Can someone please help me out with African-American slang?

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 05:09 pm
Reply to tinygiraffe
tinygiraffe wrote:
no, i meant some of them are literally our bosses.

slang might be something that requires more research than you're willing to do. you think a lot of terms are "african american" that were in use by white people many decades ago, some of which might never be used in any black subculture.that alone suggests that you're not doing any of your own reading, and i hope you don't think it's rude to say this.

don't get me wrong, but even if you learn what a word means, you still have to learn the situation it would be used in. i have a feeling your project is going to be a collection of items that have nothing to do with the subject- that is, african american slang.

ideally, for each term you look up, you'd try to find it in use in several different places. moxie, lol- that's one i haven't heard in a long time. black term? news to me, although i guess it's possible. the last time i heard it, it was from a white woman, aged 60-something. but maybe she was hip. plus a lot of things are said just to be ironic (like "hip,") but that doesn't give you any clue to how they were used or who they were used by. a mack is someone that can get any girl he wants, or more than one- i guess a mackette would be a female version that can get any guy.

Hi-I'm an African American and I don't make generalizations about what black terms white folks use.

From Juba to Jibe was a good book on African-American slang. Do you know of any others?
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 05:23 pm
Quote:
some of which might never be used in any black subculture

this is the part i was really getting at, i'm unconvinced that a lot of these terms are even used mostly by (or originally by) black people, and are thus "african american" terms.

but i might be wrong, perhaps moxie for one, is an african american term after all.

i find it very odd indeed that you're asking what tomboy means, however. i mean that's something that almost any american should know the meaning of, unless you're also very young. but again, the thing about these things is how easy it is to be wrong. and no, i've never even read a book on slang. i find you get a bit farther just going out and talking to people- that of course, won't always teach you as much about history.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 05:28 pm
reply to all
"Saucybox" and "saucebox" are black American slang terms for a lively girl.
0 Replies

username

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 09:45 pm
Try "player" or "playa" or "playa playa", usually guys, but can be women too.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 10:40 pm
tinygiraffe wrote:
Quote:
some of which might never be used in any black subculture

this is the part i was really getting at, i'm unconvinced that a lot of these terms are even used mostly by (or originally by) black people, and are thus "african american" terms.

but i might be wrong, perhaps moxie for one, is an african american term after all.

i find it very odd indeed that you're asking what tomboy means, however. i mean that's something that almost any american should know the meaning of, unless you're also very young. but again, the thing about these things is how easy it is to be wrong. and no, i've never even read a book on slang. i find you get a bit farther just going out and talking to people- that of course, won't always teach you as much about history.

Hi-I wasn't asking what tomboy means-I said:

What are black slang terms for tomboy-a girl that likes to do "Guy" things ?

I listed a definition for "tomboy" - the definition I want, as opposed to the definition meaning lesbian.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 11:07 pm
i misread your question.

i googled "black term for tomboy" and read for a bit, and the closest thing i found was "bitch." kind of a pity.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 02:35 pm
reply to tinygiraffe
tinygiraffe wrote:
i misread your question.

i googled "black term for tomboy" and read for a bit, and the closest thing i found was "bitch." kind of a pity.

Hi Tinygiraffe-there's probably some other terms I can use, that are under my nose-but I not sure how to rephrase the term so I can find what I'm looking for.

Have you heard the term "hard steppa" used anywhere? Is sounds like someone that's not afriad to fight someone.

Do you know any African-American slang terms I can use for a "butch female" that's aren't vulgar are derogatory?
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 04:17 pm
Re: reply to tinygiraffe
JGoldman10 wrote:
Do you know any African-American slang terms I can use for a "butch female" that's aren't vulgar are derogatory?

i wish i did, but no. i'll be interested if anyone finds one.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 12:37 pm
Reply to all
Hello. Is "polecat" a term people use for a "tough black female"?

Has anyone heard of the terms, "roughneck" and "cinderblock sister" used in this context?
0 Replies