Jon Stewart Interviews Lynn Cheney

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 05:08 am
Stewart interviewed Lynn Cheney last night on the Daily Show. I actually felt bad for her with a couple of the things he said. At one point he acknowledged that she isn't the vice and he shouldn't be hounding her about her husband, but then he continued. She recounted a story about how they had signed each others year books, and Dick had said something like "Some girls are pretty but dumb. Some girls are smart but ugly. You have a rare combination of smart and pretty." (not exact quote, but that's the idea.) Stewart laughed. Lynn said one of the girls had recounted that story at their anniversary party and it brought the house down. Stewart said "I bet it did."

Shocked

Two Part Interview half way down on page in box with slider.

She was on to promote her book, which he rarely showed. He usually holds up the book for the camera at the end of the interview and he did not do that for her. There was little applause by the audience.

I'm no Cheney fan, but she should have been treated with more respect.
If he wasn't going to do so, he shouldn't have invited her. Then again, the other side of my brain says he shouldn't pussy foot around and be hypocritical or give her respect just because of her title as wife of the vice.

Thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,619 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 05:46 am
I'll give her credit for actually appearing on a show that is clearly disgusted by the actions of the administration she is a part of. However, I don't think Stewart was terribly rude or abusive. He was cold, but it would have been hypocritcal of him to give her a big charming smile and a hug. He could have flashed the book more in fairness, but it's a minor slight. If this was Bill O'Reilly interviewing Mrs. Gore, it would have become a mud wrestling event resulting in bloody noses and hair pulling. If Mrs. Cheney expected a warm, hearty round of applause I think she needs a reality check. I doubt Mr. Stewart's audience is going to spend a dime on her book. I know I won't.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 06:01 am
I do believe that somewhere in the celler of A2K there are postings on Mrs C's first book.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 08:05 am
He usually treats his guests with more respect than that -- even, and maybe especially, the controversial ones. I'll read and see.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 08:29 am
Ok, I didn't think it was that bad. The audience wasn't very warm to her, true, but he doesn't have much control over that and he did seem to try to steer the conversation in a lighter direction.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 09:35 am
you know adolf, a lot of people are upset about this war...
i'd like to know why stewart has to treat all his guests with respect in the first place.

it's admirable if he does, i just wonder what standard this is based on. lots of people go on shows to be ripped to pieces. and you know what they say about bad publicity.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 09:48 am
Re: you know adolf, a lot of people are upset about this war
tinygiraffe wrote:
i'd like to know why stewart has to treat all his guests with respect in the first place.

it's admirable if he does, i just wonder what standard this is based on. lots of people go on shows to be ripped to pieces. and you know what they say about bad publicity.

Stewart once answered this himself. Someone asked him what he would do if George Bush agreed to be on his show and he basically said he would welcome him with the respect he feels for the office the man holds, not for the man himself. (from memory so it's not an exact quote)

I think most of Stewart's audience is repelled by the nasty (humorless) language they hear coming from people like Savage and Coulter, thus he tries not lower himself to such pathetic tactics.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 10:05 am
i forget which office lynn cheney holds, maybe this threw off stewart as well.

i don't think respect equals warmth, of course, but you make a good point anyway.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 10:17 am
I know it's wrong but I hate Dick Cheney so virulently that I cannot sympathize with his family members. Childish? Yes, I cop to that.

PS Big brother... that doesn't mean I would ever wish him harm or advocate or approve of anything untoward........ then I'd be just like him. So no black helicopters or midnight visits please.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 10:19 am
I don't think it's childish. He's a horrible man who advocates horrible things. And she supports him doing so; she's as bad as he is.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 10:23 am
Re: you know adolf, a lot of people are upset about this war
tinygiraffe wrote:

It's his standard, basically. He chooses to respect his guests, which makes his audience respect him. In general, it's polite to treat your guests with respect. This is something he's known for. It doesn't mean he doesn't argue with them or get in little jokes here and there.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 10:37 am
Exactly, Freeduck.

I haven't been able to listen to the online version, but in two parts, I imagine it is the whole thing. I was just really uncomfortable for both of them after the "Brought the house down." "I bet" part since that made it sound like Jon was saying she was ugly, dumb or both.

I posted this because I wasn't sure how to react. I wouldn't invite someone to my home and then be rude to them. If I don't care for them, I don't invite them. I know Jon's position is different given it's his show, not his home, but still... At one point he said to tell Mr. Cheney that if he ever wants to be on the show to... oh, no, never mind. He didn't have a problem starting to invite and then changing his mind with Dick.

Then again, I see the other side what with her supporting Dick and not really being seen as a great person due to that.

Guess I'm still dealing with the "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" tag line I used to have with my Thumper avatar.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 10:47 am
The "I bet" part was tricky. I'm not sure how to interpret it. I guess I took cues from her -- she was still laughing. But I realize that could be just her smart reaction knowing where she was.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 10:49 am
I don't think there's anything wrong at all with treating your guests in the fashion which you believe is appropriate. What's the point of having your own show if you have to fake the way you feel about people?

Did you see Chris Matthews on Stewart the other day? Jon called Matthew's book a 'recipie for sadness.' The look on Chris's face was priceless!

Stewart - keeping it real.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 10:50 am
hate to see stewart and matthews get into it... I like them both so well...
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 11:23 am
Lynn Cheney is a self-righteous old bitch and deserves anything she gets. Her fake indignation over the remarks made about Mary Cheney was appalling.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 01:43 pm
That may be true, but she's also come out explicitly against a marriage amendment. So has Cheney.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 01:49 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
That may be true, but she's also come out explicitly against a marriage amendment. So has Cheney.

No, they haven't. When pressed on it, they say they are against it. But they do everything they possibly can to support people who are for it. That's the definition of 'being against something in name only.'

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 01:57 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:

No, they haven't.

Yes, they have. It might not be enough for you, but they have.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 02:00 pm
What about the President of Columbia University and the President of Iran?
0 Replies