Where is Your Home?

mikey

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 11:57 pm
my home is on cape cod, but i feel more at home in somereville, cambridge, south boston, dorchester and vicinity,,,i don't have a clue as to why i feel like that.

i've lived here on the cape most of my life and if i ever leave i will always come back here, it's home now.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 12:17 am
Heeven wrote:
My home will always be Ireland. I was born and raised there and it's like a second-skin.

I remember the cupboard where my mom would store the Christmas pudding and how I would stick my nose in just to smell the wonderful aroma of it.

Tell us about this pudding? I think it will surpise people.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 12:30 am
My home....The southern states because that is where my heart is. I grew up in Canada but have lived in GA alot. I have a nice place in GA and love it that is my home.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 12:43 am
Welcome, Kerver! Hope we see you lots. Really, you live from your car, and move around so much? In the USA? You woke the thread....lol!

Gus - I pray for all of us, hearing that...hi CI!

Mikey - cape Cod...mmmmmmmmm. Hi Husker and
Safecracker. Not Canada, but the south...hmmmm. What appeals to you about the south?
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 12:59 am
mmmmm? deb?

door's got not lock,,,,,,open all the time whether i'm here or not. actually the key is frozen in it, been that way twenty some odd years.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 01:17 am
LOL Mikey - li'l matter of the money and such! But thankee!
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 01:39 am
what appeals to me about the south is the attitude the morals...I'm not saying other ppl don't got them but I find morals are still treasured in the sout more then other places. Plus my womans accent is well sexy. There are other reasons but in general it's just a more relaxed way of life,
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 10:23 am
safecracker, "Relaxed way of life" sounds just dandy. The hustle-bustle of Silicon Valley has its attractions and detractions, but it's vicinity to the ocean, San Francisco, and the Sierra Nevada mountain range makes it an ideal place to live. The culture is also nice, because most are well educated, and we have some pretty nefty universities like Cal, Berkeley, Stanford, Santa Clara University, and the San Francisco University. Ofcoarse being near the Napa-Sonoma wine country is nice too!
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 12:07 pm
This is a great thread -- I've enjoyed reading the different ideas and stories of home.

Home is something that took me years to define. It was never my mother's or father's homes, nor any of the many apartments I lived in after leaving my mother's home. I came close to feeling at home in a place I shared with a roommate in college, but now I think I've got it figured out.

My husband and I were actually talking about this last night -- about how lucky we are to have a place that feels comfortable for many people, and that in itself makes it feel like home to us.

We figured this out with the first apartment we lived in -- where we lived until buying the home we're in now. At that time, we were settling from having truely "gypsy" lifestyles, thus no furniture or basic supplies like kitchen goods. When we were shopping for a coffee table, hubby's one requirement was that it look okay but be second hand and already have a couple of glass rings on it, so that no one would feel like they couldn't put their feet up or put a glass on the table without a coaster. So we found a great-looking 1950's Lane dovetail with a few water stains already on it. We ignored the "walls must stay white" rule applied to most all apartments, and painted it with our favorite colors. We bought the most comfy furniture we could find, and all of the pre-planning for auto-comfort worked, and luckily it's moved to our new home with us. Our friends and family have no qualms about just dropping by, or calling to say they're coming over (not asking, just announcing they're coming). They're not unsure about whether they should help themselves in the kitchen or not, or whether we mind if they grab a bottle of wine and open it. Our place has become the place where people come to chill out, tell long-winded stories, and laugh. That almost constant activity that goes on around here makes our house a home.

And when his mom offered to buy us a new coffee table for a homewarming gift, we declined. I saw one like it on ebay that sold for a pretty good price, and did a google search to find that the original ad for the same table boasted that even placing glasses on the surface wouldn't mar the fine finish!
0 Replies

crashlanded vr2

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 02:36 pm
There is no home...it is an illusion
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 02:44 pm
home is where you feel most comfotable that is no illusion. before you try to tell me emotion is an illusion I must say anything we actually "feel is not an illusion wheather it is solid matter or not.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 02:44 pm
crashland, WELCOME to A2K. "No home - all illusion" is a philosophical statement, and A2K has plenty of those! LOL
0 Replies

kerver

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 02:48 pm
My car hardly gets used, because in retirement, there is little need. I think I'm averaging about 5,000 miles a year.

I could put some miles on it for you. How much for the car?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 02:53 pm
kerver, Thanks for the offer, but I think I'm hanging onto this one. It's easy to drive, comfortable, and quiet. It's a 1995, but still under 50k miles. Still runs pretty good for almost a decade old car. Wink
0 Replies

kerver

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 02:54 pm
lol...hey, my car is way older then yours.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 02:58 pm
Okay, kerver, you have braggin rights. Wink
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 03:11 pm
kerver wrote:
lol...hey, my car is way older then yours.

my car is 1985 and has 189k miles on it.
0 Replies

kerver

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 03:17 pm
My car is an 87 Ford Tempo, over 250k on, hoping it will make it just one more year...lol
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 03:25 pm
kerver, My wife and I completed the Trans-Canada Train Tour earlier this month. Where abouts in Canada do you live? Saw a whole lot of 87 Ford Tempos in Canada. What color is yours? LOL
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 03:30 pm
Welcome crashlanded - you appear far from home? LOL!

Your definition of home is interesting, Liberty D!

I admire your generosity of spirit - but find that, these days, I dislike the "drop-in" - unlike years ago, when life was a constant round of people dropping by. I confess, I guard my things from coffee rings and such - sigh - methinks your ideas are better. I love being surrounded with the things I have chosen, and am a busy "nester". A common response of people who come in is to relax - gaze out the windows to the park across the road - and become a little entranced and quiet. Not when there is more than one person, though! Numbers seem to outweigh the quieting effect of the place.
0 Replies