Which Canadian City has the most beautiful Architecture?

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 11:54 am
Just wondering which City in Canada has the most beautiful buildings with the least anmount of sky scrappers. Im planning on going to Canada to visit in the next 2 years to see where I owuld like to plan to live as Canada is top of my list.

I conducted a lot of research around the average house prices compared to the average houshold income and ccame up with the list below (using this site: http://www.canadianbusiness.com/rankings/bestplacestolive/list.jsp

The numbers next to the names are what income would be left after calculating the household income x 3 in order to buy a property. So Gander is top with 130,000 left. and Kingston (which looks lovely) is at -7,000

Gander (TOWN) 130 (NL) - Amazingly cheap to buy property here.
Regina 87 (Saskatchewan)
Windsor 68 (Ontario)
Fredericton 66 (New Brunswick)
Moncton 52 (New Brunswick)
Winnipeg 36 (NB)
Saskatoon 34 (Saskatchewan)
Lethbridge 31 (Alberto)
Halifax 5 (Nova Scotia)
Ottawa 0 (Ontario)
Kingston -7 (Ontario)

Ive never been to Canada before but I wouldn't have enough funds to go to all these places but would be really good to know what cities have good architectual buildings and good parks and good scenary.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,141 • Replies: 59
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 02:29 pm
Kingston and Ottawa are lovely, but I think the most beautiful buildings in Canada are in Quebec City, Montreal and Halifax.

Nothing as old as you'll find in Europe, but lovely nonetheless.

Interesting modern buildings in Toronto and Vancouver.

There's a reason housing costs are so low in Gander. No one wants to live there. There isn't a lot of work to be found in Newfoundland.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 Oct, 2007 02:31 pm
If you're thinking of emigrating to Canada in two years, you should already have your paperwork started, as it can take from 18 months to many years to get a decision from Canada as to whether you'll be accepted as a landed immigrant.
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 05:09 am
ehBeth wrote:
If you're thinking of emigrating to Canada in two years, you should already have your paperwork started, as it can take from 18 months to many years to get a decision from Canada as to whether you'll be accepted as a landed immigrant.

I said im planning on visiting in the next two years, never said im going to live there in that time Wink. I know it takes 18-24months for the process. That's why once ive visited ill apply to which place I want to live.
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 05:31 am
ehBeth wrote:
Kingston and Ottawa are lovely, but I think the most beautiful buildings in Canada are in Quebec City, Montreal and Halifax.

Nothing as old as you'll find in Europe, but lovely nonetheless.

Interesting modern buildings in Toronto and Vancouver.

There's a reason housing costs are so low in Gander. No one wants to live there. There isn't a lot of work to be found in Newfoundland.

Vancouver is way too expensive to live in so that is out of the qustion, although Kingston is expensive also it looks lovely (from pictures) and is a good size. Quebec is too expensive also and montreal is quite expensive for property.

The problem with Quebec is that A) some of the places have high unemployment rate and B) the house prices are very expensive compared to the income average and C) they are all very small apart from a couple.

The only places I could find which would be affordable to buying property in the future with low unemployment rates of less than 7% would be...

Sept-iles 60 (Quebec) - the most affordable place to buy property in Quebec but it is very small.
(pop: 25k)

Victoriaville 25 (Quebec) - the better of sizes in terms of population and affordable housing.
(pop: 50k)

Saint-Georges 9 (Quebec) - the more expensive of the 3 places.
(pop: 30k)

I have no idea about these places? don't know if they have good archetecture or not?
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 07:52 am
Do they all speak English in Quebec City? From the research I did it say's only 40% are Canadian with 29% being French the other being multiple nationalities with only 1.4% british.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 09:21 am
I don't understand the statistics you mention. But anyway ... La ville de Québec is the provincial capitol of the province of Québec. It is beautiful and encourages tourism, so you will be able to enjoy it with a smile and a few courtesy words in French. To live or work there, you would need to be fluently French.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 10:42 am
To live and work in the province of Quebec, you need to be fluent in French.

It's interesting that you consider Quebec City and Kingston expensive in terms of housing, djalliance. By Canadian standards, they're really quite inexpensive.
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 12:38 pm
ehBeth wrote:

It's interesting that you consider Quebec City and Kingston expensive in terms of housing, djalliance. By Canadian standards, they're really quite inexpensive.

If over 60% speak English how comes I need to speak French to find work? Anyway Kingston's property market is above average compared to the wages income which is why its expensive.

See here: http://www.canadianbusiness.com/rankings/bestplacestolive/list.jsp?pageID=profile&profile=48&year=2007&type=profile&listType=CITY&ptype=CITY
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 02:22 pm
djalliance wrote:
ehBeth wrote:

If over 60% speak English how comes I need to speak French to find work? Anyway Kingston's property market is above average compared to the wages income which is why its expensive.

See here: http://www.canadianbusiness.com/rankings/bestplacestolive/list.jsp?pageID=profile&profile=48&year=2007&type=profile&listType=CITY&ptype=CITY

By law (The Charter of the French Language), French is the only official
language of Quebec. It was made a law by the National Assembly on
August 26, 1977. Note that the legislature of the Province of Quebec is
called "the National Assembly".
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 03:05 pm
Thanks for the info, I noticed when looking at jobs in Quebec is was all in French lol
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 06:17 pm
djalliance wrote:
ehBeth wrote:

Quebec City is 95% French. French is the prominent language in Quebec and English is the minority language. The fact that many can speak English does not negate the fact that Quebec is basically French Canada.
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 12:29 am
Can anyone recommend which cities are the most beautiful which are on my list? Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 09:57 am
ehBeth wrote:
Halifax
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 12:47 pm
Based on the list, I would agree with ehbeth
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 03:35 pm
Intrepid wrote:

Yeah but the problem is that with sea level rises aparently storms are getting worse there.
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 03:37 pm
Does anyone know what Winnipeg and Windsor are like? as they hav had excellent reveiew from what ive ben reading.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 04:10 pm
I've always enjoyed Winnipeg when I visited but ... you have to be okay with a lonnnnnnng very cold very windy winter. Think of a Siberian winter. Not much in the way of interesting architecture in Winnipeg. Certainly a good place if you're interested in working with the homeless, but you'd likely have to take some specialty courses in working with the native community before anyone would hire you for that sort of work in Winnipeg. Not much in the way of scenery - it's damn flat out there in the prairies.

On the upside, some of the friendliest people I've ever met and some decent art galleries.

~~~

Oh, somewhere you talked about cafes - Canadians don't have much of a cafe culture in comparison to what I've read (mostly nimh's posts) about Europe.

~~~
~~~

Windsor's not someplace I've willingly stopped my car - maybe Intrepid or someone like djjd knows more about it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 04:12 pm
djalliance wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Yeah but the problem is that with sea level rises aparently storms are getting worse there.

ok - you wanted an answer about beautiful. You got it.

Canadian weather is another issue that I've tried to bring up with you earlier. It's harsh in Canada. It is not a soft country in terms of weather - or landscape.
0 Replies

djalliance

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 02:19 am
ehBeth wrote:
djalliance wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

ok - you wanted an answer about beautiful. You got it.

Canadian weather is another issue that I've tried to bring up with you earlier. It's harsh in Canada. It is not a soft country in terms of weather - or landscape.

Im sure if its lovely as people say I wont mind - its only for 3months of the year, its bloody boltic here in Scotland already - obviously no where near as Canada Wink
0 Replies