Improve your vocabulary AND be a do-gooder

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 07:12 pm
I just made it to

Quote:
VOCAB LEVEL 50

I think I'll just sit here and stare at that for a while - then get back to staring and thinking and occasionally guessing.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 07:14 pm
ehBeth wrote:
I just made it to

Quote:
VOCAB LEVEL 50

I think I'll just sit here and stare at that for a while - then get back to staring and thinking and occasionally guessing.

Cool! (Haven't been able to break out of level 49 yet; I'm not a very good guesser.)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 03:35 am
Right now I'm only getting up to 45. Sometimes the qs repeat and you catch a break. It's a good, challenging game. And the 2k (ever, whatever units) o' rice is of course excellent. Thank you for sharing this finding, ehBeth.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 05:00 pm
time for another round while the dog broth heats up
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 06:45 pm
Got to 50 a few times this week but I can't stay there. Hmm.
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 12:39 am
Love this game.
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 10:12 pm
Top tips for educating your guesses:

1. If you've never heard the word before and it looks like a noun guess that it's the animal, vegetable or mineral answer.

2. Synonyms often start with the same letter.

3. Look out for antonyms like ruthful or you will feel the pain.

4. If the words are abstruse go for the 3 word definition.

5. The answer to every third question is seemingly war or light.

6. Be very amused by furbelow: ruffle; and balata: golfball latex.

I came up with 440, 370 and 640 grain efforts yesterday and managed a 610 today.
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 01:54 am
In late breaking news, I added 340 grains. It may not seem like much but make no mistake it isn't easy.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 10:30 am
whenever this topic is updated, i play...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 12:30 pm

Very Happy
0 Replies

Truthyness

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 02:48 pm
Re: Improve your vocabulary AND be a do-gooder
ehBeth wrote:
Remember Reader's Digest 'improve your vocabulary' section (was that in the 1960's?).
Want to test/improve your vocabulary?
Do you want to help feed people?
www.freerice.com
Fun, free, good for you!
Very Happy

ehBeth
Good for me, for sure. though without wishing to be a spoiler here, one might ask what good 10 grains of rice will do! Mightn't that seem just a teeny weeny bit stingy. Reward at the subsistence rate.

Of course, there's something to be said for the concept, so perhaps it all it needs now is a nip and tuck here & there enhance the "donor" package somewhat, and make it a tad more abundant/dynamic/creative.

For the record, I stopped after around 20 mins at 2000 (level 48 I think it was). Funny thing but so many of the words were actually French! I confess to having resorted to www.dictionary.com when I was in doubt.

Cheers.
0 Replies

Truthyness

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 02:54 pm
Time please!
PS: Y'all need to declare timing too, that way we'll have an idea of how many resorted to dictionaries... Twisted Evil hé hé.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 03:54 pm
if you play enough, you'll start seeing the same words again...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 04:22 pm
I'd have to say hours and hours for time.

I open the site in the background when I'm doing laundry or something similarly exciting - here a word, there a word, sometimes two in a row before something beeps or buzzes.

If I'm on the phone listening to someone I might do more in a row. Maybe.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 05:19 pm
Hit the 50s a few times today. But man, they are verra verra hard at that level. I would like to see more grains going for the higher levels.
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 06:53 pm
jespah wrote:
Hit the 50s a few times today. But man, they are verra verra hard at that level. I would like to see more grains going for the higher levels.

Yes more grains, and some salty language and piquant wit.

I wonder whether or not a theoretical game of Balderdash has been tried on A2K before (hint, hint)?

MURINE is:

a) eye-popping
b) wet
c) salty
d) ratty
e) all of the above

Awry smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 06:55 pm
solipsister wrote:
I wonder whether or not a theoretical game of Balderdash has been tried on A2K before (hint, hint)?

I'm not sure if it's still on the go, but there was a game that ran at least several years in the games/trivia forum.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 03:28 am
Ah yes, the Balderdash game. Ran outta steam after something like four years, both here and on Abuzz.

Oh -- re freerice -- at least 2 of the words I knew I had learned from here. Smile
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 04:30 am
jespah wrote:
Ah yes, the Balderdash game. Ran outta steam after something like four years, both here and on Abuzz.

Oh -- re freerice -- at least 2 of the words I knew I had learned from here. Smile

Chatoyant (eponymous portent of the thread's kismet: oops too much rice) huh?

Balderdash might work without the scoring hell if posts were just for adding amusing words and definitions, a bit like a photo captions thread.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 04:34 am
I think that was tried and players weren't thrilled with it because they were still playing the regular game. But if you want to start a new topic with that sort of rule, I'm sure people will be interested.
0 Replies