CALIFORNIA-SAN DIEGO WILDFIRE

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 05:07 pm
WILDFIRES IN SAN DIEGO COUNTY

has anyone heard from cj ?
sure hope she is far enough away from the wildfires !
hbg

Quote:
1:37 p.m. October 22, 2007

SAN DIEGO - Wildfires fanned by fierce desert winds consumed huge swaths of bone-dry Southern California on Monday, burning buildings and forcing more than 265,000 evacuations from Malibu to San Diego, including a jail, a hospital and nursing homes.
More than a dozen wildfires engulfed the region, killing at least one person, injuring dozens more and threatening scores of structures. Overwhelmed firefighters said they lacked the resources to save all the threatened homes.

More than 250,000 people were forced to flee in San Diego County alone, where hundreds of patients were moved by school bus and ambulance from a hospital and nursing homes.

"It was nuclear winter. It was like Armageddon. It looked like the end of the world," Mitch Mendler, a San Diego firefighter, said as he and his crew stopped at a shopping center parking lot to refill their water truck from a hydrant near a restaurant.

"I lost count," he said when asked how many homes had burned.

The blazes in San Diego County and elsewhere erupted one after another over the weekend, each pushed across dry, drought-starved terrain by hellish winds that gusted over 100 mph.

Things got worse Monday, when several new fires sprouted and other fires merged, burning nearly 200,000 acres - or more than 310 square miles.

Parts of seven Southern California counties, including Los Angeles, Orange and San Diego, were on fire.

In northern San Diego County, hundreds of patients were evacuated from a hospital and nursing homes in the path of the so-called Witch Creek fire.

All San Diego Police Department officers and off duty detectives were ordered to return to work to help move people to safety and handle other fire-related emergencies.

Meanwhile, California officials appealed to fire agencies in other states for help.

source :
WILDFIRE
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,829 • Replies: 63
No top replies

Letty

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 06:56 pm
Been watching those fires, hbg, and have an APB out for Calamity Jane.

Also sent a message to Lightwizard.

I'll let you know if I hear anything.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 08:27 pm
This is my home territory. Indeed the flame burned, again a few hundred feet from a pal's house.

I am not them... in many ways, but I hope their place makes it.

Me, I don't believe on building at the beach, right there, sort of an end of chute...
I can say this, I had a wildfire come within six blocks of our house.

Unless architects and strutural engineers pay attention.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 08:35 pm
From a friend's blog posted in the morning. She just moved here from Hawaii this summer. Haven't heard anything about their status since then:

Quote:
Following the September storm that never was is this horrendous firestorm that has hit San Diego. Smoke is thick in the air; evacuations are in the tens of thousands (and rising). We may be next.

Our area is sandwiched between the Witch Fire, which started far northeast of us and sprinted southwestward overnight, and the Harris Fire, which rages northward from the Mexico border. The Witch Fire is the one to worry about. It is charring things as far north as Escondido (Broos is safe - for now). Poway, just a hop and a jump over the 15, is getting crispy as I write thisÂ…which is why I'm listening closely for the word to get packing.

I sent the Kid to school today because the air down there has to be better than the air in this area. Mom and I are braving it from home (the offices were closed because so many workers were affected).

I have grown up with tsunami and hurricane warnings, monsoon-strength torrential rains, earthquakes, water spouts, etc. I have never witnessed anything like this. It is impressive stuff.

My prayers go out to those affectedÂ…so far, everyone I can contact is doing ok, including Chad and his entire family whose town, Ramona, burned overnight =(

If you're cruising the blogs, drop a note to let me know you're ok.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 08:38 pm
I heard that they're asking people in the area not to use their cell phones so that the bandwidth can be used by emergency personnel.

If you are trying reaching loved ones in the area, use their land line numbers.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 08:46 pm
I have friend with a home in Malibu colony, just about where the flame in the graphic meets where it hits the market/mall. I assume they are fine and am not going to natter at them now. They don't need the curiosity.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 08:50 pm
But, I did used to stop at Dietrich's, for coffee, in that mall, on my long trip from north north. I so hope they are ok.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 08:54 pm
Current landsat/modis images

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/193435main_wildfire_oct21_large_titled.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 08:59 pm
Urm. My friend with a vacation house in malibu is up there in the red cross, I assume she is busy. She' s not there for any kind of niceties, serious background.

I've (ms eco) varied views, but I'd like to cut the fires.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 09:10 pm
Home sweet home, did I mention one of the biggie fires got to within six (or was it less) blocks from my house?

I'm an old fan of Klaus Radke of the, or split from, the LAFD.

At this point, I'm looking at what architects deem ok and (fkem all, developers)

We still have Tuscan Andalusian piffle balloons over tracts of land (cringe with the faux, mostly.)

Mostly I'm hands over eyes.

I'd like to see buildings go up that do address fire.

Seems wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy past time. I understand that a lot has been worked out, re constuction and fire. Not sure it is ever being followed.

perhaps insurance could have some role.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 10:31 pm
It's bad all right. I live close to the beach, so no danger (yet). Every
time I look there is another area evacuated. Right now they're evacuating
a beach area that is just north of us, so we're on alert.

