Which Canadian City has the most beautiful Architecture?

hamburger

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 11:27 am
hi , dj !

this is a good overview of what the ottawa climate is like :

Quote:
Ottawa has a humid continental climate (Koppen Dfb) with a range of temperatures from a record high of 37.8 °C (100 °F) in the summers of 1986 and 2001, to a record low of -38.9 °C (-38 °F) being recorded on December 29, 1933, the third coldest temperature recorded in a capital city (after Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia and Moscow, Russia). This extreme range in temperature allows Ottawa to boast a variety of annual activities, and the requirement of a wide range of clothing. Because of its relatively warm summers, Ottawa is only the seventh coldest capital in the world[8] by annual average temperature, however by mean January temperature, Ottawa ranks third behind Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia and Astana, Kazakhstan.

Snow and ice are dominant during the winter season. Ottawa receives about 235 centimetres (93 in) of snowfall annually. Its biggest snowfall was recorded on March 4, 1947 with 73 cm (2.5 feet) of snow.[9] Average January temperature is -10.8 °C (13 °F), although days well above freezing and nights below -25 °C (-13 °F) both occur in the winter. The snow season is quite variable; in an average winter, a lasting snow cover is on the ground from mid-December until early April, although some years are snow-free until beyond Christmas, particularly in recent years. The year 2007 was notable for having no lasting snow cover until the third week of January. High wind chills are common, with annual averages of 51, 14 and 1 days with wind chills below -20 °C (-4 °F), -30 °C (-22 °F) and -40 °C (-40 °F) respectively. The lowest recorded wind chill was of -47.8 °C (-54.0 °F) on January 8, 1968.

Freezing rain is also relatively common, even relative to other parts of the country. One such large storm caused power outages and affected the local economy, and came to be known as the 1998 Ice Storm.

Summers are fairly warm and humid in Ottawa, although they are typically short in length. The average July maximum temperature is 26.5 °C (80 °F), with occasional incursions of cool northerly air which drop humidity levels, although temperatures of 30 °C (86 °F) or higher occur frequently. A maximum temperature of 39.5 °C (103 °F) was recorded in the summer of 2005 at certain locations. During periods of hot weather, high humidity is often an aggravating factor, especially close to the rivers. Ottawa annually averages 41, 12 and 2 days with humidex readings above 30 °C (86 °F), 35 °C (95 °F) and 40 °C (104 °F) respectively. The highest recorded humidex was 48 °C (118 °F) on August 1, 2006.[10]

more info on OTTAWA :
OTTAWA

we've been living in KINGSTON (eastern ontario) for the last 50 years .
the city proper is situated right on lake ontario - it's a sailors PARADISE !
located about 150 km south of ottawa .
lake ontario moderates the temperatures somewhat , but 35 C in the summer and MINUS 25 C in the winter are not unknown here .
summers are also often quite humid .
it's essentially a UNIVERSITY (see : QUEEN'S UNIVERSITY ) and MILITARY city with a fair number of seniors who have moved here from toronto and other cities after retirement .

Quote:
Kingston has the highest percentage of science and engineering PhDs of any large city in Canada.

Statistics Canada released data on the education levels of the local population and it showed the city has 929 people per 100,000 with science or engineering doctorates, a higher percentage than Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal or Victoria.

The findings come months after the national statistics agency released a report that found Kingston has the most PhDs overall of any of the 27 major centres studied by Statistics Canada.

see for more information :
KINGSTON - PHD GRADUATES

one-family houses are only about 50% of toronto prices - in the $250,000 t0 300,000 range . there are also a fair number of houses selling for less than $200,000 . houses near the university - which is pretty well located downtown - cost about an extra $50,000 to $100,000 - particularly so called OLD STONES - houses built by scottish stone-masons before 1900 .

a wealth of information about kingston from A-Z :
http://amateurtraveler.com/2007/04/21/episode-87-kingston-ontario/

hope this will give you some useful information .
hbg
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 11:54 am
Quote:
hamburger wrote:
more info on OTTAWA :
OTTAWA

we've been living in KINGSTON (eastern ontario) for the last 50 years .
the city proper is situated right on lake ontario - it's a sailors PARADISE !
located about 150 km south of ottawa .
lake ontario moderates the temperatures somewhat , but 35 C in the summer and MINUS 25 C in the winter are not unknown here .
summers are also often quite humid .
it's essentially a UNIVERSITY (see : QUEEN'S UNIVERSITY ) and MILITARY city with a fair number of seniors who have moved here from toronto and other cities after retirement .

Quote:
Kingston has the highest percentage of science and engineering PhDs of any large city in Canada.

Statistics Canada released data on the education levels of the local population and it showed the city has 929 people per 100,000 with science or engineering doctorates, a higher percentage than Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal or Victoria.

