Have the world by short hairs

J-B

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 11:46 pm
Quote:
And how would a fiasco similar to the one in Iraq, get us oil. On the contrary it will make the situation worse. As long as oil is the commodity that greases the wheels of progress. OPEC will have the world by the short hairs

What does the last sentence mean?

Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,231 • Replies: 17
No top replies

McTag

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 11:49 pm
OPEC will have the whole world in its power, will be in command of everything.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:04 am
But how did it come to mean this?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:11 am
I may be wrong, but I think it refers to pubic hair.
If someone has a firm grip of your pubic hair, they have your complete attention.
Smile
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:17 am
huh...That's a bold guess!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 12:31 am
A variation on this phrase is "to have someone by the short and curlies".

I'd say it was more than a guess.

Smile
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 02:33 am
I can completely understand that doing such is a painful hold ...
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 10:13 am
en... not only painful...
0 Replies

Truthyness

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 08:26 am
McTag wrote:
I may be wrong, but I think it refers to pubic hair.
If someone has a firm grip of your pubic hair, they have your complete attention.
Smile

That sounds absolutely right to me. The expression's a bit saucy on reflection but it has fallen into the vernacular (of a somewhat permissive society some might say?) now. That the term is pretty graphic, is something everyone will agree.

On second thoughts though, perhaps "permissive age" has nothing to do with it. A great 17th century poet Andrew Marvell wrote in his legendary love poem "To his coy mistress":

"then worms shall try
That long preserv'd virginity,
And your quaint honour turn to dust,
And into ashes all my lust."

The word "quaint" meant something quite different from today!!! It referred to the female reproductive organ!

Saucy language has a probably been around since for ever.

To learn more listen to:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/adventuresinpoetry/pip/ub64h/

It would be interesting to trace when "to have someone by the short & curlies" first came into use.

A propos, I'm new here and have posted my first question in another thread. I'm uncertain about the expression "to set stock by something" is it "by" or "on" I wonder...

Meantime,
Cheers from a Stephen Colbert fan (now there's a man who has a supreme command of the English language)
0 Replies

Aa

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 12:20 pm
Colbert spells the word "truthiness". I notice that you spell it differently. My guess is that you have a rationale for that. Do tell - curious minds want to kknow.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 01:14 pm
Nigel Rees (who often broadcasts on the BBC) has written a book covering questions such as these, called "A Word In Your Shell-Like".

Which is on my shelf, and I have now consulted.

He disagrees with me, says that the phrase probably has nothing to do with pubic hair but more likely referred originally to the short hair on the back of the neck. The phrase was first used in about:

a) to have someone by the short and curlies- 1935

b) to have someone by the short hairs- 1905

I can say, in my own opinion, that whenever "short and curlies" is used then 95% of people hereabouts would assume the pubic hair interpretation.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 02:40 pm
McTag--

I agree. "By the short hair" could conceivably be "by the scruff of the neck", but "by the short and curlies" strongly suggests pubic hair.

All "folk" etomologies are suspect--particularly mine--but I'm guessing that the Edwardian "by the short hair" evolved to the pre-war naughtiness of "by the short and curlies".
0 Replies

Truthyness

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 06:55 pm
Aa wrote:
Colbert spells the word "truthiness". I notice that you spell it differently. My guess is that you have a rationale for that. Do tell - curious minds want to kknow.

Everyone else everywhere in the world in every forum you can think of got there before me so when I tried logging in with the name I was constantly bumped off with the "login taken" message. In the end I settled for "y".

But while we are toying with pedantries, check out the Colboards and see whether it is "y" or "i". It appears that the jury is still out on the subject.
0 Replies

Truthyness

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 04:06 pm
McTag wrote:
Nigel Rees (who often broadcasts on the BBC) has written a book covering questions such as these, called "A Word In Your Shell-Like".

Which is on my shelf, and I have now consulted.

He disagrees with me, says that the phrase probably has nothing to do with pubic hair but more likely referred originally to the short hair on the back of the neck. The phrase was first used in about:

a) to have someone by the short and curlies- 1935

b) to have someone by the short hairs- 1905

Enlightening McTag, Rees is good on language, though a bit of bore on radio, on account of his priggishnes and total inability at pulling off jokes.

The idea of a journalist stooping to pubic metaphors in the context of OPEC startles. It might risk sparking a Cartoons stand off all over again and we wouldn't want that! Twisted Evil Resorting to "by the short hairs" could have been a case of tactful editing, a compromise achieved thanks to a bit of culture, the result of which was that no sensitivities were unduly awakened.

I confess the expression is new to me, it's ambiguous too to so there's mileage in there.

Thanks a lot.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 24 Oct, 2007 04:55 pm
Ha! Interesting thread.
0 Replies

bugoy11

Reply Tue 20 Nov, 2007 06:42 pm
J-nB wrote:
But how did it come to mean this?
Arrow :wink:
0 Replies

syntinen

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 04:59 pm
Quote:
A great 17th century poet Andrew Marvell wrote in his legendary love poem "To his coy mistress":

"then worms shall try

The word "quaint" meant something quite different from today!!! It referred to the female reproductive organ!

I just don't believe that. Yes, the word was pronounced "(and spelt) "queynte" in Chaucer's day, but not in the 17th. I think your broadcaster just made that up.
0 Replies

syntinen

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2007 04:59 pm
Quote:
A great 17th century poet Andrew Marvell wrote in his legendary love poem "To his coy mistress":

"then worms shall try

I just don't believe that. Yes, the word for the female reproductive organ was pronounced "(and spelt) "queynte" in Chaucer's day, but not in the 17th. I think your broadcaster just made that up.
0 Replies