The New Gore Groundswell

Brand X

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 06:25 am
Will he won't he? Should he run?

His name gets mentioned more often lately, especially with the prospects of him, gulp, winning the Nobel Peace Prize.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,405 • Replies: 34
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 06:34 am
I haven't seen much of a groundswell -- there was a full-page ad in the NYT yesterday, but I haven't seen much else. (Not that I would've, necessarily, but often when some political trend is reported it makes sense to me and I've seen some sort of indications of it.)

I dunno. He's got some things going for him, but a lot against him too, and by now it's pretty cripplingly late in the race.

I wonder if he'd get more support from people who currently like Hillary or Obama? I'd tend to think Hillary, but dunno. If so, that could be interesting; if he joined the race, took a swath of Hillary's supporters, and helped Obama won the nomination.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 06:38 am
hahaha..I love your Obama angles. Oh, the undying love. :wink:

You're a peach, soz dear.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 06:39 am
Hey, a gal can hope!

I dunno if it's going to happen, but yeah, that's where my mind tends to go (will this hurt or help Obama? hmmm....)
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 06:43 am
give it up soz... your boy doesn't have what it takes...I love ya honey but you're living in a drream world...

As for Gore... that train left the station a long time ago....more's the pity... we'd be in a lot better shape today if he'd have been given the position he won fair and square...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 08:44 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
if he'd have been given the position he won fair and square...

A self-sustaining lie. It's been shown time and again if a full recount was done (as done by non-partisan research groups) Bush actually won Florida. Why do you guys keep telling lies?
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 09:10 am
i've never seen that. it's the first i've heard of it.

here's a list of people i'd rather see in office than al gore:

feingold
obama
clinton (hillary)
clinton (bill)
nader
rogers (dec.)
bert
ernie
osbourne (pick one)
carrot top
hussein (dec.)
reagan (either)

i'd like to see him deported, if possible. and his goosestepping wife is such a charmer, these are the kinds of people that emmigrate to paris because it's better than a tribunal.

i guess i don't like him very much. don't get me wrong, for a million dollars (a more worthless sum every day these days,) i wouldn't vote for a republican, and thanks to diebold i won't have to. but liberal sellouts are really starting to push the threshold of my tolerance, and gore seems to be the supreme leader of so-called-liberal sellouts. i would like to see a real liberal, whatever that is, in the oval office. gore's just standing in the way.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 10:04 am
McGentrix wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

A self-sustaining lie. It's been shown time and again if a full recount was done (as done by non-partisan research groups) Bush actually won Florida. Why do you guys keep telling lies?[/quote

why do you keep fellating bushco?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 10:48 am
I'm not sure from where you have the notion that there is a contemporary groundswell for Gore. Nothing like that shows up in my reading, which is fairly broad.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 12:37 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

A self-sustaining lie. It's been shown time and again if a full recount was done (as done by non-partisan research groups) Bush actually won Florida. Why do you guys keep telling lies?[/quote

why do you keep fellating bushco?[/quote]

Give it up Bear.

Every vote was counted and Bush won 5 to 4.

That is a clear majority.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 12:46 pm
I am personally praying for Gore to enter the race.

There is quite a bit of discussion about this possibility in some circles I run around in.

I have never been a big Hillary fan... but any Democrat is better than any Republican. I would be pretty happy with either Obama or Edwards... but Gore would be a great candidate and a great president.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 12:50 pm
You've felt that way for a while, though, ebrown, right?

I definitely know people who wish Gore would run, but most of 'em have been saying so for quite some time. Have you seen a "new Gore groundswell"?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 01:36 pm
Depends how you describe groundswell. I have certainly seen an increase in the discussion of whether Gore will run or not, and I have seen an increase in expressions of hope-- at least among people I talk (or type) with.

The support for a Gore campaign is probably consistent and the increase may be the realization that if he is going to run... it is going to be right now.

If much more than a couple of weeks pass without an announcement, we all know that it won't happen.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 01:41 pm
Yeah, that makes sense.

Why a couple of weeks, though?

I mean, it's late, period... why is a couple of weeks too late but now isn't?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 01:52 pm
There's a new book out by a so called Washington insider (Sally something or other) spilling the beans about a huge rift between Hillary and Gore during the Clinton years that continues today. Supposedly it was over Hillary usurping Gore's role and responsibilities as VP too many times for it not to be intentional. The rift is also about Hillary's senate campaign sucking the dollars from Gore's presidential campaign.

Promoters are implying that the rift is still so heated that there is a possibility, should it look like Hillary will win the nomination, that Gore will have the last laugh and jump into the race at the last minute to steal her thunder.

Me thinks it really is just more fodder for the "Hillary has presidential experience because she was First Lady campaign."
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 02:04 pm
sozobe wrote:
Yeah, that makes sense.

Why a couple of weeks, though?

I mean, it's late, period... why is a couple of weeks too late but now isn't?

1. The primaries start in a couple of months (mid January). Gore will want to have time to set up ground operations to compete in Iowa and the other early primaries.

2. There is the perception of a groundswell right now. If he comes in now, the story will be that he reacted to the groundswell of support and is the "drafted" candidate. This is a great back story that will play well in the press.

3. If he misses much more as the campaign heats up-- meaning he doesn't have to face the nation in debates or answer on issues as a candidate, he will start to be seen as having an unfair advantage. If he enters now (just as the campaigns are starting to get attention) this won't matter-- but much later and people will resent it.

4. He has the maximum amount of core support (from people like me) right now. If he waits... we will start to find other candidates to commit to.

This is a great time for him to enter the race.

Much later... and the disadvantages start to mount.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 02:07 pm
Found a link to the article and speculation.

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/hillary_gore/2007/10/10/39785.html?s=al&promo_code=3B3F-1
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 02:08 pm
Hmm. OK. I still don't see a huge difference between now and a couple of weeks from now, but thanks for explaining.

"Perception of a groundswell" -- so something IS happening? So far all I have to go on is the full-page ad in the NYT and this thread. (Brand X, what prompted you to start it?)
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 02:16 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

why do you keep fellating bushco?[/quote]

Give it up Bear.

Every vote was counted and Bush won 5 to 4.

you got me there....

That is a clear majority.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 02:17 pm
He probably read Drudge's speculative headline about Gore cancelling lunch with Pelosi today at the last minute to fly overseas for "something related to his global warming" work and decided to find out if Gore + Nobel Prize = Presidential campaign
0 Replies