Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 10:30 am
JTT wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
The Dems were so worried about distabilizing the ME and causing havoc. If that were the case then how come they went and did something stupid like this?

It was contained to Iraq and Afghanistan now its going to spread!

Does that mean that you'll be getting a recall notice soon, B. Will it be your sworn duty to be headin' on over there to try to put a stop to this? How long was your last tour of duty anyway?

Not that your questions are bad, but Baldimo should be respected for his service no matter whether we agree with his opinions or not.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 10:49 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
JTT wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
The Dems were so worried about distabilizing the ME and causing havoc. If that were the case then how come they went and did something stupid like this?

Does that mean that you'll be getting a recall notice soon, B. Will it be your sworn duty to be headin' on over there to try to put a stop to this? How long was your last tour of duty anyway?

Not that your questions are bad, but Baldimo should be respected for his service no matter whether we agree with his opinions or not.

Cycloptichorn

That might well be, Cy, if, if he actually served. Somethin's mighty fishy.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 10:58 am
JTT wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
JTT wrote:
Baldimo wrote:

Cycloptichorn

That might well be, Cy, if, if he actually served. Somethin's mighty fishy.

Based upon a bunch of prior posts, I have little doubt about this.

But, let's be honest - personal details of people's Real Lives aren't all that important to the discussion anyways.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 11:09 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:

But, let's be honest - personal details of people's Real Lives aren't all that important to the discussion anyways.

Cycloptichorn

Admittedly, Cy, I haven't read each and every one of B's posts, but I'm still not so certain that he has served. He could straighten this out in a flash, just as GWB could have. Is he now ignoring it?

If he has served, grand; if he hasn't, well let's just wait and see what B has to say.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 12:42 pm
JTT, eat a big can of idiot soup today?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 12:51 pm
JTT wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Admittedly, Cy, I haven't read each and every one of B's posts, but I'm still not so certain that he has served. He could straighten this out in a flash, just as GWB could have. Is he now ignoring it?

If he has served, grand; if he hasn't, well let's just wait and see what B has to say.

I will bite my tounge with you.

The pic in my avatar is of me in Kandahar Afghanistan on the flight line. I'm a 15U. That means I'm a helicopter mechanic. I worked on the Chinook while deployed. I was in Pakistan for about 5 months after the earthquakes in Oct 05 and from there went to Afghanistan for about 9 or 10 months. In fact I have been home for a year now this week. Since I have been back I was accepted and promoted into flight platoon to be a Flight Engineer. You got any other questions buddy. I'm more then happy to answer questions. The thing you have to learn is that I'm a soldier and I'm proud. I have a cool Army job that I like. I mean where else do you get paid to fly on a helicopter?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 01:06 pm
JTT would probably rather believe Jesse MacBeth or John Kerry, Baldimo.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 01:47 pm
okie wrote:

in that baldi and kerry both went into the service voluntarily, they are due equal respect.

and as far as baldi goes... i'm glad that he made it back safely and without serious injury.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 02:19 pm
I think Baldimo and John Kerry are both to be respected for voluntarily serving their country in a dangerous far-away place -- more than most of us, or most politicians for that matter, have ever done.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 04:32 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
okie wrote:

in that baldi and kerry both went into the service voluntarily, they are due equal respect.

and as far as baldi goes... i'm glad that he made it back safely and without serious injury.

I thought this was about me not John Kerry. How did he get dragged into this? It was my military service that was in question not his. Besides I did my whole tour and he didn't. I know I know Bush never went and didn't serve his whole time. Thats fine with me, he never ran on his military service like Kerry did.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 04:34 pm
Baldimo wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
okie wrote:

I thought this was about me not John Kerry. How did he get dragged into this? It was my military service that was in question not his. Besides I did my whole tour and he didn't. I know I know Bush never went and didn't serve his whole time. Thats fine with me, he never ran on his military service like Kerry did.

More specifically, he ran from it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 04:58 pm
Recalling all of that, to set the record straight, again, Bush trained to fly an aircraft that was used in Vietnam, but by the time Bush may have volunteered to fly there, they were not requiring more use and more pilots to fly them in Vietnam.

The following link shows the common accusation, and then the story of Bush's National Guard service and the aircraft he flew, just in case some of you here would like to know more about the truth of it.

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/history/q0185.shtml

These quotes from that article:
"Thanks to Palace Alert, the Air Force was able to transfer much-needed National Guard pilots to Vietnam on a voluntary basis while not actually calling up their squadrons.

Fred Bradley, a friend of Bush's who was also serving in the Texas ANG, reported that he and Bush inquired about participating in Palace Alert. However, the two were told by their flight instructor, Maj. Maurice Udell, that they were not yet qualified since they were still in training and did not have the 500 hours of flight experience required. Furthermore, ANG veteran Col. William Campenni, who was a fellow pilot in the 111th FIS at the time, told the Washington Times that Palace Alert had stopped accepting new applicants before Bush would have been eligible."

