New fees for becoming a US citizen

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 02:53 am
Do you think many legal immigrants will be discouraged because of the greater cost (from$405 to $675)? Has any fund been set up to help legal immigrants cover the new higher fee?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,235 • Replies: 50
No top replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 11:46 am
The fee is still less then $1000 isn't it? How much do they pay a coyote to bring them over the border? How much do they pay for their fake ID's with the names of US citizens on them so they can get a job here?

They had another bust the other day this time with McDonalds, discovered because of ID theft. I think the money they spend on ID's and coyotes should be changed into money to get legal paperwork from the US govt so that they don't need to spend money on illegal paperwork.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 11:52 am
Quote:
legal immigrants

Please note what group I specified.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 11:53 am
Tom, no, not really; it isn't that much more money then before, honestly.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 12:02 pm
That depends on your perspective, doesn't it?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 12:05 pm
Re: New fees for becoming a US citizen
Tomkitten wrote:
Quote:
legal immigrants

Please note what group I specified.

Will this same fee not apply to those who are illegal trying to become legal.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 12:07 pm
Tomkitten wrote:
That depends on your perspective, doesn't it?

No, it doesn't.

I expect anyone who wants to come to America to have at least some funding to bring with them; the increase isn't very much money, and if it's too much money for you to be able to afford to immigrate, then we don't really want you here.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 08:10 pm
Wasn't a percentage of the first immigrants on the Mayflower indentured servants? Why can't there be a government loan to pay off, for legal status?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 08:32 pm
$400? That's nothing.
When I will go through the process of obtaining a green card, it will be anywhere between $15,000- $20,000 - including all legal fees, labor certification process, fees, etc. etc...

however, these days one, even a foreigner, can obtain a loan rather easily, i think. it can be with a higher interest rate, but still. it's still less money than most flight tickets that will get you to the U.S.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 10:09 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I expect anyone who wants to come to America to have at least some funding to bring with them; the increase isn't very much money, and if it's too much money for you to be able to afford to immigrate, then we don't really want you here.

I agree, and I paid my dues!
Actually, in order to become a US citizen, one has to live continuously
in the US for 5 years prior to applying, in addition to a valid alien resident
card (green card), and proof of financial independence from the state,
which translates to being self-supportive.

So yes, whoever applies for citizenship is capable of paying the fees.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 02:11 am
Well, I can see how someone has scraped together the air fare, and become self-supporting, but not have enough saved to pay the fee. Many people in this country have jobs that pay just enough to keep going, but don't allow for much, if any, saving. New immigrants (and, again, I'm talking LEGAL immigrants) don't usually get the best-paying jobs; illnesses happen; children come along - even $675 can be hard to pull together.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 03:18 am
Yes I think a fee is appropriate

The US would have to pay a much larger fee to get me interested.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 06:25 am
I'm not objecting to the idea of fees; I think fees are perfectly appropriate. I just think the sudden rise is excessive,
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 07:56 am
But, as CJ already noted, you have to live in the U.S. for 5 whole years before you get citizenship. 5 years is a long enough time to save $400 together. It really does not strike me as an exorbitant amount of money, and I'm one that the fee applies to - i'll probably pay it one day.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 10:41 am
dagmaraka wrote:
But, as CJ already noted, you have to live in the U.S. for 5 whole years before you get citizenship. 5 years is a long enough time to save $400 together. It really does not strike me as an exorbitant amount of money, and I'm one that the fee applies to - i'll probably pay it one day.

Why not have a sliding fee scale? Those that are intelligent, young and attractive (including height) would have a token fee. They would be a "nicer" addition to the gene pool. Doesn't anyone care about aesthetics, regarding the immigrants???
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 10:42 am
dagmaraka wrote:

Why not have a sliding fee scale? Those that are intelligent, young and attractive (including height) would have a token fee. They would be a "nicer" addition to the gene pool. Doesn't anyone care about aesthetics, regarding the immigrants???
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 10:46 am
well, i only hope you're joking.

if not, there are standards that were once applied much along the lines you suggest. Nazis came up with them. Racial hygiene it was called.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 11:03 am
Well, if indeed it was a joke, it was in poor taste and doesn't get
better when posted twice.

dagmar, did you notice, that foofie is plastering his posts with the word
"intelligence" over and over again, in addition to mentioning his own
intelligence. Then again, he probably has to - otherwise we, the
reader, would never notice.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 11:04 am
dagmaraka wrote:

if not, there are standards that were once applied much along the lines you suggest. Nazis came up with them. Racial hygiene it was called.

No. The Nazis subtracted the supposed negative citizens from the gene pool. I'm only thinking of adding positve traits to the gene pool. The supposed negative citizens remain in all their magnificence.

And what's wrong with good looks and height? You've got something against Clint Eastwood type of looks?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 Oct, 2007 11:06 am
Foofie wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:

No. The Nazis subtracted the supposed negative citizens from the gene pool. I'm only thinking of adding positve traits to the gene pool. The supposed negative citizens remain in all their magnificence.

And what's wrong with good looks and height? You've got something against Clint Eastwood type of looks?

Smaller humans are actually more efficient.

My girlfriend lives a life which is typical in quality to mine; yet she takes up less space, eats half as much, drinks half as much water, and produces less waste. There's every reason to believe that small stature will be an advantage in our future society, especially if space travel becomes more commonplace.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies