Where was George when the lights went out?

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 11:56 am
Very interesting announcement on the news last night when power was finally restored.

From a major news station: George Bush had decided not to visit the NYC area, nor even to send a message. He decided instead to attend two fund-raisers in California. Later, someone came on and said he probably didn't want to upset the citizens by mentioning it.

When the subect of the whereabouts of VP Dick Cheney came up (hadn't heard fro him either), it was thought he was still on vacation in Wyoming. So Andrew Card - who is unofficial - was the designated hitter. But he never sent a message either. For those of you who don't remember, it took a week for George Bush to get to New York after the World Trade Towers disaster. Clinton, ex-president, was there immediately.

It certainly would have been reassuring to governors, mayors, and just people to know they had a leader who maybe didn't care, but at least was interested. We do have one ot two who are interested, but none of their names is george.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,147 • Replies: 34
No top replies

Laeknir Scrat

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 12:16 pm
Where was George when the lights went out?

He couldn't notice. For him, the lights have never been on.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 12:18 pm
Laughing

Is this an omen? Losing power...
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 02:06 pm
Food for thought, Lightwizard. This time, however, his lack of attention has brought forth a lot of comments. Also - gotta tell you I love your punning.

However, this was the worst power outage we've had, taking in an area from Detroit to New York and New Jersey, and they've now restored almost all power. One would think that something of this magnitude would attract at least a wave from someone up high. Not gone unnoticed in this area.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 02:23 pm
eThat was (and I try to stick to) double entendre -- a little more respectible than puns. You know if the bun is the lowest form of wheat than the pun must be the lowest form of humor.

Dubya's take was that he thinks we need to update our power grid. That came trippingly off his tongue without a hint of sarcasm, just that usual deadpan expression that makes me wonder sometimes if Dubya hasn't had botox treatments. This has been going on for years, ever since the slipshod privitization of the energy industry (they put about as much thought into that as how Afghanistan and Iraq would be handled after the wars). Investors have understandably shied away from the electrical power entities -- the repercussions after the Enron failure are going to make the savings and loan debacle look paltry in comparison. The taxpayer will one day be handed the bill, one way or another. The political pickpockets, no matter if they are wearing disguises, are both Republican or Democrat. The tax cut is really a loan from federal funds and will eventually have to be paid back with undisclosed and exorbitant interest.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 02:26 pm
Weren't you all better off with his beak out of it! Question

Gadzooks - he's a politician - a totally useless tribe Twisted Evil
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 02:29 pm
NO, he is not a politician, I'm sorry. I don't know what he is, but by definition not a politician.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 02:34 pm
Well, someone in charge finally told it like it is: "We have a third-world power grid." I'd go with that, having lived in alleged third-world circumstances with much more reliable power. But perhaps we should extend this concept to include not just electrical outages, but the power grid in Washington. Wouldn't "third-world" describe the values and attitudes and reliability of our own tin-pot dictators?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 02:37 pm
I, for one, think a president showing up at an event like this is a photo-op, and nothing more.

Does he not have respect for the people, who are running the show in these areas? What good would it have done? There were plenty of administrators and politicians to go around. He would have just caused more of a problem with plane/copter landing, entourage vehicles and the assorted drama that comes with a Presidential visit.

He addressed the nation on TV the night of the blackout--and really, what good did that do? Its not like he had more updated information than the newsies or the affected mayors....

I actually think there are very few 'crisis' situations during which a Presidential photo-op type visit is suitable. They often cause more problems than they address. I keep flashing on Gore's Presidential campaign working the subway. He was nearly killed for blocking the walkway. I think George I made one of these crisis visits somewhere, and his entourage blocked traffic and infuriated people.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 03:30 pm
If he had done something the accusations would be that he was capitalizing on a photo-op. In addition there were political ramifications since he is in California and he has been trying to lay low.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 03:45 pm
I agree with AI, Craven (are you a real little boy? Very Happy ) Dubya doesn't want to make a lot of hay about power shortages, antiquated power grids or any kind of deficit spending as these are the criteria for the bad things Grey Davis has done to the state of California. Perhaps time for a new TVA to provide jobs and bring the power grid up to date? Seems like private enterprise is failing to do it. Why don't we also privatize the military?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 04:56 pm
I think both Sofia and Craven are right, but perhaps for a reason they wouldn't agree with. Bush is so suspect now -- given the public's dawning realizations about his insincerity, his love of photo ops, his unreliability -- that whatever he does, his motivations will be picked apart. I think he wanted the kind of treatment Reagan got; and he has forfeited it.

