his/committee's

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 06:22 am
Someone asked me the following question and, although I know that he is wrong, I'm unable to explain to him why. Could someone please explain the reason? Many thanks.

1. John bumped into a friend of his yesterday.

2. The second meeting of the commitee will be held on Friday.

Why is it that in sentence 1, "his" is used, but in sentence 2, commitee is used but not commitee's?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 353 • Replies: 4
No top replies

contrex

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 07:24 am
Re: his/committee's
Yoong Liat wrote:
1. John bumped into a friend of his yesterday.

2. The second meeting of the commitee will be held on Friday.

Why is it that in sentence 1, "his" is used, but in sentence 2, commitee is used but not commitee's?

"His" refers to John, a (male) individual. We can use "his", "hers" and "theirs" in this way when referring to things associated with or owned by people.

Jane met an old colleague of hers yesterday.
Mary and John met an old friend of theirs last week.

Strictly speaking, you can leave out "of his", "of hers" and "of theirs" without affecting the meaning of the sentences. The construction is somewhat slangy and conversational.

A committee (two 'm's, two 't's) is not a person.

You could write "The committee's second meeting will be held on Friday".
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 10:08 am
Many thanks, Contrex.

Another careless mistake made. I'm aware that 'committee' should be spelt thus. However, I tend to be careless. However, thanks for pointing out the mistake. I'll be careful when I type that word again.

With best wishes.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 11:19 am
Comittee or commitee are mistakes I frequently made, until I trained myself to watch for them, hence I am hyper-aware of either now...
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 11:30 am
contrex wrote:
Comittee or commitee are mistakes I frequently made, until I trained myself to watch for them, hence I am hyper-aware of either now...

When I teach my pupils. one of the words I frequently test them on is 'committee'. I call words with several repeated letters 'greedy' words. I tell my students to group all the 'greedy' words together so that it is easier to remember how to spell them. Other such words are 'millennium' and 'embarrassed'. That's why I checked the spelling of the 'embarrassed' emoticon and realised that it is spelt wrongly.

Thank you for all the help you've rendered me all along.

All the best.
0 Replies