hurting

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 04:54 pm
I geuss that I am looking for advice from anywhere I can get it. I don't really know where to turn. I am 28 years old and have the greatest wife on the planet. I love her completely and she loves me. We have been together for 8 years and married for almost 5. We have no kids. To truly understand the problem I'll tell the whole story.

We live in Sweden. My wife is a nurse and I am a medical student going to school in Poland. I am away for up to two months at a time. We are able to talk nightly thanks to Skype. (a wonderful invention!) When we are together during the summer and Christmas and other holidays it's absolutely wonderful. We laugh at the same jokes we enjoy the same things and she really is my best friend. The reason that I am looking for advice is that she has lost intrest in love making. She has always been tentative and with the exception of a handfull of times in our entire relationship she never really gets worked up. When I am getting ready to leave it's always emotional and I want to make love but she stops me. I hold her instead and try not to put any pressure on her but inside I am screaming. I told her that I was willing to wait as long as it takes and so I stopped trying to initiate anything. That has resulted in that we sleep on our own side of the bed without cuddling. I have asked her and she said that she didn't want to get me all worked up when nothing was going to happen. I told her that being close to her even without sex is good but she's still hesitant. I have read countless articles, most of which blaming me for her not wanting to. I subsequently have sole responsibility for the dishes, the laundry and cooking supper because every article I read told me what a lousy lazy man I was. I even started hitting the gym and after 3 years of religious training I am in the best shape of my life. I try my hardest to show her in other ways how I feel.
That said...there are 2 other problems. 1) She takes medication for a chemical depression, however the medicines she's on have both the lowest risk for and lowest severity of sexual side-effects. 2) She has polycystic ovarian disease. I understand that both of these conditions can cause sexual dysfunction.
I have told her that I do not want to make love if she does not want to. That is to say I don't want her to go through the motions just for me. She is so honest that I could read it on her face if she did.
Lately it's getting to the point where I am starting to feel like that part of my marriage is gone for good. I've tried to talk to her about it but I trip over the words. I always think to myself that sex is such a small part of our relationship as compared to all the great stuff we have that I shouldn't be worried. What worries me is that because she has said that she is afraid that making-out for instance will lead to sex that she avoids that too. I am losing the passion in my marriage. That hurts.
Í believe her when she says she loves me. I believe her when she says that she doesn't want anyone else. Does anyone have any advice?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 666 • Replies: 4
No top replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 07:16 pm
Hmmm....this is a familiar problem to me. I ended up with very little interest in sex because of a medication, and am still figuring out how to get completely back to normal with my husband, over a year after being off the medication. So if it *is* because of one of those medical issues that you mentioned, I can really sympathize with both of you, I know how hard that is to deal with.

It sounds like you're doing a lot of the usual things that are suggested-- I've read all those articles too, the ones that suggest that it'll help if the guy will take more of the load of housework, etc.... My husband did what you are doing, took on way more than his share of all the work, and as with you, it didn't help. I think that might be more useful in situations where the problem is emotional, not medical (if your wife's issue is medical).

I think it's really not good that you two aren't having much physical interaction at all (no cuddling at night, no making out). I have said that exact thing-- "I don't want to start anything that'll make you push for sex"-- so I know what she means, but it's not a good route to go. If I were you, I'd really focus on getting her to allow physical affection again, and then definitely don't bring up sex. Spend time kissing and cuddling, and then go off and do something else, so she sees that you can be affectionate and intimate in ways she can enjoy too... I think after doing that for awhile it might go a long way toward changing her feelings about intimacy.

That's just a thought, and I know some would say this is unfair to you because it leaves the whole burden on you, and that's true. So hopefully others will have some suggestions that are more balanced, but maybe this is an okay starting point anyway.
0 Replies

Beka2525

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 09:08 pm
I don't have much advice because I've never been in your shoes, just a comment...I really don't understand women who don't feel giving sex to their husband is necessary. Even if you're not in the mood, having sex can get you 'in the mood'. I get mind boggled when women never give their husband's anything and they wonder why he cheated.
0 Replies

Dogz

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 11:48 pm
Excuse me for a minute Macman, while I address Beka.

Quote:
I really don't understand women who don't feel giving sex to their husband is necessary. Even if you're not in the mood, having sex can get you 'in the mood'. I get mind boggled when women never give their husband's anything and they wonder why he cheated

Do you think perhaps that women may be a little tired from getting the kids up, dressed, fed, off to school, then after a whole day at work, coming home to cook dinner, feed the family, bathe the kids, play with the kids, read them a bedtime story, then finally get 10mins to herself before flopping into bed, exhausted, ready to start the whole day over again in about 6 hours time!

Gee, it beats me why women aren't always in the mood Rolling Eyes

Oh, and we forgot the little point of personal choice!

I have been married for 12 years, with 2 beautiful young children. Going out on a limb here and suggesting you have zero children?
0 Replies

MagicBlackCat

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 12:20 pm
Could it be somehow painful for her? Sometimes it can be difficult for the woman to admit if making love is painful and so may avoid it to some degree if her partner is not aware.... If she has health issues and takes medication too they are both things that can affect her emotional state and make her either afraid (like she will fail you in some way) or that she is not in the right state of mind to let down her emotional barriers. For women it's definately a more mental thing than for men I've noticed. Satsifaction for the male is easy to gage, females it more about the emotional release that happens.

I'd suggest first talking about things that will get her into a romantic mood by appealing to her womanly side then slowly work up to love making (but not 'expect' it to happen). Givng her a back massage, washing her back in the bathtub can be good ways to be intimate without forcing love making as the only way of being close. I know I very much prefer it when it 'just happens' as a course of an evening instead of having it 'planned'. Maybe that's just me and my abnormal dysfunctional self though...
0 Replies