A bowling alley

J-B

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 07:18 am
Somewhere A2Ker Lightwizard says:

Quote:
It's a good film without trying to be anything more than it is, in the mold of Indiana Jones with some Da Vinci Code like elements thrown in. Actually, the production design is superior to Da Vince Code, which barely established any more atmosphere than a night out at the bowling alley. "National Treasure" is the only quality film Nicholas Cage has been involved in for years.

What is a night out at the bowling alley?

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 591 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 07:26 am
I suppose that depends on the people who do it .... and where :wink:

In Germany (and doing the traditional 9-pin bowling) that's usually a bit of sport, a lot of entertainment ... and quite a couple of drinks.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 08:04 am
I cannot, of course, speak for Lightwizard. A night out at the bowling alley, however, when alluded to in reference to "atmosphere," suggests that the film he criticizes is shallow. In other words, he is saying that The Da Vinci Code didn't establish any atmosphere, that it was a meaningless exercise in predictable scenes and images, which did not hang together well.

As Walter points out, bowling is about unthinking entertainment with friends, and drinking heavily. There's nothing wrong with that, but it certainly does not imply great art.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 06:23 pm
Thanks for the cultural context you've provided Very Happy
0 Replies