Are sentences correct?

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 11:16 am
1) If you are facing trouble, call me.

2. If you find yourself facing any trouble, call me.

3) If you were ever facing trouble, you should just call me.

Are the sentences correct and what is the difference in their meanings?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,136 • Replies: 27
No top replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 11:51 am
In the first two sentences we would probably replace facing with in, but they are OK. They mean the same thing.

The third is wrong because you are using past tense were -- something already happened.

If you want present tense replace were with are.

If you do want past tense If you were in trouble, you should have called me.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:02 pm
Isn't the third sentence hypothetical, not past tense?

Thanks.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:10 pm
I would still use the are. It would still be theoretical. You're way doesn't read correctly to me. I am reading it as incorrect tense. Sorry.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:12 pm
YL, you are correct, the third sentence does require the subjunctive, so "were" is correct, not "are."

TCR, if you can't actually give the correct response--and you have made a mess of this question--then you shouldn't answer questions such as this.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:14 pm
I was just about to post about the subjunctive. As I understand current english usage we would generally use auxillary verbs. But I'll bow to your superior knowledge.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:16 pm
TheCorrectResponse wrote:
I would still use the are. It would still be theoretical. You're way doesn't read correctly to me. I am reading it as incorrect tense. Sorry.

What do you mean by 'theoretical'? I've heard of hypothetical. 'You're way' - what do you mean?
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:17 pm
Setanta wrote:
YL, you are correct, the third sentence does require the subjunctive, so "were" is correct, not "are."

Thanks, Setanta.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:18 pm
I meant hypothetical...didn't mean to mess you up.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:18 pm
Yoong Liat, i advise you to pay no attention to what TCR has written. He/she obviously doesn't know enough about English grammar to answer your questions in a trustworthy manner.

Using "you're" rather than "your" is simply a symptom of this.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:19 pm
Yes I am a terrible person. Or I type too fast either one.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:25 pm
Just to show you I wasn't trying to mislead you I actually looked something up on the web, which I rearly do and found this.

Quote:
Sujunctive the forms. If she were coming, she would be here by now. I insist that the chairman resign! Their main demand was that the lawsuit be dropped. These sentences all contain verbs in the subjunctive mood, which is used chiefly to express the speaker's attitude about the likelihood or factuality of a given situation. If the verbs were in the indicative mood, we would expect she was coming in the first sentence, the chairman resigns in the second, and the lawsuit is dropped in the third. 1
English has had a subjunctive mood since Old English times, but most of the functions of the old subjunctive have been taken over by auxiliary verbs like may and should, and the subjunctive survives only in very limited situations. It has a present and past form.
0 Replies

Setanta

I've not said that you are a terrible person. However, YL, like a great many others, comes here for accurate information on the English language, and often--once again, this is true of YL--comes prepared with more technical knowledge of English grammar than many people who post here casually--in which group i would place you.

If you don't know the correct response to an English language question, you should not attempt to simply supply what "sounds" right to you. I've been taken to task myself for providing incorrect answers, and have grown more careful. There are many such questions which i do not answer. I have, however, had experience in teaching English as a second language, and a good foundation in both English and French grammar.

Once again, i advise you not to answer questions unless you are certain of the correct response.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Your comment on the post directly above yours?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:32 pm
Now you're just winging it to attempt to cover your ass. The "auxiliary verb" you attempted to suggest was "to have," and inserted in that sentence as you suggested would have changed the tense of the verb from the present subjunctive and conditional to an example of the past tense. You clearly did not understand the question, and you clearly failed to recognize the use of the subjunctive in the third sentence.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:35 pm
Re: Are sentences correct?
Yoong Liat wrote:
1) If you are facing trouble, call me.

2. If you find yourself facing any trouble, call me.

3) If you were ever facing trouble, you should just call me.

Are the sentences correct and what is the difference in their meanings?

All three sentences are correct. Ignore TCR's comment about the use of "facing trouble," which is acceptable, and a commonly used idiom in English.

The first two sentences differ only in that sentence two is more elaborate than sentence one, but still says the same thing. To that extent, sentence one might be preferable to sentence two.

As already noted, sentence three involves a hypothetical case, and therefore uses the present subjunctive and the present conditional--and you were correct that "were" is the correct verb form to use.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:36 pm
I wasn't attempting to wing anything I was asking a question, because of the way I understood it. I have NO PROBLEM admitting when I'm wrong, which is why I was asking for a clarification from an English teacher. If you are just a nasty #ss we can just avoid each other because I can give as good as Iget!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:38 pm
I'll tell you what, TCR--when you've grown up, come back and talk to me. Have the decency not to clutter up YL's thread with your sand box quarrel.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 01:45 pm
set, I don't understand why "were" and not "are" is correct in the third sentence. Please unconfuse me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 03:19 pm
Because the sentence calls for the present subjunctive.

If i were King, you'd all have to take remedial English.

As Yoong Liat points out, the sentence posits a hypothetical circumstance, just as is the case in the sentence which i've written above. Whereas almost all forms of the subjunctive have now fall into desuetude, i had been taught (as recently as a little over 25 years ago, at least, when i was studying French grammar, and English grammar in order to understand both better, and serving as a volunteer ESL tutor for Cubans from the Mariel boat lift) that the subjunctive of "to be" is still to be used.

If the sentence were in the past tense, adding "have" would make sense. However, the sentence is perfectly understandable as written, as a case of using the present subjunctive and the present conditional.

If you want to fight about that Raboida, this little doggy ain't askeert of no kitty cat . . .
0 Replies