Pregnancy and backache

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 01:50 pm
Hello everyone;
My sister is pregnant in her 23rd week, a few days ago she was bending on the floor and suddenly she felt a painful backache which is still on until now. She feels it while she's sitting or walking or sleeping..it's a muscle kind of pain and even when we do her some massage it only makes a difference for a few minutes but then the pain comes back again .. ..

What's a good advice for treatment? what kind of medicine/cream/massage should she take at best?
I'm looking for your kind advice and if possible, links/websites/references regarding that problem
Im very thankful, and so is she too Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,226 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 01:59 pm
Vonderjohn--

Surely your sister is seeing an OB/GYN. These days (at least in the states) Baby Doctors have at least one extra nurse on staff just to answer questions like this.

Your sister should not take medicine in any form--orally, rectally, in ointment or inhaled without consulting with her OB/GYN.

Massage will probably do no harm--but I do not have a medical degree and my opinion is worthless.

In my opinion a pulled muscle complicated by the growing weight of your niece or nephew should be dealt with professionally, not over the internet.

Good luck. These next three months will be some of the longest your sister has ever lived--and the results will be worth the physical indignities.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 02:12 pm
Pregnancy really limits what she can do for persistant back pain without talking to her Dr., so please don't pass any of my info to her, without telling her to ask her doc about it first.

I have chronic back trubble. I can move wrong, feel a twinge and know I will be having serious back pain for the next three or four days.

I use to eat Darvon and etodolac like candy. Muscle relaxers populated my medicine cabinet. I have had to go to the emergency room three times due to severe and unrelenting back pains.

Now, I use Icy Hot. (The severity and frequency of the pain has reduced significantly since I left my job. I think stress really aggravates muscle spasms.)

Proper exercise of a muscle reduces the probability that an odd move will unduly tense a muscle and bring on a swelling or spasm in the muscle. When she gets over this spasm, suggest that she performs some doctor- recommended exercise of her back muscles to ward off future spasms.

Lack of proper hydration is a big culprit in muscle spasms. Being preggo, she probably needs more water than pre-pregnancy. She should drink water all day every day.

Icy Hot and other topical chemicals find their way to the baby. Get her to ask her doc about it. It has helped me, but I use it in conjunction with a muscle relaxer. I am sort of a purist when it comes to using drugs (even prescription) when pregnant. I think sometimes, even with a doc's OK, it isn't a good idea. That's up to your sister and her doc.

Relaxation is key, also. If she can find a way to really relax her body on a regular basis--she may lessen her back pain episodes.

Best wishes to her and the baby. :wink:
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 03:17 am
Thanks for your advice here and im sorry for the pain you're feeling... I guess besides medical knowledge, experience also matters when it comes to treating pain.
For sure we'll be talking to a doctor before taking any note into consideration.. but it's nice to discuss such matters with experienced and caring people. So thanks once again Smile
0 Replies