The smoke is thick and ashes are everywhere. The gusty winds are blowing towards the west directly over the beach communities.

I had to drive inland today to pick up our "adopted" grandmother who got
stuck in the fire area just before a voluntary evacuation. Halfway through
on I-15 the police stopped me and I couldn't proceed. Luckily by now, they had a mandatory evacuation and one of grandma's neighbor's was driving
her to a designated area where we could pick her up.

It was frightening driving inland though - it was pitch dark from smoke,
the wind was blowing around 40 m/h and police and fire fighters were everywhere.

I am so glad to be home now, grandma is sleeping already. It was all
too much for her, and we don't know yet if she's got a house to go home to.

All schools are closed and we're not working tomorrow, we're better off
at home.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 10:41 pm
Relieved to hear that you are okay. Keep us posted

I have a niece in Carlsbad. I am going to call and email.

God be with you CJ.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 10:50 pm
Ay, cj.

On my friend, it was oceanward of the flame on any malibu pic, that is west of the mall. That isn't their main house, I figure they're ok, but way close. No, I'm not calling at this time.

Weird re me and my views on building other than very lightly on land, and infinite desire that friends places could be ok.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 11:01 pm
I imagine the Lightwizzard is okay. He's up in orange county.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 11:47 pm
My friends' house is a block at best from the fire, and I do care for them.

I also care re Lightwizard, supposing him fine.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 12:41 am
Heres how we do it in OZ.

Everything you should know about fire safety for you, your family and your home.

All people who live in a high bushfire risk area need to develop a Bushfire Survival Plan. A Bushfire Survival Plan is a well thought out plan about how you will prepare and respond to a fire in your area.

A plan should include a set of actions to address the risk and will require you to make a series of decisions about what you will do on a high fire risk day, or should a fire threaten your home.

People should develop a written plan that identifies all the actions they will undertake on high fire risk days. You are more likely to remember to do some of the things you have identified as being important if you write them down.

To develop your plan you need to consider all the issues about your level of risk, actions you will undertake to prepare yourself and your home for bushfire and what you will do on high fire risk days.

Even if your decision is to leave the area before fire threatens, you still need a well thought out plan.

Everyone's circumstances are different so it is important that you develop a plan that suits your household.

Make sure all members of your household know what the plan is and know what roles and responsibilities they have. And as circumstances change, it is important that you review your Bushfire Survival Plan before each summer fire season.

The first decision must be what trigger you will use to implement your plan. Ask yourself "On which days should I be ready to implement my plan?"

People should implement their plan each Total Fire Ban Day or on other high fire risk days when temperatures rise, the humidity is low and there are strong northerly winds.

You should decide well before summer whether you intend to leave your home on high fire risk days or stay and defend your property should a fire threaten your area.

Your first decision is leave or stay - will you:

* Stay and actively defend, or
* Leave early

If your decision is to leave early, your plan needs to include:

* When you will leave
* Where you will go
* How you will get there
* What you will take with you
* What you will do with your pets
* Who you have told about your plan

If your decision is to stay and defend your property, your plan needs to include:

* Where you and other family members will be
* What you will do if your children are at school when the fire starts
* Who will look after your pets
* What you will do if you have elderly relatives or young children living with you
* How you will protect your property
* How you will protect yourself
* How you will know what is going on during the fire
* What you will do to patrol your property after the fire front has passed through

A well thought out bushfire plan should address all these issues. Make sure everyone in the household knows the plan and what their roles are. And remember: stick to your plan!
Research consistently shows that ember attack is the main way houses
are set alight during bushfires.
Clean up your yard and rainwater guttering. Block rainwater guttering and fill with water.

The big killer for people in a bushfire is radiant heat. Cover up! Stay inside until the fire front passes. Patrol your property after the fire front passes and put out spot fires and embers.
If you intend to stay with your property you must be prepared.

More detailed info
http://www.cfa.vic.gov.au/documents/living-bush-workbook/litb-1.pdf
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 12:48 am
There was a creepy bit in Klaus Radke's info re getting in your car or not, with a wall of flame approaching. I seem to remember it as tempered yes, but don't trust me.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 12:52 am
ossobuco wrote:
There was a creepy bit in Klaus Radke's info re getting in your car or not, with a wall of flame approaching. I seem to remember it as tempered yes, but don't trust me.

NO NO NO NO !!!!!!!!! cars heat up like an oven.

Unless it is the only protection you have from radiant heat do not get in a car. Even then covered up on the ground is better.

Cover up with a blanket or similar in the lee side of the vehical at ground level.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 01:12 am
Well, I don't remember the details from a lecture twenty years ago. Just stories. I'd be reluctant re a car myself, but who knows my other choices. It might well have been a 'that is all there is' scenario.
Don't trust me to represent Radke, it was a long time ago.

People in our area (around LA hills) have learned to stay and fight, which I am personally against.. Have key things, get-in-the-car able and leave early, re my pov. There's at least one hero on the news re LA who stayed while wife left and he put out embers.

We have a lot of canyons.

Me, we should live lightly on the land, or hard. (Mostly light) A no big deal camp, or...

whatever the latest non conflagrationist design - but small.

Small being another kind of light.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 02:18 am
Heard from Lightwizard. He is fine.
0 Replies