation:

stone the gays!

tiny(totally kidding about that, but always found this gag of joe's amusing)giraffe
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 04:27 pm
There are those who have it right and sin deliberately.

Impossible.

Joe(just impossible)Nation
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 07:41 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
There are those who have it right and sin deliberately.

Impossible.

Joe(just impossible)Nation
This is perhaps the fundamental difference between our views.

I'm right, of course.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 05:35 am
Of course you are. I have no doubts that you are as right as the rain outside my window.

Joe(Settle your fears. Have some tea. Breathe deeply in the myth)Nation
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 06:38 pm
Are you saying I am right about this being a fundamental difference?

Or are you conceding that I am right in my view?

Smile
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 09:42 am
That would the proverbial (no pun intended) yes and no.

Yes, we have a fundamental difference in our views and no, I am not conceding that you are right in your view because your view is similar, if not identical, to persons who believe in leprechauns.

Two friends of mine, this is years ago, but still, used to argue for hours about whether or not Superman in the Marvel Comic books 1) ever had sex and 2) could breathe in outer space. At the time, the second proposition held the most gravity for them, but the recent posts of yours regarding the Whore of Babylon reminded me so much of them. For someone as seemingly bright as you are to spend any time at all with such meaningless rubbish seems to me to be waste of good brainpower.

And I must say it seems to me, an outsider, as a wholly unChristian discussion. What would Jesus, poor Jesus-the most mis-understood man who never existed- think about his followers trying to figure out all this nonsense about endtimes whilst pointing very unChristlike fingers at various suspects of unworthiness and deceit???

If you are going to believe in such crap would you mind getting about your Father's business and make the world a better place instead of trying to divine how to section up humankind?

And you are wrong about persons who have it right being able to sin deliberately. If they have it right, their power to avoid both sin and the occasion of sin would be complete and unassailable.
Sin is impossible to those who are full of grace.

Joe( What are you full of?)Nation
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 11:17 am
Joe Nation wrote:
. . . If you are going to believe in such crap would you mind getting about your Father's business and make the world a better place instead of trying to divine how to section up humankind?
How kind of you to offer counsel to Jesus.
Joe Nation wrote:
And you are wrong about persons who have it right being able to sin deliberately. If they have it right, their power to avoid both sin and the occasion of sin would be complete and unassailable.
Sin is impossible to those who are full of grace.
Translation: If Adam and Eve sinned, they could not have been perfect. Same goes for that Satan feller.
Joe Nation wrote:
Joe( What are you full of?)Nation
Admiration for your superciliousness.

You would have God create a universe of puppets.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 03:19 pm
Jesus? Offer counsel to Jesus? Is he the god in charge or is it his Dad? No, I was offering, foolishly, advice to the deaf.

Adam and Eve, perfect? Hardly. They were merely creations of -- wait a minute-- does God the Father do all the creative work for the firm or does Jesus get involved in that end of the business? I thought he, Jesus, ran the promotions department with the OTHER god, there's at least three of them, right?, the Holy Ghost was the aquisitions and new products guy. Right?

Anyway, Eve, if I remember the fable, was a make-up for a mistake that the Creator made. "Shucks, " God said," I forgot to make that feller a companion." Right. ALL the other animals got a mate except Adam. Good going, CreatorBlessed.

Always frame the myths you believe in other terms, hold them up to the light and you can see right through them.

What a great movie that Whore of Babylon stuff would make. Where's the DaVinci Code guy?

No puppets. You can't have puppets without a puppeteer.

Joe(I've got no strings on me.)Nation
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 03:49 pm
Quote:
Anyway, Eve, if I remember the fable, was a make-up for a mistake that the Creator made. "Shucks, " God said," I forgot to make that feller a companion." Right. ALL the other animals got a mate except Adam. Good going, CreatorBlessed.

You know, I've never ever seen this thoughtline before. It is rather amusing isn't it Surprised

Quote:
And I must say it seems to me, an outsider, as a wholly unChristian discussion. What would Jesus, poor Jesus-the most mis-understood man who never existed- think about his followers trying to figure out all this nonsense about endtimes whilst pointing very unChristlike fingers at various suspects of unworthiness and deceit???

