Will Obama Give Hillary the VP Nod?

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 08:42 pm
blatham wrote:
Quote:
Again, there is certainly some sexism going on (I'm not 100% immune to it myself), but there is NO justification for you to ascribe Obama's rise or Hillary's recent hiccup to it.

No, there wouldn't be. But that isn't an argument I've advanced.
Really? That's funny... because that's what I was discussing with you.
[i]You[/i] wrote:
Here's an example of where my predictions were influenced by the general and fairly broad consensus that Hillary would end up as the candidate. Of course, that could still happen, but it now seems to me that Obama might be able to achieve some of the things that many of us initially hoped. That's very good news to me. I'm really pleased as punch with the results including Huckabee's win.

But two elements in all of this discourage me. First, I have come to conclude that cultural resistance to a female president is deeper and more tenacious than even I feared.
Must just be a coincidence that you arrived at that conclusion less than 24 hours after Clinton finished third to Obama's first. I guess I got it wrong...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 08:47 pm
Interesting stuff, fbaezer.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 08:58 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
blatham wrote:
Quote:
Again, there is certainly some sexism going on (I'm not 100% immune to it myself), but there is NO justification for you to ascribe Obama's rise or Hillary's recent hiccup to it.

[i]You[/i] wrote:
Here's an example of where my predictions were influenced by the general and fairly broad consensus that Hillary would end up as the candidate. Of course, that could still happen, but it now seems to me that Obama might be able to achieve some of the things that many of us initially hoped. That's very good news to me. I'm really pleased as punch with the results including Huckabee's win.

But two elements in all of this discourage me. First, I have come to conclude that cultural resistance to a female president is deeper and more tenacious than even I feared.
Must just be a coincidence that you arrived at that conclusion less than 24 hours after Clinton finished third to Obama's first. I guess I got it wrong...

Yes, you've got it wrong. This is an on-going discussion we've been having here for about a year.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 09:13 pm
paull wrote:
Nice Iowa turnout. Hillary is finally going to have to learn to cook, drive, and suck SOMETHING.

Oh grow up already.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 09:13 pm
blatham wrote:

Tell me... how significant is gender (in the manner of the dispute we are engaged in here) in Mexican politics? Secondly, from your perspective, do you grant some or much credit to my arguments that notions of Hillary here in the US are informed by gender biases - abetted or strengthened by long term political attacks which utilize negative gender ideas and which arise (at least in part) from an acute ideological rejection of feminism?

On the first matter, we have had women as national leaders of two of the main political parties: at the moment Beatriz Paredes leads the PRI (being a national party leader is an important job, like in Europe, not like in the US), a few women governors (again, from 2 of the 3 main parties: none from the conservatives) and a few women presidential candidates. But all women presidential candidates have been from minor parties, with no chance of winning. Three of them (Rosario Ibarra in 1982, Cecilia Soto in 1994 and Patricia Mercado in 2006) gathered enough votes to keep public funding for their party. Both Soto and Mercado had a coat-tail long enough to enable their party to arrive to Congress. And the most influential union leader, the leader of the teachers' union, which boasts 2 million members is a woman... strong enough to effectively block a male candidate's possibilities in 2006.
The gender issue has not mattered in governor races, but we still haven't seen a woman make a serious try for the presidency.

On the second matter, I can only post an opinion. And I agree with you, blatham.
The Hillary nutcracker comes to mind.
The US has a huge cultural divide. This is one of the places where it shows.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 09:22 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
paull wrote:
Nice Iowa turnout. Hillary is finally going to have to learn to cook, drive, and suck SOMETHING.

Oh grow up already.

Paull provides a neat example of the sexist attack on Hilary that is so obvious....however, I do wonder if it is just the right wing nuts who espouse it, and do so noisily here and on things like Fox, so I am aware of it, and that they would be equally gross re any male candidate?

There is a reaction to Hillary that reminds me of the kind of evil "possession" is the best word I can think of really (though I know that is daft in reality) that gripped the crasser Australians re Lindy Chamberlain...though Bill attracts the same insane hatred....

I have no idea whether sexism has had any real effect on Hillary's chances......but it sure is there.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 09:22 pm
blatham wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
blatham wrote:
Quote:

[i]You[/i] wrote:

Yes, you've got it wrong. This is an on-going discussion we've been having here for about a year.
Laughing Really?

So that wasn't an excerpt from your very first post on this thread titled: "Will Obama Give Hillary the VP Nod?"? And the excerpted portion wasn't clipped right after you agreed with eoe that last night was a good night to revive it?

(You really need to work on your bob and weave, old friend. :razz:)
Perhaps this will refresh your memory…

blatham wrote:
eoe wrote:
Tonight is the night to revive this one, I think. Very Happy

LOL...indeed it is.

0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 09:34 pm
fbaezer wrote:
blatham wrote:

Tell me... how significant is gender (in the manner of the dispute we are engaged in here) in Mexican politics? Secondly, from your perspective, do you grant some or much credit to my arguments that notions of Hillary here in the US are informed by gender biases - abetted or strengthened by long term political attacks which utilize negative gender ideas and which arise (at least in part) from an acute ideological rejection of feminism?

