Do couples actually SHARE hobbies?

chemist

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 12:03 pm
My husband and I don't do much together, and I was just wondering what other couples do together...??? Smile ... to get some ideas.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,897 • Replies: 17
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 12:12 pm
Talk.

Well, we do a few other things together, but I'm assuming that's not what you meant... Razz

Really, the main thing we do when we have time together is talk.
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 02:14 pm
We share books - once we finish reading we swap so we can discuss if we think the book is worth it. We love riding motorcycles (he drives, I hold on). Cooking, dancing, bike riding, swimming. We have hobbies that we don't share - I love computers and learning script, he has no clue. He goes to the gym everyday, I've been about 5 times in my life.

I think there are things we have in common and sometimes we find each other hobbies enriching to our own lives and they become our hobbies as well. Sometimes we'd rather they keep it. Wink
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 02:16 pm
Alot of couples participate in sports. Golf, tennis, bowling.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 02:52 pm
Hmm...talk, movies, TV. Neither of us enjoy working out. Sharing food and wine, always a popular choice. I try to share books, but our tastes there are quite different. Wink I did turn her on to Bukowski, however...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 02:57 pm
My husband is an audiophile, and I love music. The problem is, that I am less concerned with the audio fidelity than "getting into" the music. After 36 years, I do tire of him playing one short part of a work over and over, while he tweaks his system. I think that the sound system sounds just fine as it is, and would really like to listen to an entire piece of music for a change!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 04:29 pm
We share books, talk (a lot of talk), love of cinema and good food.

We shareD scrabble and bowling, and we had similar musical tastes (or thought we did). We could play cards for hours.

Now I do yoga; she lift weights. I like running, she likes swimming. I say po-ta-toe, she says po-tah-toh...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 06:35 pm
we do an incredible amount of things separately. Shes the stock herder, I the dog herder. She likes weaving and fibre arts. I like wood, pottery, airbrush. We both do watercolors but rarely together. We both enjoy the outdoors and here we are an inseparable team. We fish, hike, watch, look for, discover, boat, and RV. We do keep each other infomed , at frequent meetings and critique sessions.

We get together with small groups of friends cuz both of us stay away from booze (me cuz im an ex drunk, and she cause she remembers that many drunks can be real asses who like to grope)
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 07:16 pm
She gardens. I handle the shovel.
She cooks, I eat.
I'm learning guitar, she listens.
We both read, but usually not the same things.
But we just bought bikes...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 05:35 am
As you see from the answers,evrybody has different definitions of "Together" , so dont force the issue. Being together on everything can smother a relationship and stifle any personal growth. Think of yourselves as hikers on the road of life. You could be walking abreast for a while and then , for a long stretch you both could be spread out over miles or more. BUT, youre sorta heading the same way.
We like to have supper with the family when were together, thats about the only hard and fast rule.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 05:53 am
My wife and I both love to read. I'd guess that about 50% of what we read overlaps.

We both enjoyed square dancing for several years, until the Club here in Camp withered away as the western population decreases.

One oddball hobby we share is ancient coins. They're digging these up by the bushelfull in Eastern Europe these days, and there are dozens of sellers of them on Ebay very cheap. Most of them are covered with dirt, so cleaning can be tedious. The most fun is trying to catalog them. It's kind of like working a crossword puzzle or cryptogram, only more challenging because the language is either latin or greek, and some of the inscription can be lost through wear or being off-struck. And even though the coins themselves don't cost much, the reference catalogs can be pricey.
0 Replies

chemist

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 06:37 am
Wow, interesting answers Smile Thanks so much!
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2003 10:50 am
My wife and I (just married) do alot togather. I think that is why we became so close and had so much to talk about. We often read the same books and go fishing togather. We also train in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu as I am a blackbelt and she wanted to learn because we have many friends that fight in the UFC and PRIDE as did my instructor so this generated her interests. That is what comes to mind but I know there is more.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sat 16 Aug, 2003 12:06 pm
My niece and her husband live in Colorado. They have a mutual interest in agility training for dogs. They also enjoy outdoor activities such as hiking, camping and snow skiing.

They have an ideal relationship because they are partners not only in life, but also in hobbies.
0 Replies

kerver

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 11:13 pm
My boyfriend and I do just about everything together, we fish, camp, talk, go for drives, play guitar. We're just happy to be together no matter what we're doing. Some times one or both us needs time to ourselves and we both understand that. It's great.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 12:05 am
We used to travel off the beaten path, and antique together. Me--loved furniture, some glassware. He loved small doo-dads and coins.

We liked to find old cemetaries and read headstones. Really had sweet times, strolling through lovely old bone orchards...

My parents used to put together those million piece puzzles--laminate them and frame them. After Daddy died, my mother would look at them, remembering all the hours they spent together over the puzzles.

Hub and I used to love to spend time planning the ridiculous details of upcoming vacations. Coordinate times of travel, stopping places, plan various itineraries (sp?). He loved that.

Eating out was an event. We would behave like a couple of food critics. Choosing an unsuspecting restaurant, enjoying our banter, but paying close attention to service, presentation, choosing new things and reporting our gastronomical druthers. We were incredibly pompous, knew it and laughed at each other.

We had more separate hobbies than hobbies in common--but it felt like a good mix.
0 Replies

jovialashish

Reply Mon 14 May, 2012 02:04 am
@chemist,
Hobbies the only thing that you can not do alone so u need someone to whom with you can share your hobby whether he is ur hubby or lover Smile
0 Replies

legalbillingsoftware

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2012 02:13 am
a couple can share on anything.. hobbies, musics, etc..
but there are things that could be done separately.
0 Replies