New fees for becoming a US citizen

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 05:22 pm
Ha i take it that you never flew on a Tupolev of the Aeroflot airlines... Now that is an adventure. To be or not to be...that is the question.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 05:44 pm
No! Only once with a Hungarian carrier from Budapest to Munich, but
they filled us up with red wine even before take-off, so no one
cared much what could have happened to us anyways.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 06:55 pm
Foofie wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:
But, as CJ already noted, you have to live in the U.S. for 5 whole years before you get citizenship. 5 years is a long enough time to save $400 together. It really does not strike me as an exorbitant amount of money, and I'm one that the fee applies to - i'll probably pay it one day.

Why not have a sliding fee scale? Those that are intelligent, young and attractive (including height) would have a token fee. They would be a "nicer" addition to the gene pool. Doesn't anyone care about aesthetics, regarding the immigrants???

I've been wondering if Foofie is a persona. This does it, Gus has been here all along.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 06:57 pm
I did fly Aeronaves in a storm once, where the stewardesses (the term at the time) held rosaries and one eminent looking well suited fellow kissed the tarmac when he got down the steps in Tijuana...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 06:57 pm
you might be right, osso. let's hope so.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 07:14 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
heh, when i compare it to $5,000 I paid for my work visa and $15,000 or more I'll pay for the green card, it looks like peanuts. It probably does look like a lot to someone who won a green card in a lottery... I don't have such luck (I tried 10 times).

I guess I'm looking at it a cumulative cost verses comparative, as my husband (and I indirectly) paid the same fees (plus some nasty lawyers fees because of an unfortunate address change mix up). We're constantly asking ourselves if it's really worth it. We just sent in the application before the fee went up.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 07:57 pm
I have no appreciation or admiration for those who risk their life to cross the border and do the substandard job.
I hate those who sape the tax payer's money to get qualified at home
and sing the song of criminal consume culture..
I came to Germany to marry a German woman who is above all the people I had met so far.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 08:48 pm
Setanta wrote:
Foofie wrote:
I was born in the U.S. because I had the good fortune to have grandparents that decided to come to this country in the late 1800's. So, I can thank them posthumously for that decision.

You intend to wait until you are dead to thank them? I'd be interested to know how you intend to accomplish that. Perhaps you think to meet them in the "afterlife."

My most distant ancestor to live in America arrived in Monmouth County, New Jersey in 1676. He was one of the many immigrants before 1924 who did not arrive by airplane.

Yes, I can see how I confused the reader. Three of four grandparents I did not know. I meant, thank them after their death.

That's nice that your ancestor came to New Jersey in 1676. The traffic was probably much less congested then. The George Washington Bridge wasn't built then, so your ancestor likely had to take a ferry to NYC to do any shopping at Herald Square (I don't think Bloomingdale's was built then).

I am fascinated by people that had ancestors in the U.S. (colonies) that far back. I'm not kidding, since when they celebrate Thanksgiving in November, they truly understand the holiday. I always feel like an imposter on that holiday, since life was easier, obviously, when my grandparents came. Also, as one can see in any old cemetery, how families died from fevers, etc. at comparatively young ages. Those old cemeteries are very sad when seeing how families lived with members dying on an ongoing basis. So different than modern life.

I'll thank your ancestors too, if you don't mind, for struggling in a new land, so centuries later there was a country my family could come to and live a better life.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 08:53 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Foofie wrote:
many that had an ancestor coming before 1924 didn't have that ancestor arrive in an airplane.

I'm curious, Foofie. How many immigrants do you think arrived in the U.S. on/in an airplane before 1924?

I was attempting to point out that coming to the U.S. nowadays is easier than by ship in an earlier era. There weren't any Transatlantic flights in 1924 I assume?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2007 10:49 am
Thanksgiving was declared a holiday by Abraham Lincoln in 1863--it had nothing to do with the original colonists. You're suffering from a bad case of bad history--American history texts outside of the "Old South" have long been dominated by "New England-centric" fairy tales.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 3 Oct, 2007 08:14 pm
Setanta wrote:
Thanksgiving was declared a holiday by Abraham Lincoln in 1863--it had nothing to do with the original colonists. You're suffering from a bad case of bad history--American history texts outside of the "Old South" have long been dominated by "New England-centric" fairy tales.

And Christmas was superimposed on the pagan holiday of Saturnalia, the pagan's midwinter feast. It's the current meaning of a holiday that matters. So, the Pilgrim and Indian story is what people are celebrating today, since all the Thanksgiving parades around the country subscribe to the Pilgrim and Indian story.

Your point is like explaining that there's no Santa Claus. Santa Claus exists in the manner in which Christmas is celebrated. The Thankgiving dinner between Pilgrims and Indians also exists in the manner in which the holiday is celebrated.

And, since the Old South did not win the Civil War (aka, War of Northern Aggression), guess who gets to write the fairy tales.
0 Replies