On the first matter, we have had women as national leaders of two of the main political parties: at the moment Beatriz Paredes leads the PRI (being a national party leader is an important job, like in Europe, not like in the US), a few women governors (again, from 2 of the 3 main parties: none from the conservatives) and a few women presidential candidates. But all women presidential candidates have been from minor parties, with no chance of winning. Three of them (Rosario Ibarra in 1982, Cecilia Soto in 1994 and Patricia Mercado in 2006) gathered enough votes to keep public funding for their party. Both Soto and Mercado had a coat-tail long enough to enable their party to arrive to Congress. And the most influential union leader, the leader of the teachers' union, which boasts 2 million members is a woman... strong enough to effectively block a male candidate's possibilities in 2006.
The gender issue has not mattered in governor races, but we still haven't seen a woman make a serious try for the presidency.

On the second matter, I can only post an opinion. And I agree with you, blatham.
The Hillary nutcracker comes to mind.
The US has a huge cultural divide. This is one of the places where it shows.

Thanks for setting out your answers for me. May your familly find oil under the house.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 09:35 pm
blatham wrote:
fbaezer wrote:
nimh wrote:

Bachelet got elected in Chile and that's a macho enough country I suppose.

A few years ago I dug profoundly into a international poll on values, and the results were astonishing.
The countries were ranked on two levels: "survival versus postmodern values" and "tradition versus legal values".
The first one is about what matters more to people: strictly economic wellbeing or "quality of life" (vacations, spare time, participation within the community, etc). The second one is about who tells people what to do: tradition -and this could mean churches, too- or the legal binding.

As one might imagine, the postmodern-legal societies are in Northern Europe: Scandinavia, the Netherlands. Germany is very high in the "legal" axis, but not so much in the "postmodern" one.
China is very high in the "legal" axis" but totally "survival" prone.
Most Eastern European countries are somewhat behind China, but end in the same segment.

Now here comes the interesting stuff: Strongly Catholic European countries (Poland, Ireland), richer Latin American Countries (Mexico, Chile and Argentina) AND the United States end up around the same spots. Middle of the road between "tradition" and "law". The US is just a little on the side of "postmodern values" and Poland is on the side of "survival".
Some Catholic European countries like Spain, Italy and France (and Canada) were between the US and the Northern European countries.

Countries like Kenya or India, and Muslim countries ranked highest in "tradition" and everyone, but India, leaned highly on "survival".

All this is to say that the US is culturally closer to its Latin American neighbors than you could imagine. Closer than most Americans imagine. And farther away from Europe than they suspect.

(If I can remember, I'll fetch the source book: it's at home)

fbaezer

Wow. That's very interesting. Lovely way to approach a bunch of questions.

I don't agree that Hillary's problem is an ideaological rejection of feminism or negative gender attacks. After all, we already have the example of Geraldine Ferraro as a Vice Presidential candidate. Her negatives were Mondale and also her failure to disclose her husband's tax return and later for mishandling campaign finances.

The negative gender attacks came from Barbara Bush when she called Geraldine a name that rhymes with rich and later hid it by apologizing for calling her a witch.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 09:36 pm
bill

When I tell you I mean X, then I mean X and not something else.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 09:40 pm
Okay then...
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 09:50 pm
Hillary's 3rd place showing in Iowa, though disappointing to her supporters, in no way constitutes the death knell for her campaign or her prospects in the Democrat Primary. The process is still at a very early stage and the historical precedents don't establish a particularly strong correlation between the finals and the results of the Iowa primary.

Perhaps the most consistent and interesting observation about the Iowa results was that in both parties somewhat anti party establishment candidates prevailed. What that may imply for the future, I don't know. (Interesting to note that in the last election clouded by such disaffection, the country elected Jimmy Carter.)

To morph the result of the Iowa Democrat primary into a rif on implicit cultural attitudes and norms in the country is not only an egregious extrapolation from insubstantial data, it also ignores a host of other factors that alone and in combination can readily explain the result with far fewer assumptions. Moreover, the fact that the same (largely white) voters chose an ivy league educated black man instead, raises some interesting questions about the assumptions implicit in this tenuous argument.

Bernie is a very good guy, but he too often interprets outcomes he doesn't like as evidence of hidden malignancies in the country. That itself reflects an interesting bias.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 09:56 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Okay then...

Thankyou
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 10:23 pm
george wrote;
Quote:
Bernie is a very good guy, but he too often interprets outcomes he doesn't like as evidence of hidden malignancies in the country. That itself reflects an interesting bias.

The earlier part of your post is far too general to allow me to make any coherent response.

As regards the bit above, last night's outcomes are entirely agreeable to me. As I've said earlier, I carry no particular torch for Hillary Clinton. I do consider that she has unique positives (who doesn't?) and that one of them is a firsthand and acute understanding of the cutthroat nature of modern american politics. But I would much rather see the sort of political engagement and enthusiasm that Obama managed to bring about in Iowa than to have more of what the last thirty years has presented to us. I'm not speaking out of some despair that "my candidate" has done poorly. I'm speaking, as regards my discussions here on Hillary, out of a deep discouragement arising from what I perceive to be (as I said) a tenacious gender bias.

