Australians Losing Faith In the United States.

spendius

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 11:05 am
I know nothing of St Augistine's relationship with his mother.

If he stayed out of her way as much as possible then his relationship bears a striking resemblance to my case. The father too and by extension adults as a class.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 11:42 am
Tertullian leads to Augustine (and his mom) and that gets us up to your last post. A reasonable thesis, perhaps.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 07:01 am
dadpad wrote:
Their is also a growing belief among Australians that if a foreign power (China? Indonesia?) decided to attack Australia, America would not take action anyway because there is no overriding reason to. (read economic and/or strategic reason).

I'm not sure thats true but many people seem to believe it. I believe this is one of the reasons Howard has been so stalwart in his support of Bush in Afghanistan, ie getting the brownie point up.

Australia has 1/3 of the worlds uranium supplies Should the government decide not to sell uranium to China I believe they would just come and take it.

Would The US assist in stopping them?

Yes, the US would.
There is a long history between the US and Australia, and any attack on Australia would cause an immediate US response.
THe US navy 7th fleet (pacific fleet) would respond first, with air strikes, cruise missiles, and submarine attacks on the fleet of whatever country attacked, followed by the USAF.
Because of where Australia is, it would take sea power to invade, and that fleet would be destroyed by the US Navy.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 07:50 am
and then dlowan would be waiting at the docks in fish nets and hot pants.... hoping for an Ameican sailor wih chocolates and nylons... at the ready to show her appreciation....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 08:25 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
and then dlowan would be waiting at the docks in fish nets and hot pants.... hoping for an Ameican sailor wih chocolates and nylons... at the ready to show her appreciation....

I don't DO uniforms.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 09:02 am
dlowan wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

I don't DO uniforms.

Thats ok,every time we went to Australia for liberty, we didnt wear our uniforms off the ship.
We didnt need to.

I spent a christmas/new year holiday there on liberty once.
I had a great time.
I met a young lady, and spent the whole time with her.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 09:17 am
mysteryman wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

I don't DO uniforms.

Thats ok,every time we went to Australia for liberty, we didnt wear our uniforms off the ship.
We didnt need to.

I spent a christmas/new year holiday there on liberty once.
I had a great time.
I met a young lady, and spent the whole time with her.

You are, indeed, a man of mystery.

:wink:
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 09:27 am
I'm frightened of Australia.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 09:37 am
blatham wrote:
I'm frightened of Australia.

We eat Canajuns before breakfast.

It's their hubris, it makes them slow.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 11:20 pm
Just as the UK is not about to throw away the advantage of it's special relationship with the US, neither will Australia.

Wise UK leaders who appreciate the value of this relationship with the US have a much harder time of things than their Aussie counter-parts. Australians have never ruled the world and don't have a "sour grapes" sense of America. They may or may not be in tune with the current US administration, but they are in tune with America.

If Howard is thrown out of office, it will hardly be because of his ties with the Bush Administration. Local politics trump national, and national trump global. If the majority of Aussies are relatively content with their current lot in life, they will not risk rocking the boat because of Howard's relationship with America.

If, on the other hand, the Howard government has failed the average Australian at home, his global politics will only be used against him.

Australia is an Anglo-Saxon nation situated in a non-Western part of the world. Why would it cease to exploit it's cultural ties with the greatest power on earth?

(Note to Roxxie --- At least this is what my "wealthy" Australian friends tell me.)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 11:33 pm
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Just as the UK is not about to throw away the advantage of it's special relationship with the US, neither will Australia.

Wise UK leaders who appreciate the value of this relationship with the US have a much harder time of things than their Aussie counter-parts. Australians have never ruled the world and don't have a "sour grapes" sense of America. They may or may not be in tune with the current US administration, but they are in tune with America.

If Howard is thrown out of office, it will hardly be because of his ties with the Bush Administration. Local politics trump national, and national trump global. If the majority of Aussies are relatively content with their current lot in life, they will not risk rocking the boat because of Howard's relationship with America.

If, on the other hand, the Howard government has failed the average Australian at home, his global politics will only be used against him.

Australia is an Anglo-Saxon nation situated in a non-Western part of the world. Why would it cease to exploit it's cultural ties with the greatest power on earth?

(Note to Roxxie --- At least this is what my "wealthy" Australian friends tell me.)

Hmmm...I actually think Howard's uncritical support of the Iraq war has eroded his base quite a lot, as has his puffery of Bush.

