'Europe's oldest city' is found

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 10:05 am
'Europe's oldest city' is found
By Elizabeth Nash in Madrid
Published: 09 October 2007
Independent UK

Archaeologists in Spain's southern port of Cadiz believe they have found remains which prove that it is Europe's oldest inhabited city - Phoenician Gadir, or Gades in Roman times.

Remnants of walls have emerged seven metres deep in a dig beneath Cadiz's old town centre which have been dated to the 8th century BC. Scientists found shards of Phoenician pottery, and pieces of jars, bowls and plates once used in everyday life which all point towards the existence of a town. A well-preserved bronze brooch has also appeared, suggesting a high level of civilisation. Previous finds, including funeral relics, did not provide conclusive evidence of urban settlement.

"We need to excavate further to see where these walls go," said the director of the dig, Juan Miguel Pajuelo. "The existence of items of daily use suggests the walls were of houses."

Historians have long known that Cadiz was founded by Phoenician traders more than 3,000 years ago as their first settlement in Europe.

Mariners from Tyre in today's Lebanon established Gadir as a transit point for minerals brought from the Rio Tinto mines further north. The Romans later developed Gades as a naval base, and the poet Martial praised the city's dancing girls.

But until now, no one has established exactly where Gadir (meaning "the fortress") was. Scientists in the 1970s uncovered traces of a Phoenician settlement near Santa Maria del Puerto, to the north on the Guadalete river, but not quite the remains of a town. More recently, archaeologists in Chiclana, 16 miles south-east, found remains of Phoenician walls and traces of a temple.

Scientists from the three sites lay rival claims to Gadir. But Jose Maria Gener, who began the dig in the town centre 12 years ago, is sure it is the most likely location. "In Chiclana," he said, "they still have to establish if their findings are Phoenician or an earlier indigenous settlement."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 814 • Replies: 5
No top replies

EmilyGreen

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 01:55 pm
It seems as though a lot of things like this are being found under the ground in Europe. Makes you think an entire continent of dirt was dumped over Europe at some point.

Fascinating!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 01:59 pm
I remember when I studied some about Rome years ago, that there was something like a twelve foot soil/garbage cover. Not that you should trust me on that.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 03:59 pm
Most archeology is submerged under earth. All high lands are eroding into the lowlands. Volcanoes erupt blanketing things, water envelops a site and silt precipitates out. So, unless you have artifacts on a mountain top, it's going to get underground. Just happens.

This is a fascinating story, indeed.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 06:05 pm
I know that it all hinges on the definition of "city", but I believe that some Greek centres were cities about the same time. Greece is in Europe, no? Athens, for example, claims a 3000 year history.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 06:09 pm
And on Rome, wherever I read that, probably Richard Saul Wurman's old and wonderful Rome Access Guide as opposed to anything more esoteric (though maybe, I've read a lot of damn books about italy), the 12 foot thing was in the old rome neighborhood, perhaps re pz. Navona.

Of course I could look this all up, not in the mood today. Let's say it's natural re the earth's processes, and natural when humans toss garbage and the Tiber floods, over millennia.
0 Replies