We briefly had a woman (Kim Campbell) as Prime Minister in Canada when Brian Mulroney retired while in office, she then won the party leadership contest and moved into the PM position which she held for some months before losing the election (because her former boss and his party had become so broadly despised that the Conservative Party itself was destroyed as a political entity). Fbaezer's study places Canada just where I place it...somewhere between the US and the northern European states. As one canadian writer put it when Canada legalized gay marriage and was moving to decriminalize drugs, "I woke up this morning to find my country in Europe." But even we would have some big bumps in the road if another female ran for PM. And the US is clearly even worse off than we in this matter.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 10:33 pm
dlowan wrote:
Butrflynet wrote:
paull wrote:

Oh grow up already.

Paull provides a neat example of the sexist attack on Hilary that is so obvious....however, I do wonder if it is just the right wing nuts who espouse it, and do so noisily here and on things like Fox, so I am aware of it, and that they would be equally gross re any male candidate?

There is a reaction to Hillary that reminds me of the kind of evil "possession" is the best word I can think of really (though I know that is daft in reality) that gripped the crasser Australians re Lindy Chamberlain...though Bill attracts the same insane hatred....

I have no idea whether sexism has had any real effect on Hillary's chances......but it sure is there.

Certainly paull can be accused of crass sexisim, but one has to wonder if you have ever watched FOX if you you believe it regularly features such points of view. Sure a nut may turn up on FOX from time to time, but the same occurs on MSNBC and CNBC. I don't think I've ever seen you lump them together with FOX.

Obviously there are people who really do not like Mrs Clinton, and who are vile nuts, but the same can be said for some people who do not like George Bush.

The majority of people who do not want Hillary to be president do not hate women. Do the people who insult Laura Bush or Condy Rice hate women? I'm sure some do, but certainly not all.

People can dislike Hillary Clinton without being sexist, or Barrack Obama without being racist, or Mitt Romney without being intolerant of Mormens, or Barney Frank without being homophobes, or Joe Liebermann without being anti-semites etc etc etc.

There are valid reasons not to like the woman. She is not a likeable person. Some may respect her, admire her, and even like her, but there are plenty of rational explanations for not liking her which do not involve sexism.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:09 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Great guy. Pity his glass is always at least half empty.

Blatham: For a year now I've been reading how:
America isn't ready for a black president. Sad
Oh, the evil trickery of it all.
Obama wins Iowa. Do we stop and say, "wow, maybe we are ready for a black president!", or do we immediately shift to:
America isn't ready for a female president. Sad

Since my glass if half full; I'm excited to see the first signs of the former being demonstrated nonsense and don't believe one candidate's early rejection constitutes any proof of the latter.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 12:02 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:

Obama wins Iowa. Do we stop and say, "wow, maybe we are ready for a black president!", or do we immediately shift to:

Since my glass if half full; I'm excited to see the first signs of the former being demonstrated nonsense and don't believe one candidate's early rejection constitutes any proof of the latter.

Though you speak as someone who resides in the deep end of an abyssmal denial that has been filled from an endless reservoir of WASP insulation and privilege, even you should be able to acknowledge that the doubts about the realtime status of race and gender equality in the US are at least not unreasonable. But then I'm just a cockeyed optimist.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 12:30 am
snood wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:

Though you speak as someone who resides in the deep end of an abyssmal denial that has been filled from an endless reservoir of WASP insulation and privilege, even you should be able to acknowledge that the doubts about the realtime status of race and gender equality in the US are at least not unreasonable. But then I'm just a cockeyed optimist.
I'm beginning to think this post contained precisely 13 too many characters. :wink:

What is your problem lately? Did someone get away with picking on you while I didn't have your back, or something?

(Where is that feisty lady anyway?)
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 12:34 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
snood wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:

I'm beginning to think this post contained precisely 13 too many characters. :wink:

What is your problem lately? Did someone get away with picking on you while I didn't have your back, or something?

(Where is that feisty lady anyway?)

I'd like to believe O"Bill that you are not just the know-it-all jackass you seem to be, and that you can actually give me credit for having an honest to god viewpoint that opposes yours without attributing it to a "'tude" or some emotional blip. I've got to rein in my audacious idealism.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 5 Jan, 2008 12:49 am
snood wrote:
I'd like to believe O"Bill that you are not just the know-it-all jackass you seem to be, and that you can actually give me credit for having an honest to god viewpoint that opposes yours without attributing it to a "'tude" or some emotional blip. I've got to rein in my audacious idealism.
Perhaps if you produce something that doesn't remind me of a hungry crybaby, whose already late for his nap; I will. In the mean time; I'll just laugh at the ass you're making of yourself all over the board... while regretting I didn't take more pleasure in watching Lash ride you around the board like a Donkey.
0 Replies