Old Friend (Sp)

ct54531

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 12:18 pm
I came across this site and will visit often but for now I have an immmediate albeit probably simple question. I was recently contacted by a close friend from my service days of decades ago and I wanted to send him something and include a note referring to him in Spanish as "old friend". I know the words are 'viejo amigo' but I have sufficient familiarity with translations in other languages to know that the words don't always convey the meaning. So I am concerned that 'viejo amigo' might mean my elderly friend as opposed to my friend of many years or for a long time, etc. Is there a particular colloquial phrase that means 'old friend' as I intend it? Thanks.
By the way, this friend of mine's particular heritage is Mexican-American (San Jose, CA) if that has a bearing on the phrasing.
Thanks again.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,531 • Replies: 3
No top replies

max

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 12:44 pm
Old friend is el amigo viejo, and it will not imply that he is old. That would be personas mayores.... :wink:
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 12:58 pm
Welcome, CT.

The order is important:

"Viejo amigo" is perfectly fine for 15 year olds who have been friends since they were 11.

"Amigo viejo" would be a friend who's way older than you.
0 Replies

ct54531

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 04:42 pm
Old Friend
Gracias.
0 Replies