Ron Paul's latest (revealing) missive

nimh

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 01:30 pm
Blogger Brendan Nyhan has posted a recent, handwritten fundraising letter that Ron Paul sent out to supporters:

http://www.brendan-nyhan.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/10/02/ronpaul.jpg

(Click the image for a scan of the letter.)

Fellow blogger Alexander Dietz has transcribed the full text of the letter, so it's a bit more easy to read.

Here's how it starts off...

Quote:
Dear Friend,

You and I have been through a lot together in the course of this short campaign. We've already fought some key battles, won some great victories, and weathered some rough storms. But the challenge ahead may be the toughest yet.

It is no secret that the elites and the political power-brokers do not want us to win this race. A victory on our part would ruin their plans. And they will do anything to keep that from happening.

I don't need to tell you that our American way of life is under attack. We see it all around us - every day - and it is up to us to save it.

The world's elites are busy forming a North American Union. If they are successful, as they were in forming the European Union, the good 'ol USA will be only a memory. We can't let that happen.

The UN also wants to confiscate our firearms and impose a global tax. The UN elites want to control the world's oceans with the Law of the Sea Treaty. And they want to use our military to police the world.

To further illustrate the subject at hand, Dietz also quotes from Ron Paul's website:

Quote:
NAFTA's superhighway is just one part of a plan to erase the borders between the U.S. and Mexico, called the North American Union. This spawn of powerful special interests, would create a single nation out of Canada, the U.S. and Mexico, with a new unelected bureaucracy and money system. Forget about controlling immigration under this scheme.

And a free America, with limited, constitutional government, would be gone forever.

Wow, where to even begin..? Any comments from local sympathisers with Ron Paul? Dyslexia?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 492 • Replies: 8
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 01:37 pm
I vote nutter.

I do respect some of what he has to say, and also respect that he's far more consistent than most politicians -- he'll follow a principle through to its logical conclusion, even if that conclusion is unpopular. But this stuff -- nutter.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 04:32 pm
He's got a serious audience/fan base among the southern (mainly) americans who are the heirs to the John Birch crowd. UN one world, jewish bankers...that whole package but now with some modern touches like 9/11 conspiracy and the Nafta highway. I ran into some of them down in Texas this summer and was treated to a "documentary" film laying out the evidence for it all. Popcorn was served.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 04:25 pm
But see, he comes out with stuff like this and I like him again. From today's debate:

Quote:
Mr. Matthews: Just to bring it up to date on this, the political context -- you know, Mayor, that Hillary Clinton has proposed -- she's co-sponsored legislation to do just this: require the president to come to Congress for any decision to go to attack a nuclear facility in Iran.

Mr. Giuliani: It really depends on exigency of the circumstances and how legitimate it is, that it really is an exigent circumstance. It's desirable, it's safer to go to Congress, get approval from Congress.

If you're really dealing with an exigent circumstance, then the president has to act in the best interests of the country.

And the point of -- I think it was Congressman Paul made before -- that we've never had an eminent attack, I don't know where he was on September 11th.

Mr. Paul: That was no country.

(APPLAUSE)

That was 19 thugs. That had nothing to do with a country.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 04:39 pm
nimh wrote:
Any comments from local sympathisers with Ron Paul? Dyslexia?

I'm not actually a sympathiser, I'd say I'm more of an empathiser. I could never vote for the man but I can appreciate his frankness and ernestness to which I find amazingly refreshing.

Bottom line for me is Kucinich (with whom I also have some disagreements (free trade-etc)) I am currently supporting Edwards as Kucinich will never be on the ballot in New Mexico. O'Bama would be my next in line and if it comes down to it I will support Hillary.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2007 10:01 am
ps... I sure as hell didn't want to suggest that Ron Paul says only nutto things. In the debate, for example, he was the only one to have either the insight or the courage to break away from the consensus that the Pres ought to ignore the congress and the constitution and the entire rationale of balanced powers.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 12:52 pm
Ron Paul's Jewish Problem

Quote:
[..] much to his Jewish supporters' chagrin, Congressman Paul's willingness to stand up to the neocons has also had the effect of making Paul a popular candidate among those from whom Presidential candidates would typically not desire support: Bona fide antisemites.

Indeed, Ron Paul has become the most popular candidate among right-wing extremists, including white separatists, neo-Nazis, and conspiracy theorists who believe that "the Zionists" were behind 9/11. This group includes Frank Weltner, creator of the antisemitic website JewWatch.com, who in a YouTube video, accuses the "Zionist-controlled media" of attacking Paul's candidacy. Paul has also received favorable coverage from the Vanguard News Network, a White Nationalist news organ, members of Stormfront, an online neo-Nazi community, as well as the National Alliance, the "mainstream" White Nationalist group featured prominently in Marc Levin's 2005 film Protocols of Zion.

Of course, Congressman Paul cannot be held accountable for the views of his extremist supporters, unless he publicly acquiesces to those views. Yet, when his extremist supporters begin providing a substantial amount of campaign funds, things get a bit dicier. And that's Paul's biggest problem.

According to the Lone Star Times, White Nationalists have become a noticeable source of financial contributions to the Paul campaign. Indeed, even Don Black, the founder of Stormfront, and one of the most notorious neo-Nazis in America, has personally contributed $500 to Paul's campaign.

Though it's true that Paul's campaign has no control over who sends them money in advance, once it becomes apparent that a neo-Nazi leader is sending money, any sensible politician who does not wish to be identified with neo-Nazism should send the money back. Not so for Ron Paul, however, whose campaign is still making up its mind as to whether or not to return Black's money.

Paul's spokesman Jesse Benton told the Lone Star Times:

At this time, I cannot say that we will be rejecting Mr. Black's contribution, but I will bring the matter to the attention of our campaign director again, and expect some sort of decision to be made in coming days.
Frankly, this is a no-brainer. Any other candidate would unequivocally reject that money as soon as its donor's identity was known. That Paul's campaign needs time to think about it is shocking.

Also of concern is the fact that Paul's campaign has ignored my repeated attempts to interview the Congressman for JTA, the Jewish newswire service by which I am employed. I had intended to write a story about the Congressman, and to provide him with the opportunity to distance himself from his extremist supporters, to clarify his position on Israel, and to state his case to the Jewish community. Yet, after three weeks of repeated telephone calls, two chats with his Deputy Communications Director, and several left voicemail messages, I have yet to receive a callback to schedule an interview.

Which leads me to conclude the following about the Congressman from Texas: Ron Paul will take money from Nazis. But he won't take telephone calls from Jews. [..]

Ron Paul Won't Reject Any Donations

Quote:
A few hours ago Ron Paul's campaign met reporters at the National Press Club to confirm that, yes, their candidate had shattered the record for one day of primary fundraising. Campaign manager Lew Moore and Jonathan Bydlak marshalled FEC data to prove that they'd beaten Mitt Romney's January take [..] and Hillary Clinton's numbers at the end of June [..].

I asked Bydlak about attention the campaign is getting from creepy white supremacists, and whether if they discovered donations from specious people they'd give them back. "If people who hold views that the candidate doesn't agree with, and they give to us, that's their loss," he said. What if the campaign keeps getting scrutiny as its coffers grow? "The scrutiny is a perfect sign of how this campaign is growing."
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 01:39 pm
Yeah, I was going to vote pandering, which I don't like. I feel the same respect for his frankness as dys and others, and I definitely think he livens up the Republican debates. Still, I don't like who he's pandering to.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 03:27 pm
If he gets to a point where he's relevant in the election...this kind of thing can certainly backfire on him.
0 Replies