He certainly should have made a brief, helpful statement by 6 p.m. yesterday. Did he?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 05:24 pm
What would it have helped if George had shown up? Would it have done anyone any good? <shrugs>

Yeh perhaps in the beginning, to announce it wasnt a terrorist attack - but that message seems to have gotten thru fine without any grandstanding, too. I think he was right to leave it up to those who had a job being there. Showing up would just have been symbol-politics, and thats the everyday pollution of politics.

(i think you should change your poll options, mama ... bit too slanted, these. what about just, "no", not his job?)

Also, of course, the North East isnt where he's going to expect to win a lot of states anyhow, in the next elections ...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 05:30 pm
LOL! And a presidential visit, with attendant multi-cars/aircraft/electrical equipment/security nightmares/endless peoples etc would have assisted in the situation just how?
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 11:02 pm
Okay - now, if anyone saw this and can explain it to me, I would be grateful.

Saw George in a clip tonight on the PBS Newshour. In California, in shirtsleeves, standing on grass. He was giving his little explanation, and behind him were two women in brown uniforms with hats (police?) using shovels to dig behind him. There was no explanation from PBS - just this short clip. It was weird and strange, and since other people were watching the Newshour with me, I know I didn't dream it.

It's not for information, sofia. I don't think he ever has any. It's the appearance of the head of the country giving recognition to something big that happened. What gave the non-appearance strength was the fact that it was mentioned that he had decided to attend his fund-raisers instead. Those are photo-ops, this would have been an opportunity to show up legitimately as the head of state.

Bad, LW. I'm not so sure of the double entendre - although maybe so. Whatever, it was good. :wink:
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 11:08 pm
Actually, nimh, he's aiming for Michigan (where it hit), and Ohio, and Pennsylvania. I meant the poll to be slanted. It's not a real poll. And besides, a personal message may have eased what will be discussed vis a vis Cheney's hidden energy plan and the California plight.

I think you're right, Tart, and I think the teflon's beginning to wear thin.
0 Replies

MisterEThoughts

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 11:44 pm
i believe this guy is a AntiChrist same as the bible says i will give you a link and it has all the clues and everything why he might be the AntiCHrist

http://www.geocities.com/trebor_92627/Bush.htm
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 11:45 pm
Quote:
Saw George in a clip tonight on the PBS Newshour. In California, in shirtsleeves, standing on grass. He was giving his little explanation, and behind him were two women in brown uniforms with hats (police?) using shovels to dig behind him. There was no explanation from PBS - just this short clip. It was weird and strange, and since other people were watching the Newshour with me, I know I didn't dream it.

Perhaps he was doing some exploritory estate planning and had ordered testing of soil samples for petro chemicals before work on the shrine begins.

More then likely, it was a symbolic digging of Davis' grave.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2003 09:43 am
It is not worth the disruption he causes when he visits NY. We have enough pollution without him.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2003 11:57 am
Dear, Sophia<

Dubya was on TV the night the blackout began. His message, however, was not "live." It was a piece he had videotaped earlier so as not to conflict with his fund-raising time.

White House bon vivant Andrew Card had to pull together some thoughts for Dubya before the taping session, according to the AP.

I have seen before some awful appearances by Dubya, but the post-black-out mumbo jumbo was indeed the worst. Dubya looked like he had just come from a long bus trip and was somewhat disoriented.

Not only is our grid system outdated, but so is our president. Thankfully, we'll have a new one in 2005.
0 Replies