Primary and Secondary Dental Plans

Sglass

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 06:05 am
Has anyone on A2K had any experience with primary and secondary dental plans. If so I would certainly appreciate your sharing your story and/or experience.

Also, has anyone looked into or gone to foreign countries, such as Mexico or Thailand and had dental work done? If so, what were the results?

Recently I had two teeth extracted under anesthesia and it only cost a little under $1,000.

Now, I have two dental plans, one I retired with, and one that my husband enrolled me in at his company. And thus far, I have not been able to collect from other insurance company. I had to pay up front for the extractions (before they were pulled by a high priced dentist in Hawaii).

Talk about frustration.

Looking for positive feedback and suggestions before i get out the frying pan and start chasing this rich oral surgeon whose kids I am putting through college.

I understand that dentists are making more money that most medical doctors today.

There was an article, i beleive in the NY Times on the subject. If anyone has seen it and print it on A2K. Would be appreciated.

\\
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 930 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 06:38 am
Do you want to know about primary and secondary dental plans, or going abroad to get dental work? I was not clear on that. If it is the latter, check out:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2006/10/15/business/yourmoney/15care.html
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 07:21 am
Thanks Phoenix,

I am probably more interested in primary/secondary dental plans at this point. I intend to get on the phone today and talk to both dental insurance companies that MA and I belong to respectively.

We were all set to head out to Juarez MX across the border from El Paso to the Washington Dental Clinic in Juarez when question of filing for reinbursement came up. Now I know that Washington Dental Clinic will fill out papers, and my company does reimburse (supposedly). They probably will honor MA's plan too. This is where primary/secondary comes in, plus the PPO routine.

Now, I have a brochure from Washington Dental Clinic with their prices, which are very affordable and I have talked to real people that have used them and have had excellent results. To be honest, we can use this clinic, pay totally out of our pockets for our respective dental needs, airfare, food and hotel and it will cost less than using a mainland dentist.

For instance, I can have the rest of my teeth pulled and a set of top quality plates made for appox. $1,500. MA can have a new set of plates for just under $500.

I have a friend, presently in Thailand (Chang Mai) having implants done. This is his second trip and is happy. I had looked at going to Thailand, but was a little nervous about it and decided Mexico was a better choice for now. Later I could go to Thailand and get implants to anchor my plates.

I am just so irritated with high priced denistry which is possibly driven up by high priced malpratice insurance. So I look for better alterntives for my senior citizen buck.

People are dying from infection caused by bad teeth because they either do have any sort of dental insurance or the money to pay for it.

Wonder if AARP has a lobby on this.

Thanks,

Sglass
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 04:14 pm
On bringing this post back up I see that I lost part of my post on denistry in the US. But there is another one going. Will just add to it.
0 Replies