Jon Stewart Interviews Lynn Cheney

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 02:01 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
That may be true, but she's also come out explicitly against a marriage amendment. So has Cheney.

No, they haven't.

Yes, they have. It might not be enough for you, but they have.

No, they haven't, no more then Republicans who claim they are against the Iraq war but then vote to continue it.

I don't care about their words, I care about their actions - and neither should you.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 02:17 pm
Well, in their case I think their words mean something -- especially since they are part of an administration that so tightly controls their message. As for what they've done, I don't know, but I'm not making any claims. I am saying (again) that they have both said publicly and explicitly that there should not be a marriage amendment and that it goes counter to our notion of freedom. In fact, Lynn said it right in that very clip. So if that's not enough for you, more power to you, but that doesn't mean they haven't come out against it, because they have.

What actions have they taken that contradict what they say? Or are they just guilty by association with the Republican party? And what a slippery slope that is.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 02:21 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Well, in their case I think their words mean something -- especially since they are part of an administration that so tightly controls their message. As for what they've done, I don't know, but I'm not making any claims. I am saying (again) that they have both said publicly and explicitly that there should not be a marriage amendment and that it goes counter to our notion of freedom. In fact, Lynn said it right in that very clip. So if that's not enough for you, more power to you, but that doesn't mean they haven't come out against it, because they have.

What actions have they taken that contradict what they say? Or are they just guilty by association with the Republican party? And what a slippery slope that is.

Perhaps you think it's a slippery slope, but it isn't.

I'm sorry but I believe that if you say you're against something, and then support with all your might people who aren't against it, then you are lying. You aren't really against it. Maybe, in principle you disagree with the topic in question - but not enough to actually do anything about it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 02:29 pm
Really? What candidate did you support in the last election? Was he for anything that you're against? Was he against anything that you were for? Did you support him anyway?

Like I said, saying it isn't enough for you, but that doesn't mean they didn't say it.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 02:42 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Really? What candidate did you support in the last election? Was he for anything that you're against? Was he against anything that you were for? Did you support him anyway?

Like I said, saying it isn't enough for you, but that doesn't mean they didn't say it.

I understand what you are saying; but I'm so inured to politicians 'saying' they are against something, and then voting for that something or supporting others who do, that I simply don't believe any of 'em anymore.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 02:43 pm
I understand that too.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 10:14 am
Cheney's book sales are largely due to being Dick's wife. Thus, she should not be shielded from questions on Dick.

I do think that guests should be treated with a modicum of respect, but there should not be love feasts. For instance, Matthews's interviews with DeLay and Coulter were sickening love feasts, earning my enduring disdain for Matthews. I wish that NBC would replace him with Dave Gregory.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 11:49 pm
Lynn Cheney is a capable and intelligent woman. To suggest otherwise would just be ridiculous. She went on the show with a very good idea of what she might expect. I doubt she left the show crying in her hanky, and it says something about her that she didn't duck his show.

If the people that appear on Stewart's show are truly his guests, then he is consistently rude to them, but of course they are not.

Stewart likes to think of himself as someone who won't pull punches, and he doesn't with guests with which he disagrees or personally dislikes. That sometimes these people are to the left of center doesn't make him objective, just less constrained in his subjectiveness.

It really doesn't matter. It's not as if he is ambushing anyone, and people tune his show in because they enjoy the way he interacts with his guests. If one is offended by his rudeness, one need not watch his show.
0 Replies