Jesus wan't complete love and acceptance - he took a whip to merchants in a temple once, and didn't appear to always have much time for the pharisees.

Also, two other points : Jesus (if I remember right) made some prophesies of his own about the end times; and prophesy is part of christian literature, so it can hardly be unchristian to discuss them, or which entity they refer to.

I do think that complete faith in ones interpretation of a prophesy is rather dangerous.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 04:16 pm
Quote:
Jesus wan't complete love and acceptance - he took a whip to merchants in a temple once, and didn't appear to always have much time for the pharisees.

Also, two other points : Jesus (if I remember right) made some prophesies of his own about the end times; and prophesy is part of christian literature, so it can hardly be unchristian to discuss them, or which entity they refer to.

I do think that complete faith in ones interpretation of a prophesy is rather dangerous.

Yup yup and yup, V.
Jesus, said an old friend of mine, he's got as bad a temper as his old man. Jesus whipped those guys. Jesus got pissed off at the fig tree too. And when the others kept falling asleep there in the Garden he's like Hey, c'mon, guys, stay awake for crying out loud.

But, you always know exactly who he is pissed at,Neo's thing, and the rest of the modern endtimers, is to spend a lot of time looking for bogeymen. "The whore is connected in some way to Rome." stuff. It just rouses suspicions amongst believers and does little good.

Who could it be now? It's a fear, not love, thing.

As for blind faith, and I would add, unending hope, well, it's the kind of thing that leads to the creation of a thread which can ask whether you can compare the actions of Christians with the Nazis?

Joe(And Jesus said: Wha' the???)Nation
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 04:34 pm
...or comparing them to some Republicans, or Democrats?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 05:22 pm
That's changing thankfully, I'm relieved to see movement amongst the most conservative of the religious right away from the knee-jerk thinking (and acting) on abortion and gay marriage and away from following this administration blindly on the Iraq War and towards looking for ways to raise people up from poverty, from disease. Jesus, remember him? the Prince of Peace?, (despite our mentions of his spite) would be a little more than relieved to see this day coming.

Before the sixties became the Sixties, Americans worked together for Racial Equality, for an end to poverty in the richest nation on earth, for Civil Rights and Rights for the Imprisoned and in the middle of all those fights were the churchs. No one ever asked a Christian if they were Dem or Rep, these issues were beyond something as mundane as politics.

Joe(they still are)Nation
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 09:31 pm
Quote:
No one ever asked a Christian if they were Dem or Rep, these issues were beyond something as mundane as politics.

Joe(they still are)Nation

that is exactly why politicians must steal christianity, and why they have, century after century.

separation of church and state doesn't only benefit the state- it benefits the church.

granted, it won't help the church force people to convert everyone, and it won't give them so much money at once that they will find themselves corrupted overnight by greed and exploitation, but like i just said, separation of church and state is good for the church, too.
0 Replies

bellsybop

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 11:47 pm
Re: A curious comparison. Christianity/nazism
Cyracuz wrote:
If I were to declare myself a nazi there would be precious few places where I could walk with my head held high. I would be condemned for embracing a beliefsystem that has been responsible for the deaths of millions.

But if I said I was a christian it would be another story, even though more blood has been spilled in the name of christianity than in the name of nazism.

I do not understand why people want to associate their spiritual quest with a movement that has such a bleak history. If a person embraces christianity, doesn't he also condone the witch hunts, the inquisition and all the other horrors contrived in the name of this religion?

Perfect comparison. And ironically enough, it started with one person's ideas and was supported by literally thousands. People will call Constantine some kind of saint, but Hitler a demon. Both thought they were right because of their support. So, in my humble opinion, neither were wrong. It was the people who supported them who are wrong.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 02:35 am
no, i think hitler was still wrong, too.
0 Replies

bellsybop

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 08:56 am
But was Constantine and the church?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 11:01 am
Of course, but tiny says Hitler was wrongier. Smile
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 11:17 am
ooh, where?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 11:21 am
tinygiraffe wrote:
ooh, where?
Did I misunderstand?

Well, perhaps as I have said on other occasion:

Quote:
I realize you may believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you know that what I wrote is probably not what I meant.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 10:33 pm
heh, yeah, sometimes. no worries though.
0 Replies