The US, The UN and Iraq

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 11:19 am
Walter, thanks for the link about Iran's nuclear capability. It really does give the lie to the tired old story that this war is all about Saddam's WMD. Iran is clearly further down the track to developing atomic weapons than Iraq. Korea not only has nuclear weapons but ballistic missiles able to deliver them to the W coast of the USA.

On the other hand perhaps Bush will attack Iran next. Or Korea. Or Syria. In fact you could probably get some good prices. Here's my book for what its worth.

The G W Bush Global World War Stakes (10 yr handicap chase)

Who's next?

N Korea 2:1
Syria 3:1
France evens
Iran 5:4
Guinea 10:1
Germany 15:1
Canada 15:1

Rest of the world, 20:1 bar these.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 11:26 am
Kara wrote:

(Gelisgesti told me a few years ago how to tell men from women posters, and I thought I had it down pretty well. )

Typical woman blaming it on someone else Very Happy
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 11:32 am
This thread has been closed because its enormous length has made it extremely slow-loading. The successor thread is here: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=129842#129842

Of course this thread will not be deleted or moved and you can copy from it just like you would any other thread. Sorry for the interruption.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 03:01 am
Tantor wrote:
Of the two types of nukes we dropped on Japan, one was considered so simple that it did not require a test detonation. The other one required a test out at Trinity.

I think it was the Fat Man bomb that required testing and the Little Boy did not. As I recall one bomb was detonated shotgun style by shooting the two halves of uranium together to achieve critical mass. That was simple.

It was more like firing 1/3 into 2/3.

Tantor wrote:
The other method of achieving critical mass was by surrounding the two halves of the uranium sphere with shaped explosive charges, all of which had to detonate within nanoseconds of each other to detonate the weapon. That was considered tricky enough to require testing.

Tantor

The sphere was not in halves. The explosives compressed a "whole" sphere. Also, the first implosion bombs used plutonium.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 03:19 am
jespah wrote:
This thread has been closed because its enormous length has made it extremely slow-loading. The successor thread is here: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=129842#129842

Of course this thread will not be deleted or moved and you can copy from it just like you would any other thread. Sorry for the interruption.

Oops. Sorry.

Embarrassed
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 10:45 am
Tantor, I worked with nukes in the US Air Force back in the late fifties. You seem to know your stuff. They even have one displayed at the Smithonian in Washington DC. Back then, we were not allowed to talk about them in public - only in our "secured" area. Wink
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2008 09:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
The best , apt, succinct statment I had read in Able 2Knowforum. Iraq is 10000000 times better to die than the never-ending DREAMY HEAVEN.
0 Replies