Should the US be a Christian nation?

real life

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 08:19 am
Thomas wrote:
real life wrote:
xingu wrote:
Are you saying Obama and Hillary have no right to use religion in the same manner the conservatives do?

If you think conservatives are wrong to do so, what of liberals who do the same?

Could you please be more specific? Could you please provide a quote where xingu takes issue with conservatives for invocations of religion comparable to Obama's and Clinton's?

Did you skip the article xingu posted just one page back trashing John McCain?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 08:19 am
Perhaps liberal Christianity is help the poor.

Conservative Christianity is help the rich.

And Jesus was a communist.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 08:21 am
Re: pun not intended
tinygiraffe wrote:
. . . i'm saying i can't think of a single denomination (or any selection of varying ones) that embodies such a value overall. . .
Like I said. . .
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 08:22 am
xingu wrote:

Should either liberal Christianity or conservative Christianity be the basis of a political party's legislative agenda?
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 08:23 am
real, in my entire life i've only seen two people on the entire planet strip things of context better than you can.

for instance, i practically agreed with what you said about liberal hypocrisy, and you're still rollign your eyes. some day you're going to pull the beam out of them and be amazed, but until then, they'll be covered in **** from spending most of their time where your head must be. why don't you roll up your washington post and put it back where you pulled it from?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 08:24 am
The article in question is taking issue with McCain because he said the President of the United States should be a Christian. This is a country of religious freedom and, in theory, anyone of any religious belief may be President. There should not be or ever be the idea that our President has to be a Christian.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 08:27 am
If I'm upset about anything with Clinton or Obama, it is that they are being less genuine in attempt to be more marketable to a cross platform voter. However, I can forgive it, The republicans are the ones known for partisan BS.

Quite frankly, I see it as Democrats are built on the idea that they must speak to everyone.

Republicans only seem to want to talk to their own camp and other's with their interests.

T
K
O

P.s. - RL with the win for changing the topic of this thread from should the USA be a christian country to look liberals use religious language too.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 08:27 am
real life wrote:
xingu wrote:

Should either liberal Christianity or conservative Christianity be the basis of a political party's legislative agenda?

Well Republicans use conservative Christianity as the basis for their legislative agenda. Do you agree?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 08:31 am
I think the conservative Republicans are upset because Hillary and Obama are tapping into their conservative Christian reservoir. They were under the impression that it was exclusively theirs.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 08:33 am
xingu wrote:
I would be cautious about the quotes Real posted. One can depend that out of context quotes from conservative websites about liberals or evolutionist will most always give a false picture.

I would love to see the entire sentence this "instrument of God" quote was taken from and also the context in which it was said.

Cut and pasting speechs has become an art form with conservatives.

This quote from Real was from an article written by Dr. Paul Kengor and featured in conservative websites such as http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/Read.aspx?GUID=ED3D3AFE-3996-4CF5-91F4-13DC5A702AC2

Here's a CNN report on Obama's visit to the SC evangelical church. He is not reported to have said that he is an "instrument of God" who is going to create a Kingdom on earth as Kengor's article suggests.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/10/08/obama.faith/index.html

Obama's quote is recorded as:

Quote:
I just want all of you to pray that I can be an instrument of God in the same way that Pastor Ron and all of you are instruments of God." He finished his brief remarks by saying, "We're going to keep on praising together. I am confident that we can create a Kingdom right here on Earth."

quote provided by Carol Swain ([email protected])
Prof: Political Science and Law
Vanderbilt University Law School

on http://www.expertclick.com/NewsReleaseWire/default.cfm?Action=ReleaseDetail&ID=18231
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 08:35 am
xingu wrote:
real life wrote:
xingu wrote:

Well Republicans use conservative Christianity as the basis for their legislative agenda. Do you agree?

Are you asking 'do you agree that they do?' or 'do you agree that they should?'
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 08:42 am
Far different than the way Dr. Paul Kengor presented it.

Quote:
Over the weekend, Senator Obama went into a huge church in Greenville, South Carolina and called himself an "instrument of God," one who is "confident that we can create a Kingdom right here on earth."

If you didn't read this very carefully you would get the impression that Obama is saying he is an instrument of God who was sent to create a new Kingdom on earth. Wonder why Kengor didn't quote the whole sentence but only the "instrument of God" part?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 08:43 am
tinygiraffe wrote:
real, in my entire life i've only seen two people on the entire planet strip things of context better than you can.

for instance, i practically agreed with what you said about liberal hypocrisy, and you're still rollign your eyes.

I just think it funny that when a simple google search would've supplied the same info from a noted liberal source, you had to sniff at the other source that had provided the quote because it was not to your liking.

