How Popular is Able2Know.com ??

scs

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 12:15 am
I just realised that among so many topics being started, none is actually discussing about this website! So, i'm starting this topic to get people's response over how popular this website is, and if possible, some statistics to prove it. THANKS!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,466 • Replies: 93
No top replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 12:51 am
I would also be interested in that.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 12:59 am
Walter knows how to get figures like that.

It's not so popular as it deserves to be. Still, it's got me.

:wink:
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 02:47 am
Well, I can tell that the guys above are very popular..
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 06:15 am
And then there's me, scs.
I'm very UNPOPULAR on this forum, and after two and a half years, I still don't know why.
It's so weird because I tend to be really popular in real life, Laughing
Seriously- not to brag- but people ususally always like me- at my job, my neighbors, I never have any kind of unpleasant interactions, always smiles, jokes, etc.

Strangers take one look at my face and start talking to me on the street for god's sake, and that's been all over the world. In England, in the US, when I travel, etc. etc.
Just yesterday I was at a convenience store and I got to the counter and I'd left my wallet in the car. I put my peanut butter cups on the counter and said, "I forgot my wallet, I'll be right back,"
and started running out to my car.
The guy behind me, who I'd never seen before said, "Wait, where are
you going?"
I said, "I forgot my wallet; I'm going to get it. Why?"
He said, "I was just wondering if you want to hang out for a while."
Well, I'd never seen this guy before (although he looked like a nice guy) so I said, "Um, no- probably not, sorry" and I went to my car and got my wallet and paid for my stuff.
And then he said, "I'm sorry if I embarrassed you- you just look like a nice person- and I hate the thought that I'm just missing all these nice people walking into and out of my life."
Well, that got me. Because I feel that way all the time- that all these people we consider to be strangers walking by us every day might be really good people who could become friends.

I thought to myself, why do I have to follow the stupid rules of society which say things like, a woman shouldn't talk to strange men that she meets in convenience stores? But then I decided that sometimes rules were there for a reason- in this case safety.

All of which is to say that popularity is relative. I'd say to tell you to think of it like this. If it works for you and it's popular for you in your mind- go with it. If it doesn't- don't- but don't worry about what anyone else's experience is- because yours WILL be different. It HAS to be- you're a different person than everyone else. Maybe these folks will give you a chance, just like you're giving this forum a chance.

My own opinion as to the popularity of this website is that Francis' response is indicative as to the attitude of alot of the posters. And I think the forum could be more popular and successful if the posters didn't make it a popularity contest. And by that I mean, if they reacted to the posting and its relevance and value and not to whether or not they like the poster (most of whom they don't even know).
Because one poster on here knows me in real life- and I think I am popular with him Laughing .
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 06:57 am
scs, Welcome to A2K. "popular" is not my word of choice as it has the connotation of "bandwagon" or what teenagers seek. This forum is a great place to exchange ideas and share information. It is frequented because we all are trying to discover who we are, and what we know that can add enlightenment.

It's also a great place to improve one's spelling. Razz
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 07:13 am
aidan wrote:
I'm very UNPOPULAR on this forum, and after two and a half years, I still don't know why.

What nonsense....you are VERY popular with me.

x
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 07:35 am
I AM?! McTag- I never knew that....why don't you play LIMERICKS with me then? I've been dying for someone, anyone to play LIMERICKS with me...

We could talk about Scotland... how those crazy English people that I love so much are always denigrating you guys (in a good natured way- I worked with three Scottish people and the rest were English- except me, the lone American and I'll tell you those English made fewer jokes about me- the crazy American "colonist" as they called me- than they did about Moira and Andy and Marlene (the Scottish people at my job- all of whom I loved by the way).

So if I'm popular with you- why don't you start talking to me?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 07:46 am
Why do you think you're unpopular, aidan? Is it not as many replies as you think you should get, or is it outright hostility in posts to you, or...?
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 07:55 am
McTag wrote:
aidan wrote:

x

Ditto.

