Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 09:03 am
Only, Thomas, if it's repeatable.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 09:06 am
au1929 wrote:
real Life
Quote:
What do you mean by 'being designated a Christian nation'? By whom? And signifying exactly what?

Have you forgotten the question posed by this thread? If so let me remind you. "Should the US be a Christian nation"

No I haven't forgotten. The title is equally vague.

What do YOU mean by it?

Designated by whom, and signifying what?

Does my answer (consistent with the First Amendment):

Quote:
I do not believe that ANY church should be the 'official church' of the US.

agree with your position, or are you attempting to take it further?

au1929 wrote:
Need I remind you that our president the republican has not only advocated policy based upon his religious beliefs

I could tell you 2 dozen things that I don't like about GWB (he's still FAR superior to the alternative), and that would include things like faith based initiatives.

au1929 wrote:

A prime example is fetal stem cell research

My opposition to ESCR is not based on a religious argument. You can verify that by perusing the abortion threads.

au1929 wrote:

As to Clinton nothing in her resume would indicate that she would mix her religion with Government

So you assume her to be lying?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 09:09 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:

I think I covered that by demanding "a statistically significant amount". You can't get that from one-off-events.

But I did make another mistake: We should require a greater increase in rainfall, not a greater amount of it. That way we control for differences in the amount of rainfall that various states usually get.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 09:22 am
Thomas wrote:
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:

I think I covered that by demanding "a statistically significant amount". You can't get that from one-off-events.

My bad. I meant in other states, just to check that God doesn't favour one state over another. This'll probably take some time, so I suggest to Christians that if they want the US to become a Christian nation, they'd better start and better do it to strict scientific guidelines.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 09:26 am
Real Life

The title was vague. Laughing

It would seem that you are only left with. Was Hillary lying. I said it was electioneering speak. Listen carefully and you will hear it coming from each and every candidate.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 09:29 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:

My bad. I meant in other states, just to check that God doesn't favour one state over another.

Right. That was a mistake I made, and is one of the things you control for by looking at an increase in rainfall. If, for example, God systematically favored Alabama over Georgia, He would give Alabama more rainfall in the future. Yet at the same time, He would already be subjecting it to a less severe draught than Alabama's in the present. Thus, any systematic favoritism on His part would cancel out when statisticians calculate the difference in rainfall.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 09:39 am
This thread has gone from Stupid to Stupider to Stupidest.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 11:03 am
dyslexia wrote:

Not until someone claims that the statue of liberty is holding a bible.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 11:10 am
Diest TKO wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

Not until someone claims that the statue of liberty is holding a bible.

T
K
O

Don't be ridiculous...

The Statue of Liberty is an anti-ESP beacon. Laughing
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 11:17 am
au1929 wrote:
Real Life

The title was vague. Laughing

It would seem that you are only left with. Was Hillary lying. I said it was electioneering speak. Listen carefully and you will hear it coming from each and every candidate.

OK , so you don't believe Hillary. I don't either.

I don't like faith based initiatives either, and I would think you would be happy about that.

Back to topic, please be specific.

What do you mean by 'the US designated as a Christian nation' ?

By whom?

Meaning what?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 11:32 am
JPB wrote:
He wasn't the least bit taken aback and said, "Of course I can recommend a collection of sources -- I edited one a couple years ago!" It's title is, The Separation of Church and State: Writings on a Fundamental Freedom by America's Founders and is available online. Here is the intro (pdf).

That looks very interesting. Thanks!
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 08:44 am
Concerning whether the US should be a "Christian" nation, the best answer for Christianity is clearly no. The US has one of the most dynamic religious mosaics of any country. I believe that is entirely due to the prohibition against government promotion of religion. When it comes to religion and parenting, there are always people, many people, ready to tell you that you are doing it wrong. In the US, if those people are in government, they are somewhat restricted from hammering you with the law. That means that you can worship how you see fit. If you want to stand on a street corner in Salt Lake City and call Mormons heretics, you can. (Several court cases on that one.) Want to handle snakes and speak in tongues? Go for it. Not even counting other religions, Christianity in the US is extremely varied. Compare that to Europe. Many countries in Europe are "Christian" nations and even use tax dollars to support religion. Is that causing a rise in religiousness in Europe?
0 Replies