The US, The UN and Iraq

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 12:03 pm
The big question, really, is who's going to blink first? c.i.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 12:18 pm
We should just all put on our tinted glasses....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 12:25 pm
And prolong the tension? Nahhhh, let's all agree to blink at the same time.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 05:09 pm
Lash Goth wrote:

Other article with similar story says 'Colin Powell turns hawkish'. This headline says he 'attacked'...
What do you make of the way Powell's remarks are being reported?
Per the last sentence, "He accepted Washington has not done enough to convince Americans and the international community the war was justified."... Do you think Powell would be pushing so hard for support, were he not holding information that would convince the world?

Do you think the world will ease the anti-American rhetoric when (if) this is disclosed?

I don't pay attention to slant and rant about slant when possible. I think Powell is being a loyal employee and is doing what he is told.

What hawks view as conclusive is habitually contested by doves. I don't expect any airtight casus belli to be divulged in the near future. I do not automatically label any trepidation on the preemptive war to be anti American. I do not expect the trepidation to subside. The matter of anti-Americanism won't change much. We will be percieved in much the same light regardless of what is disclosed, our level of percied eagerness and impatience is what I'd point to as a pulse for the sentiment you loaded onto an already loaded question.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 05:13 pm
President Bush's Nightmare Scenario
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 05:23 pm
perception wrote:
Timber

Well said----however I want to clear the air with one quick comment and then I won't discuss it again---I promise. What you said about snide remarks and cheap shots fairly well described many posts I have had the misfortune to read on this entire forum(not just this thread---well back) regarding the current President. While I will defend anyone's right to protest against any politician and the current administration, any posts that are inflamatory are cheap shots. I believe the jury is still out on every action the current president has taken and until such time as he is proven wrong on any particular issue, I personally would appreciate some restraint from the participants of this forum. On the other hand the entire world knows the indescretions of ex-president Clinton

Also Timber since you chose to not answer my PM regarding this subject I felt compelled to address it here. All I'm asking is for the participants of this forum to tone down the cheap shots and discuss things with an open mind----now I know that will draw some howls of indignation but I can assure all that I can be persuaded to change my position if the evidence is presented.

Now having said exactly what I intended ---- can we start with a clean page and move on.

If anyone would like to continue on this subject I welcome any PMS and will courteously respond as best I can. Perception

As far as I can determine you have labeled almost anyone who disagrees with you as guilty of "snide" comments at some point or another. They have in turn taken offense at your own posts and I can only wonder when people will stop whining about what constitutes snide and focus on maintaining your own standard that you'd like to maintain. If you have a complaint about a specific post then just report it to a moderator. Whining about what degree of mildness is needed to make dissent to your opinions permissible will probably be ignored by moderators who are too busy to entertain incessant bellyaching about non specified posts.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 05:34 pm
Craven--

I do not automatically label any trepidation on the preemptive war to be anti American.

Nor do I. I was speaking of the general anti-American sentiment abroad.
We will be percieved in much the same light regardless of what is disclosed, our level of percied eagerness and impatience is what I'd point to as a pulse for the sentiment you loaded onto an already loaded question.

I appreciated your answer to my question, but I don't understand this. What sentiment I loaded?
0 Replies

perception

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 07:00 pm
Craven

Raising the level of rancor on a political forum is not useful----what did you do ---- stub your toe when you got out of bed this morning?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 07:43 pm
perception, amen. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 07:44 pm
perception, amen. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 07:51 pm
Lash Goth wrote:
Craven--

I do not automatically label any trepidation on the preemptive war to be anti American.

Nor do I. I was speaking of the general anti-American sentiment abroad.
We will be percieved in much the same light regardless of what is disclosed, our level of percied eagerness and impatience is what I'd point to as a pulse for the sentiment you loaded onto an already loaded question.

I appreciated your answer to my question, but I don't understand this. What sentiment I loaded?

I did not mean to imply that you did (assume), by loaded I mean that the wording is subject to creative interpretation (as was my post it seems).

I do think that an airtight casus belli would reduce pre-war weariness significantly but think the effect on anti-American sentiment will be negligible as I do not think those who hold such sentiments will be swayed by the casus belli offered.

perception,

Your definitions of rancor are sweeping and do not seem to include autogenerated samplings. I was trying to communicate the futility of such complaints to the ability of the moderators to aid you. I don't trust my ability to be clear today but what I'm saying is that if any particular post merits review bya moderator please send them a link to said post as it will be of far greater utility to the moderator.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 08:30 pm
Craven said "I don't trust my ability to be clear today" ? ? ? ?

Also:

Is it possible to hate your dream job?

Care to enlighten us?
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 08:42 pm
This has been a test of my ability to simulate PMS without the notoriously mercurial equipment.

I took this as a clue. I'm guessing high frustration at job, and lack of sleep.

These are excuses I will use the next time I get my panties in a wad.

Now, quick, somebody get us back on topic.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 08:54 pm
perception,

I am finally home on Sunday after spending a total of 8 hours at home since Tuesday. My dream job has been difficult.

Lash,

I'm not excusing any of my posts herein.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 09:01 pm
Lash has the right idea; let's get back on topic. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 09:17 pm
I'll go.
Hhhmmm.

What topics...

Colin's talk in Davos?
Colin's more hawkish demeanor?
The State of the Union... Will Bush share 'secret intel'? (Husband thinks war will start before the address. I don't)
The "Save me" scientist that was dragged away from Inspectors? Why no International outcry at this?
The deadline is here... Germany and France want to break with the UN Resolution and allow more time... Maybe this?

Pick one, c.i., or somebody....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 09:20 pm
Lash Goth wrote:

The "Save me" scientist that was dragged away from Inspectors? Why no International outcry at this? .

I chose that one! What happened, I haven't seen anything about it online today, but it was on the front page of the NYTs which I don't get....
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 09:23 pm
I haven't looked at the papers today. Going to after this post.
I thought it would be all over the TV. I imagined UN law would show up on the scene and demand this guy, to check on his safety and get his story.

I was appalled that the Inspectors sat there and let this guy get dragged away.
(Going to papers. Be back in a few.)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 09:24 pm
I can't believe they'll expect other scientists to come forward anymore.....
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 26 Jan, 2003 09:26 pm
littlek, We won't be seeing any Iraqi scientist talking to UN inspectors any time soon. If they want to sacrifice their families lives and their own, that's a choice I don't think anybody is willing to take. c.i.
0 Replies