Lights Out: How Fast, How Slow?

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 03:13 am
Is there a normal way of falling asleep? My wife and I have completely different experiences. Once I decide that I am going to fall asleep, I shut my eyes and am asleep in less than a minute. It doesn't matter whether I am in my own bed for a nap at two in the afternoon or on a plane going somewhere. At night, in my own bed, I can be asleep even faster, shut my eyes, I'm out cold.

She, on the other hand, takes about an hour, she reports, for the feeling of becoming sleepy to overtake her. So she watchs TV or surfs on her laptop until that happens and then it still takes five or ten minutes for her to start snoozing.

How about you?
How fast do you fall asleep?

Joe(and am I the odd one?)Nation
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,863 • Replies: 35
No top replies

Francis

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 04:36 am
As fast as you, Joe. Just have to close my eyes.

But only in a bed, I cannot sleep anywhere else.

So, I don't sleep on planes, that's why I've always at least three books in my carry-on..
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 04:43 am
Sorry Joe, I'm all over the place. It can be seconds or hours, although I do have a remarkable knack for being able to sleep on floors, in planes, trains and lecture theatres.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 05:15 am
Hingehead: did you teach yourself to do that? Sleep on floors, in planes, trains and lecture theatres(heh). Or is it something you just discovered yourself doing?

Too bad about not being able to sleep on planes, Francis, I'm sure the reading does you a lot of good, but I love looking out the window for a few minutes over New York and then being shaken awake at my destination.

Joe(hmm? Oh, it's Florida!)Nation
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 05:23 am
Like Francis (and Joe). But actually it mustn't really be a bed but a place lay down somewhat comfortable (= no seat).
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 05:50 am
Are ya'll voting in the poll?

Joe(I need data points)Nation
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 05:51 am
Perhaps there is a sex-linked component that influences the transition time between consciousness and slumber.

I need at least a half an hour between the time I lie down and the time I zonk out--and that half hour has to be quiet.

Beds--or couches or pallets on the floor--are for sleeping. Airplanes and cars and trains and buses are not. I can meditate in moving vehicles, but I can't sleep.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 06:08 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Perhaps there is a sex-linked component that influences the transition time between consciousness and slumber..

I'm sure there is.

However, maybe in a different way you're referring to.

Looks like some have sex unconsciously, others just in their dreams...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 06:26 am
Click!, and I am out. I love to watch "Law & Order". Sometimes they have a few of them in a row on cable tv. Often, I am watching a show. The next time that I look, it is entirely different story, and possibly an hour or two has passed.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 06:31 am
I mess up the gender thing (term changed to foil Francis) -- I can sleep pretty much anywhere, and unless there are extenuating circumstances (too much caffeine, too much sleep the night before, horror movie...) I fall asleep fast.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 06:37 am
I'm out in seconds. I haven't tossed and turned and fought sleep in years. I sleep like a baby. I also used to absolutely require 8 hours of sleep. I now function better on 6-7.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 07:19 am
In order for me to fal asleep I need to be physically and mentally exausted. If i'm not asleep in half an hour or so I get up and chat with you nice people.

Mumpad on the other hand is out like a light.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 07:40 am
I never sleep but it hasn't effected my appetite.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 07:45 am
dyslexia wrote:
I never sleep but it hasn't effected my appetite.

Rust never sleeps.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 08:13 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Hingehead: did you teach yourself to do that? Sleep on floors, in planes, trains and lecture theatres(heh). Or is it something you just discovered yourself doing?

I assume I'm being pragmatic rather than ideological.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 08:17 am
I take the five to ten minutes route, but I wake up early, no matter what. Only rarely can I sleep in.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 09:45 am
I usually read a couple of pages before falling asleep. I can sleep on planes, especially after reading for a while. Or during the movie...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 11:10 am
I can sleep anywhere, anytime. Though, I have to say that I think that head-hitting-the-pillow and 3 minutes to snooze-time are pretty much the same thing.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 11:25 am
I estimate about three minutes after my head hits the pillow. I also fall asleep watching TV, at the computer and reading. My wife comes into the den every evening to wake me up to tell me it's time to go to bed.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 02:59 pm
Re: Lights Out: How Fast, How Slow?
Joe Nation wrote:

Quote:
Is there a normal way of falling asleep?

Probably not.
For a norm to be established,
big surveys wud have to be run for the statistics.

Quote:
My wife and I have completely different experiences.
Once I decide that I am going to fall asleep, I shut my eyes and am asleep
in less than a minute. It doesn't matter whether I am in my own bed for a nap
at two in the afternoon or on a plane going somewhere.
At night, in my own bed, I can be asleep even faster, shut my eyes, I'm out cold.
She, on the other hand, takes about an hour, she reports, for the feeling
of becoming sleepy to overtake her. So she watchs TV or surfs on her
laptop until that happens and then it still takes five or ten minutes for her to start snoozing.

How about you?
How fast do you fall asleep?

Joe(and am I the odd one?)Nation

It depends on how tired n sleepy I am.

David
0 Replies