The New Gore Groundswell

Brand X

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 02:38 pm
sozobe wrote:
Hmm. OK. I still don't see a huge difference between now and a couple of weeks from now, but thanks for explaining.

"Perception of a groundswell" -- so something IS happening? So far all I have to go on is the full-page ad in the NYT and this thread. (Brand X, what prompted you to start it?)

Well...every time he does something like Live Earth...the MSM has several reports on all this 'will he announce?' speculation which of course is generated on blogs etc., hence the latest like speculation coming about from this Nobel nomination.

There are a lot of pockets of voters who would drop everything to vote for him. Everybody appears to be great when they're not running, Fred Thompson comes to mind.....same thing would happen to Al....once he began campaigning he'd be just another bore.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 02:39 pm
Butrflynet wrote:

Butrflynet
I kinda figured this might be a newsmax type of item. I don't think one could accurately describe Smith as an Washington insider or a Clinton insider. Her last book appears to be "Diana in Search of Herself: Portrait of a Troubled Princess". She looks rather more a celebrity gossip type.

And note, if you will, how this forwards certain notions quite consistent with the smear campaigns from the right.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 02:42 pm
Could Nobel Prize Spur Gore To Run In '08?
Grassroots Groups Urging Former Vice President To Enter Presidential Race

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/10/politics/main3355237.shtml?source=mostpop_story
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 02:43 pm
Yeah, that article was kind of eek (the Hillary/Gore one). Didn't seem very shall we say objective.

Ah, the Nobel Peace prize chatter, that makes sense.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 02:48 pm
Brand X wrote:
Could Nobel Prize Spur Gore To Run In '08?
Grassroots Groups Urging Former Vice President To Enter Presidential Race

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/10/politics/main3355237.shtml?source=mostpop_story

Not to put too fine a point this but I think a more accurate description would be something like a surge of hope (re Nobel possibility) within that crowd who have been pushing all along for Gore to run.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 02:50 pm
Sounds really familiar doesn't it? Check out item number 3 in this July 1999 set of articles to refresh memories...

http://www.mediaresearch.org/magwatch/99/mag19990707.asp
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 06:32 pm
Keith Oberman did a fair sized piece on Gore tonight and the prospects of him running.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 03:26 am
By the way...

Gore won the Nobel Peace prize.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 05:05 am
Yep! Came here to say so.

Wow.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 05:19 am
Wow. Just read it.

I guess this is the final evidence for the UN plans to take over the world.

:wink:
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 06:05 am
I sometimes think Gore was a lucky man to lose the presidency, it has been a disaster for the US, but good for him personally. I think history will remember him with great respect while Bush goes down as the most corrupt jackass to ever sit in the oval office.
0 Replies

anton

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 05:57 am
If Gore had won the Presidency the US would not be involved in a phoney war, the government would not have usurped American Justice, torture would still be seen as a barbaric practice, an estimated six hundred thousand innocent Iraqis would not have been killed to say nothing of those young American men and women who answered their countries callÂ… Finally America would still have the respect of the world.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 13 Oct, 2007 10:38 am
OP-ED COLUMNIST
The Trivial Pursuit
By BOB HERBERT
Al Gore may be remarkably well-equipped to lead the nation,
but it's George W. who is president.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/13/opinion/13herbert.html?th&emc=th
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 08:59 am
Quote:
GALLUP: Despite Nobel Prize, No 'Groundswell' for Gore for President

By E&P Staff

Published: October 12, 2007 3:20 PM ET

NEW YORK The Gallup Poll organization released a report today revealing that despite Al Gore's latest honor -- the Nobel Peace Prize for his global warming battle -- its polls have detected no "groundswell" for a Gore race for the White House in 2008.
http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003658033
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 09:07 am
Yup, it's pretty much been the consensus of all the pundit discussion that his entry wouldn't be prudent at this time even with the pockets of strong support.
0 Replies