Glad that you agree about liberal hypocrisy, though. Plenty of hypocrisy in all shades of politics. We are dealing with fallible humans , after all. Expecting too much is just going to lead to disappointment .

I'm an Independent and glad of it. I've been proud to support D's or R's both. Sometimes I gotta hold my nose and pick the lesser of two bad choices.

That's my spiel. Hope you're having a good day.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 08:50 am
xingu wrote:

Quote:
Over the weekend, Senator Obama went into a huge church in Greenville, South Carolina and called himself an "instrument of God," one who is "confident that we can create a Kingdom right here on earth."

If you didn't read this very carefully you would get the impression that Obama is saying he is an instrument of God who was sent to create a new Kingdom on earth. Wonder why Kengor didn't quote the whole sentence but only the "instrument of God" part?

Most sources I've seen, including MSNBC , only quoted that.

You might notice that they all capitalized Kingdom as well. One might ask whether that theological allusion is a proper inference or not.

Perhaps Obama meant kingdom in a much more political sense. Or perhaps they were working from a printed copy of his remarks, provided by the campaign.

What do you think?

btw Did this qualify as a campaign speech, and why was it in a church during Sunday morning service?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 08:51 am
real life wrote:
xingu wrote:
real life wrote:
xingu wrote:

I am making the statement that conservative Republicans use conservative Christianity as the basis of their legislative agenda. Do you agree with this statement
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 09:02 am
xingu wrote:
real life wrote:
xingu wrote:
real life wrote:
xingu wrote:

I am making the statement that conservative Republicans use conservative Christianity as the basis of their legislative agenda. Do you agree with this statement

That is very often correct.

And probably unavoidable in practical terms.

Since both politics and religion address issues of behavior -- what is and isn't proper, what is and isn't right or wrong, what should or shouldn't be allowed ----

---- the overlap is probably continue as long as you or I are around. And beyond.

It has for thousands of years.

My point is that conservatives are often trashed for it, while liberals are given a pass.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 09:03 am
real life wrote:
xingu wrote:

Quote:

You might notice that they all capitalized Kingdom as well. One might ask whether that theological allusion is a proper inference or not.

Perhaps Obama meant kingdom in a much more political sense. Or perhaps they were working from a printed copy of his remarks, provided by the campaign.

What do you think?

btw Did this qualify as a campaign speech, and why was it in a church during Sunday morning service?

I'm assuming that when you talk to overly religious people you have to talk to them in a language they understand. I suppose when Obama said Kingdom they understand it in a different way than secular people would. I hardly think Obama is saying he wants to start a new kingdom in America with him being the monarch or a Kingdom in which he is God's new Son.

And yes it was a political speech given on a Sunday. The parishioners knew that. I'm sure they knew in advance that Obama was going to visit their Sunday service and give a political speech. Sunday is a good time to catch them. Since you asked do you have a problem with this?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 09:22 am
Quote:
My point is that conservatives are often trashed for it, while liberals are given a pass.

If conservatives are critized for it it's because they use religion to promote attacks on foreign countries (Iran and Iraq), anti homosexual agendas (hate promotion), and trying to insert CC religious dogmas into public schools (Creationism); among other things.

I think Hillary and Obama also have a Christian agenda; to help those who need help and not use religion to promote wars, hate and to destroy the wall that seperates government and religion.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 09:26 am
xingu wrote:
real life wrote:
xingu wrote:

Quote:

What do you think?

I'm assuming that when you talk to overly religious people you have to talk to them in a language they understand. I suppose when Obama said Kingdom they understand it in a different way than secular people would. I hardly think Obama is saying he wants to start a new kingdom in America with him being the monarch or a Kingdom in which he is God's new Son.

And yes it was a political speech given on a Sunday. The parishioners knew that. I'm sure they knew in advance that Obama was going to visit their Sunday service and give a political speech. Sunday is a good time to catch them. Since you asked do you have a problem with this?

Problem?

You mean because it's illegal since it violates IRS rules for a tax exempt entity?

Or do you mean since a conservative would be trashed for it but Obama's been given a pass by many, including apparently you?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 09:29 am
xingu wrote:
Quote:

If conservatives are critized for it it's because they use religion to promote attacks on foreign countries (Iran and Iraq), anti homosexual agendas (hate promotion), and trying to insert CC religious dogmas into public schools (Creationism); among other things.

I think Hillary and Obama also have a Christian agenda; to help those who need help and not use religion to promote wars, hate and to destroy the wall that seperates government and religion.

So only conservatives violate the wall between church and state by advocating policies that they think God would approve of.

When liberals advocate policies that THEY think God would approve of, THAT doesn't violate the wall between church and state.

Right?
0 Replies