Without more casualties, I agree that this alone would not lose him power, but I think it more significant than you believe.

I am interested in the views expressed here by some Americans that the US would definitely take action if Oz were attacked.

I do not think this is by any means taken for granted any more here.....I suspect the general view is more like "You guys will jump in if it suits your strategy at the time."

I don't say this in an anti American way.....I just think it's normal real politik.

Churchill, for instance, tried to persuade the Australian government not to move any of our troops back to defend Oz when Japan attacked. There was a real politik point to this (go back and get Oz when the Germans were defeated, but don't take away troops before that.)

I can imagine that it would likely suit American strategic desires not to lose an ally, and that the US would see that enemies NOT seeing them help Oz would be seen as a sign of American weakness, but I truly do not think too many Ozzians would think to see the US act except in its own interests.

I don't know, though.....I think we do care a lot about England and you guys, and mebbe you do in return?

The fiercest politically anti US people I kmow were walking around in just as much horror after September 11 as anyone else in Oz. I guess you're kind of family.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 11:57 pm
dlowan wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Hmmm...I actually think Howard's uncritical support of the Iraq war has eroded his base quite a lot, as has his puffery of Bush.

Without more casualties, I agree that this alone would not lose him power, but I think it more significant than you believe.

Perhaps, but if life is pretty much OK for the average Aussie, I doubt they will say" "Life has been pretty good in Australia under Howard, but I just don't like his close ties to Bush," and vote against him.

I am interested in the views expressed here by some Americans that the US would definitely take action if Oz were attacked.

I do not think this is by any means taken for granted any more here.....I suspect the general view is more like "You guys will jump in if it suits your strategy at the time."

I don't say this in an anti American way.....I just think it's normal real politik.

Churchill, for instance, tried to persuade the Australian government not to move any of our troops back to defend Oz when Japan attacked. There was a real politik point to this (go back and get Oz when the Germans were defeated, but don't take away troops before that.)

I can imagine that it would likely suit American strategic desires not to lose an ally, and that the US would see that enemies NOT seeing them help Oz would be seen as a sign of American weakness, but I truly do not think too many Ozzians would think to see the US act except in its own interests.

I don't know, though.....I think we do care a lot about England and you guys, and mebbe you do in return?

The fiercest politically anti US people I kmow were walking around in just as much horror after September 11 as anyone else in Oz. I guess you're kind of family.

It would utterly astound me if the US did not come to the aid of an Australia under attack. The only scenario in which I could imagine such a happenstance is one, some time from now, when America might become something less than a minor power, struggling for survival.

Real time --- it will never happen, most importantly because any nation contemplating attacking Australia knows it will have to contend with America.

This is not to suggest that the US is fully motivated by altruism (although I am a firm believer that the American Empire has been the most altruistic in history), but it is hard to imagine a scenario where the security of an anglo-saxon Australian is not directly within the interests of America.

As long as Aussies don't allow their nation to become The Islamic Republic of Oz, they can, without any hesitation, rely upon America to have their back.

0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 05:43 am
An interesting thread.

Many in Australia were in favour of the war (at the start). Many were not. And most wanted UN approval (propoganda is an ugly tool).

Australians that I know do differentiate between the govt and the people - in both countries. Personally I quite like the Americans I have met, and I like the country, but I don't like it's governments foreign policy.

The faith the west places in US foreign policy is done out of ignorance of the long history of US foreign policy failures, coups against democratically elected governments, proping up of dictators, invasions, and economic politics contributing to the death of millions.

On the positive side, the US did intervene in two world wars, ensuring victory for the Allied side (though if one were cynical one would say they waited until the old colonial powers were drained of resources before they stepped in)

By the way, the poster who called us 'subjects' (which did earn a laugh from me) - I once tried to get a couple of Americans to explain what your president was, and I got the distinct impression that he was an elected king. I told them so, and was told that is entirely incorrect...then as they went on to tell me where I went wrong, they only reinforced that impression. So the 'subjects' jab is entirely ironic...as our 'Monarch' is only symbolic...

Now as for the Australia, US and New Zealand Alliance - otherwise known as ANZUS. Should Australia be invaded I doubt very much that the US would dishonour one of it's alliances - who would ever trust it to honour an alliance again?

