Gray?

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2007 10:20 am
Some guys from UK or US talked in a way that got me confused.
Questions:

(1) swore blind I had 2 noses = "I had 2 noses" refers to an illusion caused by flu medicine? Swore blind = ?

(2) Gray = an gray area?

Context:

Poster (a member of a site called Neowin.net): I myself haven't yet seen anything. What about

the Neowins here.
Please, be honest.

Replies:
(1)(A member from UK replied) Not seen, but woke up one night, was tripping off flu medicine and swore blind I had 2 noses
(2)(A member from US replied) A large gray In Hoback canyon, Wyoming 2:30 am sept 24th 1988
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 406 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2007 10:27 am
"Swore blind" is simply an intensifier, a way to emphasize just how strong the surreal sensation of having two noses was--it is hyperbole to underline how the speaker had a powerful experience of an irrational sensation. It is not intended to have any internal coherence.

The second quote is not presented in sufficient context to understand what the writer intends to convey. I suspect that it is a reference to fishing, and that the use of "gray" refers to a type of fish known to the author and his/her audience. Without being able to see the sequence of posts and replies, it isn't possible to say.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2007 10:56 am
Setanta is correct, and once again, there is nothing useful to add to his post.

Smile

Hi OristarA, long time no see.

Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2007 01:59 pm
Yes, let me add my greetings with McT's, Oristar. I don't recall having seen you for a while, and it is good to see you again. Your English improves apace, and i am gratified to see that you do so well in the language.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2007 08:54 pm
Thank you, Setanta and McTag. Smile
Good to see you both again!
0 Replies