was/were

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2007 10:06 pm
A total of five people was / were arrested when the police cracked down on the protesters.

It should be 'were', I think.

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 481 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Mame

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2007 10:09 pm
I know it's confusing because "a total" sounds singular, but "five people" are plural, and the proper word is "were" as you think.

I wish someone would come along and explain this properly. I also don't understand the British vs Cdn re: companies and such... is The Bay Department Store singular - as in The Bay is having a sale? which is what I think it is... but is it correct or have we strangulated it?

I've heard Brits say, "The company were having a party on Friday...".... so which is it? Is a company a single entity or considered a collective?

Back to your question, though, YL, I think you're correct.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2007 10:32 pm
Mame wrote:
I know it's confusing because "a total" sounds singular, but "five people" are plural, and the proper word is "were" as you think.

I've heard Brits say, "The company were having a party on Friday...".... so which is it? Is a company a single entity or considered a collective?

Hi Mame

I hope you don't mind if I reply to your question.
In British English, words like 'company' can be used with a singular or plural verb.

The company were having a party on Friday..." is not wrong, if you are referring to the people in the company. If 'was' is used, you are thinking of the company as an entity.

I understand Americans use singular verbs in such constructions.

The audience are clapping their hands. The verb 'is' is not consistent with 'their'.

In the above sentence, do American use '... is clapping ...'? Back to you, Mame.

Best wishes.
0 Replies