The site can come off cliquey at times, but ya know, that's normal for any social group, especially an internet group....don't sweat it.

Some of my favorite posters at this site are polar opposites of myself and my views on life....in fact, I'm even fond of many of the "Yankees" that inhabit this small portion of bandwidth.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 08:04 am
Well Snood- one time I got an outright post that said I inspired dislike and outright malevolence in alot of the regular posters.

And I don't understand how anything I've ever posted could engender that feeling in anyone.

I've also had people tell me to come down out of my ivory tower- which I found to be a really interesting and surprising view of me- that I was in any kind of ivory tower, given that people who really know me find that to be the most refreshing thing about me- the fact that there's not a snobby bone in my body- and YES, I will admit that they are surprised by that- given what they know about my background and life experiences and maybe what they hear in my voice or way of speaking- but the fact of the matter is that I do happen to be a very accepting person of people of all types and backgrounds.

You know, but that's life. People like some people and they don't like others. I can accept that. I just think that there are alot of posters (not just me) that don't get responded to as much as others because it's been recognized by some crazy consensus somewhere that they just aren't one of the crowd. And I think that is unfortunate and debilitating for the
forum.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 08:07 am
2PacksAday wrote:
McTag wrote:
aidan wrote:

x

Ditto.

The site can come off cliquey at times, but ya know, that's normal for any social group, especially an internet group....don't sweat it.

Some of my favorite posters at this site are polar opposites of myself and my views on life....in fact, I'm even fond of many of the "Yankees" that inhabit this small portion of bandwidth.

Twopacks- Does ditto mean that I'm popular with you too- because damn- that'd make my day. You're popular with me. From what I know of your background- it's very different than mine- but I have to say I almost always find myself agreeing with or smiling at or laughing at what you have to say.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 08:18 am
Quite popular with me, aidan. You're one of a half dozen that will draw me into a topic that looks uninteresting otherwise. And such a writer I sometimes reconsider my own viewpoint.

I don't do word games, though.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 08:22 am
I believe a sizeable portion of us sometimes feel ignored. Or, disliked, even. I went through a few times of feeling that way. I have learned that one's level of acceptance among members is not always what determines the response level. Look at my "I Think" thread. Well over 8,000 views, but very few relative responses.

Often I will post a response on a thread, only to have somebody come along behind me and express the same view. That one gets the attention 80% of the time. So what? The readers know who says what, and it all comes out in the wash, as they say.

I read many threads without posting, because I feel that my words will not carry along the topic. And, if too much reading is required, I tend to skim, or pass it over entirely. No reflection on the other posters, but on my limitations.

To those who feel underappreciated, I advise, hang in there and get over it. You are among friends.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 08:22 am
Yes, I think you are damn spiffy.

I have to go get breakfast or I would write more.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 08:44 am
Wow! Thanks Roger. I swear, I didn't respond to this fishing for compliments. Mainly, I wanted the author of this thread to consider his or her needs and whether they are met or not instead of something as surface or transitory as "popularity" . Because you see-things may be totally different below the surface than they appear on the surface...

Edgar- you and your input on original writing and music are what initially drew me in to this forum. I think I've already said thanks- but it never hurts to say it again. And just so you know, my perception of you is and always has been that you're probably one of the kindest people on this forum. And you're interesting and talented.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 08:53 am
Aidan: :wink:
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 09:40 am
Here's the answer to the initial question:
http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?url=http%3A%2F%2Fable2know.org

Below are stats for Able2know.com (the switch to the .org was very recent so the .com stats are still of interest):
http://www.big-boards.com/board/649/
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 11:06 am
Aidan - looks like you always had this problem with being popular.

Aidan wrote:
Aidan is a character. My name is Andy..........

It was then I realized, I would garner more attention as a woman than a man...

you've been talking to a guy. Just thought I'd let you know...

doctoral student
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 11:28 am
So, is this true Aidan....you are a man?
0 Replies