"When interviewed by the Associated Press in February 2004, flight instructor Maj. Udell recalled that Lt. Bush was one of his best students saying that, "I'd rank him in the top five percent."

Maybe the fiction about Bush going AWOL can be put to rest in some of you people's minds if you would simply read up on it a little.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 05:02 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
okie wrote:

More specifically, he ran from it.

Cycloptichorn

What he did or didn't do isn't in question here, once again it was my military service that was put into play here and I know you defended me and I thank you for that. JTT on the other hand...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 05:07 pm
No worries, just couldn't resist.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 05:15 pm
Having enlisted and served in SouthEast Indo-China I have zero respect for the simple fact that someone has served in the military. I met more total idiots in my days in the service than I ever have in general society.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 05:33 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Having enlisted and served in SouthEast Indo-China I have zero respect for the simple fact that someone has served in the military. I met more total idiots in my days in the service than I ever have in general society.

Being military bestows no special wisdom or advantage to anybody. I totally concur that there are idiots in abundance in the military.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 08:44 pm
Baldimo wrote:
JTT on the other hand...

So, are you still in the military, Baldimo?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 08:48 pm
McGentrix wrote:
JTT, eat a big can of idiot soup today?

No, I'd actually like to try some of that to test the effects, to see what makes you, Tico and the gang operate but you've never been big on sharing,
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 08:58 pm
How can it be a good thing to sign up to do things that are both illegal and immoral? How can it be a good thing to sign up for an organization that kills people simply to advance selfish interests?

That's like saying, "I commend you for signing up with the Mafia".

Now there are times when signing up and service are both good and moral. I'm afraid that this is definitely NOT one of those times.

Quote:

The U.S. pioneered the public relations industry. Its committment was to "control the public mind," as its leaders put it. They learned a lot from the successes of the Creel Commission and the success in creating the Red Scare and its aftermath. The public relations industry underwent a huge expansion at that time. It succeeded for some time in creating almost total subordination of the public to business rule through the 1920s....

Public relations is a huge industry. They're spending by now something on the order of a billion dollars a year. All along its committment was to controlling the public mind....

...The corporate executive and the guy who cleans the floor all have the same interests. We can all work together and work for Americanism in harmony, liking each other. That was essentially the message. A huge amount of effort was put into presenting it. This is, after all, the business community, so they control the media and have massive resources... Mobilizing community opinion in favor of vapid, empty concepts like Americanism. Who can be against that?

Or, to bring it up to date, "Support our troops." Who can be against that? Or yellow ribbons. Who can be against that?... The point of public relations slogans like "Support our troops" is that they don't mean anything. They mean as much as whether you support the people in Iowa.

Of course, there was an issue. The issue was, Do you support our policy? But you don't want people to think about the issue. That's the whole point of good propaganda. You want to create a slogan that nobody's going to be against, and everybody's going to be for, because nobody knows what it means, because it doesn't mean anything, but its crucial value is that it diverts your attention....

That's all very effective. It runs right up to today. And of course it is carefully thought out. The people in the public relations industry aren't there for the fun of it. They're doing work. They're trying to instill the right values. In fact, they have a conception of what democracy ought to be: It ought to be a system in which the specialized class is trained to work in the service of the masters, the people who own the society. The rest of the population ought to be deprived of any form of organization, because organization just causes trouble. They ought to be sitting alone in front of the TV and having drilled into their heads the message, which says, the only value in life is to have more commodities or live like that rich middle class family you're watching and to have nice values like harmony and Americanism. That's all there is in life. You may think in your own head that there's got to be something more in life than this, but since you're watching the tube alone you assume, I must be crazy, because that's all that's going on over there....

So that's the ideal. Great efforts are made in trying to achieve that ideal. Obviously, there is a certain conception behind it. The conception of democracy is the one that I mentioned. The bewildered herd is a problem. We've got to prevent their rage and trampling. We've got to distract them. They should be watching the Superbowl or sitcoms or violent movies.

Every once in a while you call on them to chant meaningless slogans like "Support our troops." You've got to keep them pretty scared, because unless they're properly scared and frightened of all kinds of devils that are going to destroy them from outside or inside or somewhere, they may start to think, which is very dangerous, because they're not competent to think. Therefore it's important to distract them and marginalize them.

http://www.zmag.org/chomsky/talks/9103-media-control.html

[added emphasis is mine]
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 11:10 pm
(support our troops - bring them home!)

i've watched the current administration rape the benefits of veterans again, and again, and again, before and as this war has gone on. the idea that bush supports the troops is less than a laugh, it's just another sick joke.
0 Replies