China isn't likely to invade - it is too far away, and such a war requires a long distance naval war. I doubt that any country bar the US has such a capability any more. Indonesia is the most likely to invade. There are vast gas and oil reserves on the NW coast of Australia, which is sparsley populated, and which is the direction Indonesia lies off our coast. Indonesia's population density is very very high, they are Islamic, and they need resources. Strategically, they are the ones that have reason to invade. But Indonesia also controls very important shipping channels.

Basically, the Australian Governments kissing up to the US is to build credit against the possibility of invasion by Indonesia. (one only has to look at how tenderly they treated the West Papuan assylum seekers to see the govt attempts to avoid aggravating Indonesia at all costs).
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 06:27 am
I don't think we have to be worried about Indonesia at all. Every brave act I've seen from Indonesian soldiers is when they're attacking unarmed civilians. Faced with a trained enemy they have a tendency to piss themselves and run away. And even Indonesia would require a naval capability that I don't believe they have.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 06:29 am
dlowan wrote:

I shed tears that day.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 06:50 am
Vikoor...."subject" is what cjhsa calls anyone without a gun.
0 Replies

anton

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 08:07 am
vikorr wrote:

On the positive side, the US did intervene in two world wars, ensuring victory for the Allied side (though if one were cynical one would say they waited until the old colonial powers were drained of resources before they stepped in)

Don't make the mistake of believing that the US came into the Second World War to save the world, they came in because they had no choice after Adolf Hitler declared war on America at the end of '41, the same time Japan attacked Pearl Harbour.
The US was the only country to make money out of that war, Britain only recently finished paying the interest on American loans... Sure, America had the finance and technology but Britain and her commonwealth just about had the war won; they held out against the might of the Third Reich for two years before America was dragged in!
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 01:34 pm
Quote:
Wilso
I don't think we have to be worried about Indonesia at all. Every brave act I've seen from Indonesian soldiers is when they're attacking unarmed civilians. Faced with a trained enemy they have a tendency to piss themselves and run away. And even Indonesia would require a naval capability that I don't believe they have.

They don't exactly need a naval capacity as in a modern navy. Small fishing boats are able to chart the waters. About 4 years ago, my brothers brother-in-law, who is a reservist in one of Australia's northern scout forces (something like norforce, except I can't remember the name) had just finished an operation in the Gulf of Carpentaria where they had captured and destroyed 50 fishing boats - and that is just in the Gulf. These sort of things don't make the news, but it shows just what is able to be done with small boats. Indonesia's population is 235,000,000. 10 times the Australian population. It matters little if Australia's defence force is well trained if they send over 20 million civilians and supply each of them an AK47 in case they are 'attacked'.

Quote:
anton
Don't make the mistake of believing that the US came into the Second World War to save the world,

Hence the part I inserted in brackets.

Quote:
they came in because they had no choice after Adolf Hitler declared war on America at the end of '41,

They did have a choice. If you read History though, Roosevelt (if I remember the president at the time right) had promised the American people he would not enter the war. Churchill has been visiting him trying to talk him into entering the war. Hitlers declaration gave him the excuse he needed.

Quote:
the same time Japan attacked Pearl Harbour.

Directly after - the Germans had a alliance with Japan.

Quote:
The US was the only country to make money out of that war, Britain only recently finished paying the interest on American loans...

I'm aware of that.

Quote:
Sure, America had the finance and technology but Britain and her commonwealth just about had the war won; they held out against the might of the Third Reich for two years before America was dragged in!

Ahh...that was with the might of the US industry backing them. Before the US officially entered the war, they were sending over huge amounts of supplies for the war effort. They were losing one in three boats to the german U boats before the enigma code was broken.

Further, Britain could easily have found itself in a losing position had Hitler not done a number of very stupid things, including :
-Attacking Russia
-Scuttling his own fleet (which allowed free passage of allied aid to Russia)
-Ordering the Luftwafe to attack the Brittish bombers instead of their fighters (during the battle of Britain if I remember right, when the Luftwafe was clearly the superior force)
-Using the Me262 mostly in a bomber capacity
-Not securing Middle Eastern Oil supplies when he had the chance
-Sending Rommel to Africa
-Not protecting his Atomic Bomb research properly
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 01:49 pm
dlowan wrote:
Vikoor...."subject" is what cjhsa calls anyone without a gun.

Au contraire rabbitmoiselle, a subject is anyone who has given up their right to bear arms (even worse yet, many are proud of giving up that right).
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 02:02 pm
cjhsa

Alright, I'll bite. Considering those bearing arms are 'subject' to the exact same government rules as those bearing arms, where is the differentiation?
0 Replies