now-famous

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 09:44 am
The now-famous Cheshire cat made his debut in Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland in 1865. Throughout the story, the cat pops up to carry on silly conversations with Alice, and then he slowly disappears, leaving behind only his mischievous grin!

What is the meaning of 'now-famous'?

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 345 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 09:55 am
Before the writing of Alice in Wonderland, there was no concept of the "cheshire cat". It was through the writing of the book that the term became a part of the English language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheshire_Cat

The term, "now-famous" would indicate something that was not generally known, but now is because of something; a book, a news report, a movie, etc.

I know that is not a great answer, but it is the best way that I can explain it.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 10:11 am
Hi Phoenix

I believe your answer is correct. The Cheshire Cat was not known, but has become famous because of 'Alice in Wonderland'.

Many thanks also for the link.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 10:25 am
In fact, there is a saying, "smiling like a cheshire cat".

http://www.bartleby.com/59/6/cheshirecat.html

The reference is to the cat in Alice in Wonderland. Most native English speaking people know the meaning of that phrase, even if they had never read the book.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 10:43 am
Many thanks, Phoenix.
0 Replies