Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 08:29 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 962 • Replies: 8
No top replies

averner

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 10:38 am
if he's not getting chicks by talking, then he's saying the wrong things, that's all

everyone knows a real playa can talk a girl into bed

[edit: oh wait it's from the onion Shocked]
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 11:16 am
yeah, they got you again.

the sickest joke about the onion, and about this country, is you just can't tell parody and news apart anymore. jesus, that's sad. but it's not you, and it's certainly not just you.
0 Replies

averner

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 11:32 am
I could never tell when people are joking Smile

As for the state of the world, irony did not exist as a concept to the masses until recently.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2007 12:04 pm
that's because reagan had never been in the oval office.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 04:47 am
Quote:
Besides, when you start off a date right away by saying "Hello" and immediately giving her 10 minutes of back-and-forth that shows that you're both intelligent and entertaining, that's all you're ever going to be in her mind: a great talk.

Quote:
She kept me around for a few months, but she just used me for my intellect and emotions.

This was funny. These parts reminded me of me (in that that's what I immediately notice (about people in general though- not just males).
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 06:30 am
ive noticed being the strong silent type isnt that much of a virtue nowdays.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 07:59 am
strong silence worked for the first few days after 9/11. ever since then, the right and left have been trying to cannibalize the other.

on the other hand, i'm sure a lot of us that agree that now isn't the best time in history to be silent, there are a number of us that wish the discourse could be a bit more productive... not to presume we can even agree on what "productive" is. fortunately, not all the world's political parties are quite as easy to arbitrarily divide. no matter what though, don't count on silence any time soon. all the people pushing for it just make people want to cry out louder.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 06:46 am
I found this poem and it reminded me of this thread:

The Sacred
by: Stephen Dunn

And the teacher asked if anyone had
a sacred place
and the students fidgeted and shrank

in their chairs, , the most serious of them all
said it was his car,
being in it alone, his tape deck playing

things he'd chosen, and others knew the truth
had been spoken
and began speaking about their rooms,

their hiding places, but the car kept coming up,
the car in motion,
music filling it, and sometimes one other person

who understood the bright altar of the dashboard
and how far away
a car could keep him from the need

to speak, or to answer; the key
in having a key
and putting it in, and going.

It is kind of sacred and magical when you find someone who can share silence with you- without feeling uncomfortable. Same thing with music. I have memories of two people with whom I loved traveling in cars at twilight or nighttime- in the dark- no talking- just harmonizing to songs. And even if you didn't know the words- you could just hum the tune- your voices intertwining- no words necessary. I think people should sing together more before they get married.
0 Replies