Hearing voices: when to worry?

Noddy24

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 02:41 pm
You can last until next week--ajd then on and on, one day at a time.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 07:53 pm
Burleigh Heads was home to many Aboriginal tribes and they were called 'The Salt Water People'. They were called that because they didn't live in the Out Back, they lived near the beach. One of these tribes was called Gombemberri. Their tribe is over 5000 years old. In 1936 the Gombemerri people stopped having their ceremonies. Kiala is just one of many greetings from the Aboriginal language.

In early times, the natives had a very sacred "borah" or ceremonial arena in the scrubby landward slope of Jellargul. Should any uninitiated Aboriginal intrude there or even touch any object, however trifling, death was sure to inevitably follow this impious act, as the following legend told to me will definitely prove.

Once upon a time a "tchaboo" (little boy), in a camp inland from here, told his mother that he wanted to go to the beach for the day. She agreed, but warned him not to pick up anything near the borah. He promised, but in passing the vicinity of the "ring", an irresistible desire possessed him, and he picked up just the very smallest pebble he could see, and instantly dropped it on the ground again. He felt no ill-effects till next morning, when he became, rapidly, very sick. The "doctor" of the tribe was called in, and he performed certain ceremonies on, and over, the lad, who recovered, but - mark the potency of borah magic - the doctor had not killed the curse: he had merely transferred it from the boy to himself, for the next day he sickened and died, in agony proportionate to the enormity of the offence of desecrating the borah.

In early times, the natives had a very sacred "borah" or ceremonial arena in the scrubby landward slope of Jellargul. Should any uninitiated Aboriginal intrude there or even touch any object, however trifling, death was sure to inevitably follow this impious act, as the following legend told to me will definitely prove.

Once upon a time a "tchaboo" (little boy), in a camp inland from here, told his mother that he wanted to go to the beach for the day. She agreed, but warned him not to pick up anything near the borah. He promised, but in passing the vicinity of the "ring", an irresistible desire possessed him, and he picked up just the very smallest pebble he could see, and instantly dropped it on the ground again. He felt no ill-effects till next morning, when he became, rapidly, very sick. The "doctor" of the tribe was called in, and he performed certain ceremonies on, and over, the lad, who recovered, but - mark the potency of borah magic -

The doctor had not killed the curse: he had merely transferred it from the boy to himself, for the next day he sickened and died, in agony proportionate to the enormity of the offence of desecrating the borah.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 01:32 am
boomerang wrote:
I might agree if there seemed to be any kind of "debate" going on. Right now, the water people* tell him to do it and he does it.

Extreme emotion is something we've seen a lot of lately around here..... hmmmm.....

I'm trying not to fret about it or make a big issue of it. I mentioned it to the therapist we're going to see and she asked me a bit more about it when we had our phone consultation. I'm sure it will come up again in our conversation next week.

Thank you all for putting my mind at ease and for offering suggestions on how to combat the water people.

*Just thought I'd mention -- Mo doesn't call them the water-people. He told me and Mr. B that they were people made out of something that looked kind of like water. They went into his head while he was asleep one night and have been telling him what to do ever since.

Extreme emotion....I wouldn't be thinking of that and possible worrying voices in that way...

The trauma means Mo is less able to regulate his emotions than most kids of his age, hence his emotions are extreme...

I don't know that anyone is saying that the extremes of emotion that peple with unresolved trauma have trigger the schizophrenia, rather that the trauma, and, for people without good stable carers in their childhood years, the ongoing traumatic events they arre likely to suffer, renders them more likely to develop schizophrenia, if susceptible.

I wouldn't be worrying about Mo's emotional outbursts as triggering illness, is the direct way of what I have been saying in a round about way.

You already know he's traumatised.

And that he has desires to act out and finds it EXTREMELY hard not to when he is disorganized and triggered...presumably in this case by CHANGE. (Always a monster for these kids)

He just wants to believe the people are making him do it, rather than acknowledge that these are HIS feelings, is my guess. Seen it in many, many kids.

The embracing and accepting of the good/bad in himself thing is hard for all kids, (and lots of adults, hence witch hunts and Cold Wars and holocausts and desires that paedophiles be tortured and beaten to death in prison and such)...but for Mo it is harder...because he was not able to see his mother accept and process his anger and hatred and such for him as a baby, and still love him...

That's what you guys are doing. And it's HARD.

Someone said something about childhood onset schizophrenia.......my understanding is that this is generally now seen as a furphy, although it is still talked about by paediatricians here.....it used to be talked about a lot in the seventies...that and "pre schizophrenia." I worked with some kids with this as a diagnosis when I was still a student...many of these would now be seen as autism spectrum disorder sufferers, and that ain't Mo.

I suppose nobody is going to say that it doesn't exist, because reality is infinitely diverse.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2007 02:21 am
I'm a little concerned that the water people may get attention and solidify even more. A delicate balancing act between completly ignoring these figments of an active imagination and giving them real credence.

One of my kids blamed "The Ghost" for the things that happened around the house that they wouldn't own up to.

Its pretty normal I think.
0 Replies