Booster Seat Wars

Linkat

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2007 11:53 am
My oldest daughter has been voicing her displeasure about using a booster seat. She is 8 years old and meets the legal height requirement in our state, but is under the suggested height requirement of the NHTSA. Our state actually is in the process of implementing the same height requirement as the NHTSA suggests.

Any way, she and one other girl are the only ones in her class that I know use a booster seat - even though some are younger and shorter. Some of them will tease her saying that booster seats are for babies.

Yes, I may be anal, but (especially since I have such horrible back luck getting hit in the rear several times in the past year) I prefer to be safe. I can understand how she feels, but I want her safe. What is the best way to explain this to her without criticizing the other parents?

I did make one deal with her - I told her we would speak with her doctor (her next appointment is in a couple of months) and if her doctor felt she was tall enough then I would agree to no more booster seats.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 938 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2007 12:07 pm
Linkat--

"Whatever the doctor says" is a brilliant idea.

You might also try discussing "Blackmail" as a subject. What payoff do her dear little friends have in teasing her? Is teasing a grown-up thing to do?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2007 01:49 pm
1) We make rules to keep you safe because we love you.
2) Other parents have other rules. But you still have to follow ours.
3) Keeping you safe isn't treating you like a baby; it's treating you like the precious gift that you are.

I'll may think of some more in a while....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2007 01:56 pm
The doctor idea is genius.

Meanwhile (as in until you get the doctor's verdict), I like DrewDad's ideas a lot too.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2007 11:02 am
DrewDad wrote:
1) We make rules to keep you safe because we love you.
2) Other parents have other rules. But you still have to follow ours.
3) Keeping you safe isn't treating you like a baby; it's treating you like the precious gift that you are.

I'll may think of some more in a while....

Yeah I've used similar types - but an 8 year old doesn't like logic - they like their friends thinking their cool.
0 Replies