comma

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 05:29 am
He went to the park, then went to his friends'. (Is a comma necessary after 'park'? I think so.)

He passed his exams and then went to university. (Is a comma necessary after 'exams'? I don't think so.)

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 404 • Replies: 6
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 06:06 am
In the second sentence the "and" links the two clauses, so no comma. What's that trailing apostrophe after "friend"?
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 06:14 am
contrex wrote:
Why do you think the two sentences differ? And what's that trailing apostrophe after "friend"?

I think there's is a difference where punctuation is concerned - 'then', 'and then'.
As for the apostrophe, I mean 'friend's house', just as I would say "grandmother's" to mean grandmother's house. Am I wrong in regard to 'friend's'?

Thanks.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 06:36 am
I edited my post while you were composing your reply. I missed the 'and' in your second sentence.

You placed the apostrophe after the 's' of 'friends'.

In conversation we might say "I went to my friend's" but in writing we write out in full where we went e.g. my friend's house, my friend's boat, my friend's garden.

We place the possessive apostrophe after the 's' of a plural noun or a singular noun ending in the letter 's'.

My friend's house had a red roof. (The house belonging to my friend has a red roof)

My friend's houses all have had red roofs. (The houses belonging to my friend...)

My friends' houses all have different roofs (The houses belonging to my friends...)

All hail the power of Jesus' name!
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 07:49 am
Re: comma
Yoong Liat wrote:
He went to the park, then went to his friends'. (Is a comma necessary after 'park'? I think so.)

He passed his exams and then went to university. (Is a comma necessary after 'exams'? I don't think so.)

Hi Contrex

You haven't answered my questions.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 07:52 am
Re: comma
Yoong Liat wrote:
Hi Contrex

You haven't answered my questions.

Yes I have

Quote:
In the second sentence the "and" links the two clauses, so no comma.

I implied that the comma was required in the first sentence.

Also, these examples needed correction due to hasty posting:-

My friend's house has a red roof. (The house belonging to my friend has a red roof)

My friend's houses all have red roofs. (The houses belonging to my friend...)
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 07:58 am
Thanks, Contrex, for guiding me all along.
0 Replies