The findings come months after the national statistics agency released a report that found Kingston has the most PhDs overall of any of the 27 major centres studied by Statistics Canada.

see for more information :
KINGSTON - PHD GRADUATES

one-family houses are only about 50% of toronto prices - in the $250,000 t0 300,000 range . there are also a fair number of houses selling for less than $200,000 . houses near the university - which is pretty well located downtown - cost about an extra $50,000 to $100,000 - particularly so called OLD STONES - houses built by scottish stone-masons before 1900 .

a wealth of information about kingston from A-Z :
http://amateurtraveler.com/2007/04/21/episode-87-kingston-ontario/

hope this will give you some useful information .
hbg

Do you find Kingston is windy?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 12:47 pm
dj wrote :

Quote:
Do you find Kingston is windy?

i find that question a little difficult to answer .
as i said : kingston is located right on lake ontario and is a sailors' and SAILBOARDERS' paradise .
we live about a mile from the lake and don't find the wind a problem - it provides a nice breeze in the summer !
major storms usually skirt kingston , either moving to the west (ottawa) or south (upper new york state) .
btw we are less than an hour from the next U.S. city : watertown , NY state (via the 1,000 island international bridge) .

because of the wide open areas in north-america - NO mountain barrier between the arctic and the gulf of mexico , there are not that many completely calm days , i'd say .

does that help ?

if you are looking for CANADA'S-NEWS-OF-THE-DAY , the GLOBE AND MAIL provides the best coverage from politicss , to business and the arts for all of canada - see link below .
hbg

link :
CANADA : EMPLOYMENT
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 02:26 pm
Well, put this way does your hair get distroyed by the wind Wink
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 02:50 pm
Quote:
Well, put this way does your hair get distroyed by the wind

even at my ADVANCED age i still have to go to the barber at least twice a year - still some hair left even after all the wind coming off the lake Laughing
looking out of the computer room window - facing to the west - i see the trees swaying in the wind and the neighbour's canadian flag putting on a full display .
wind coming from the south - right across lake ontario - will be strong enough to blow out the cobwebs in my brain :wink:
hbg
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 02:55 pm
hamburger wrote:
Quote:
Well, put this way does your hair get distroyed by the wind

even at my ADVANCED age i still have to go to the barber at least twice a year - still some hair left even after all the wind coming off the lake Laughing
looking out of the computer room window - facing to the west - i see the trees swaying in the wind and the neighbour's canadian flag putting on a full display .
wind coming from the south - right across lake ontario - will be strong enough to blow out the cobwebs in my brain :wink:
hbg

Well since I hate the wind ill probably hate Kingston?

Its windy here in Edinburgh all the time and it annoys the hell out of me.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 03:19 pm
Quote:
Well since I hate the wind ill probably hate Kingston?

Its windy here in Edinburgh all the time and it annoys the hell out of me.

since windturbines are being installed from east to west and south to north all over canada , those are probably not good news for you .
you might want to find a country where windturbines are just erected as non-moving monuments :wink:
have you considered living in a cave or abandoned mine Laughing ?
they should be relatively calm - and quiet too !
hbg

ps. windturbines are being erected on an island just off the shoreline of kingston to take advantage of the steady and strong winds - sorry !

plans call for erecting 86 of these babies shortly .

http://blog.thismagazine.ca/archives/Wind-turbine.jpg
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 04:11 pm
I'd rather live in Iraq than in a cave! According to stats Kingston is the 17th windiest city in Canada. Ottawa is the 49th.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 04:13 pm
Unfortunately, I don't think that most any Canadian city would meet your criteria for wind and climate. It is still, however, an extremely lovely country to live in.
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 02:01 am
Yes I have heard it is one of the best places to live. Im not bothered about about the winter, rain or snow. Its the wind I hate. I don't mind if there is wind its when its bloody gale force winds like here in Edinburgh all the time.

In the summer time, halifax and Ottawa are not windy according to stats, something like 56th and 46th windiest5 city ins ummer time. Compared to Kingston which is 23rd windiest in summer or something.

I just want to know if Kingston is as windy as Edinburgh and if its a strong wind?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 09:58 am
I'm not sure why you'd be pursuing Kingston when it's clear it doesn't have appropriate employment options for you.

(and why are we even talking about wind in a thread about 'beautiful cities'? - wind doesn't change Canajun architecture much - rain and snow do that (effect the roof pitch))

~~~

It probably wouldn't effect your thinking much but I'd have to say that Edinburgh seems quite mild in terms of wind and weather when I compare it to the Canajun cities I've lived in and visited.

When you think about the centre of Canada - think about Siberia - it really is the closest weather comparison (in European terms).
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 10:31 am
All Canadian cities are beautiful and all Canadian cities are windy. Just the facts.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 10:42 am
Too true, Intrepid, too true.

(except Oshawa - it really is icky)
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 10:50 am
ehBeth wrote:
Too true, Intrepid, too true.

(except Oshawa - it really is icky)

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
The reason for my laughing is that my son and his family live in Oshawa. However, it is on the outskirts in a nice house and nice area. You are right. No wind where he lives. :wink:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 10:53 am
I think it's a hmmmm pleasant enough community - but it just has no pretty architecture and the nightlife there pretty much requires a big motorcycle Cool
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 11:57 am
I doubt all of Canada is windy. Cold yes but i dont care about that, i couldnt care if its -30. Im more bothered about how the place looks, feels (the attitude of people) and the wind. If Kingston is very windy then ill take it off my list. According to stats Ottawa isn't that windy.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 12:58 pm
You are not very likely to get blown over (if you weigh more that 60 pounds) anyplace other than perhaps Portage & Main in Winnipeg. Bay Street in Toronto can be a challenge, at times.

You should probably be more concerned with your economic possibilities than the wind. Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 01:55 pm
Intrepid's right.
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 08:10 am
Intrepid wrote:
You are not very likely to get blown over (if you weigh more that 60 pounds) anyplace other than perhaps Portage & Main in Winnipeg. Bay Street in Toronto can be a challenge, at times.

You should probably be more concerned with your economic possibilities than the wind. Smile

True but I hate the wind so that wont exactly help lol

As long as the place is not like gale force winds I wont mind.
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 02:16 pm
Well thanx for everyone sinput, much appreciated. It's good to have the list down to 4 places now.
0 Replies